A blog that consists mostly of reviews
of the media that the author watches/reads, or perhaps a review site constructed with blogging software. Particularly common are anime blogs (usually on an episode-by-episode basis) and book review blogs. These can build up a community of readers who share the writer's tastes - in the case of TV shows and anime fansubs, considerable discussions can arise in comment sections for the entries, acting almost like a discussion forum.
Anime & Manga
- The Unshaved Mouse is in the midst of a project to review every single film in the Disney Animated Canon with the occasional foray into Disney's best-known live action films. His lengthy reviews include interesting information on the history of the Disney company, Running Gags that include a Sarcastic Map of Wartime Europe and a Comrade-turned-Commie Crow, and plenty of humor and constructive criticism even in reviews for films he absolutely despises.
- Cinnamon Bunzuh! is a blog that reviews the Animorphs series. It uses an hybrid synopsis/stream-of-thought discussion format, with the authors starting with a description and then going into a conversational play-by-play of sorts of the notable moments in a book. Found here.
- Mark Reads Harry Potter, is a popular blog that reviews each Harry Potter book, chapter by chapter. Mark has finished the entire series and liked it a lot. Before that, there was Mark Reads Twilight. He didn't like it very much. He has since added more reviews, including The Hunger Games, Firefly, Doctor Who, and Avatar: The Last Airbender . His sites are collectively called Mark Does Stuff.
- Reasoning with Vampires is a blog dedicated to providing a line by line analysis of the Twilight series. This differs from most criticism of Twilight in that the blog focuses on grammar, rhetoric, and technical execution instead of plot. (Though there is still plenty of criticism of the plot.)
- Stainless Steel Droppings does this for science fiction and fantasy books, movies of all genres and - increasingly - genre-related art and illustration.
- BloggerBeware is a blog that reviews (read: ingeniously mocks) every one of R.L. Stine's Goosebumps, Goosebumps 2000, and eventually, Horrorland books. Has its own main page here.
- KILL IT WITH FIRE! is an unfinished blog panning the first Twilight novel, run by The Twilight Snarker.
- The Blytonly Obvious is a blog run by Fen that gives short, entertaining reviews on some of the books written by Enid Blyton.
- Dottie Smith's Verbal Menagerie is a blog which reviews urban fantasy with female leads chapter by chapter. She's currently reviewing the Anita Blake series.
- SKJAM! Reviews is a book and popular culture review site run by SKJAM. It features a lot of small press books as those are the publishers that will send him review copies, but also has anime he's watched and books he purchased with his own money.
- Eat Your Kimchi: The Stawski's talk about things other than music videos, but the biggest audience is for those reviews.