Film: Jack (1996)
A 1996 film by Francis Ford Coppola starring Robin Williams as a young boy named Jack who, due to an extremely rare disease that is never officially named, ages at four times the normal human rate. The film explores his unique situation, from being the only 10-year-old who can buy pornography, to being mistaken for his elementary school's principal, to all the medical problems he must face as his expedient aging continues.
This film provides examples of:
- Artistic License – Biology: There is a rare disease called Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome, in which a child from an early age exhibits rapid aging of the body◊, but not the mind. The longest they usually live is to their early 20s. The movie disease seems to match this pretty well, save for the looking like a normal adult part. Depending on your interpretation, this may be justified by Rule of Symbolism and An Aesop about doing what you can with the time you have.
- A doctor does specifically mention progeria, and that it's not what Jack has, stating that Jack's condition is completely unprecedented.
- Award Bait Song: Star by Bryan Adams.
- Bar Brawl: Jack is mistaken for an adult, and gets into a fight.
- Cool Teacher: Jack's tutor.
- Drowning My Sorrows: When Jack is depressed, he goes to the bar that Luis's mother mentioned to him. Jack is too young to drink in a bar, but because he looks old enough to be there, no one can tell the difference.
- Farts on Fire
- Good Parents: Given the situation and circumstances, Jack's parents are practically saints.
- Homeschooled Kids: Jack is one intermittently; his parents want to protect him.
- Hot for Teacher: Why not develop a crush? She's Jennifer Lopez!
- Precocious Crush: Jack doesn't realize that he is too young for her, and after his heart is broken, he has a heart attack.
- Kiddie Kid: Jack acts a few years younger than his age, probably due to his sheltered lifestyle.
- Man Child: Jack, of course.
- Mood Whiplash: Is both something of a fun kid-friendly comedy and an emotional drama.
- Never Trust a Trailer: It was pretty much marketed as Big WITH ROBIN WILLIAMS!.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Completely averted; Jack can't help but grow up.
- Protagonist Title
- Rapid Aging: At a ratio of 4:1, most of the movie showing Jack at age 10 with the body of a 40-year-old.
- Shrinking Violet: Jack, when he first goes to school.
- Visual Pun: The pair of females sitting making derogatory comments about Jack's mother's weight at the start of the film are dressed as catgirls... they're being catty.
- Younger Than They Look
- Zerg Rush: Jack's schoolmates approach his house in waves, asking his mother to let him out to play.