of science-fiction and RPG author C.T Phipps (Halt Evil Doer!
). The United Federation Of Charles
chiefly reviews video games, science fiction novels (particularly from the Star Trek Expanded Universe
), and media related to video games. The author is known for writing essays regarding video games social relevance as well as discussing their subtext. Reviews tend to be positive and have many 10 out of 10 scores, which makes the exceptions all the more glaring.
The blog has gone through a number of changes through the years, now being home to more Cthulhu Mythos, Post-Apocalyptic Fiction, and Zombie-related media than Star Trek (which it was originally created to review). Charles has also started using the blog to promote his upcoming book series The Red Room
and Cthulhu Apocalypse
The blog can be read here
This blog contains examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Seems to do the opposite as he only likes to review games he enjoys.
- All Issues Are Political Issues: You be the judge.
- Discussed True Detective and Lovecraftian horror. Here
- Apologetic Attacker: Seems to be his style for negative reviews.
- Artifact Title: Now more about zombies, horror, and post-apocalyptic fiction than Star Trek.
- Artistic License - History: A Berserk Button for him. Went into a rant about Cole from LA Noir saying the Japanese oil embargo was wrong.
- Ascended Fanboy: Used to review a lot of books from Permuted Press, now is a writer for them.
- Ditto a Lovecraft fanboy who now writes Lovecraftian fiction.
- Author Appeal: Zombies, Post-Apocalypse, Noir, HP Lovecraft, Bethesda Games, Permuted Press novels, The Star Trek and Star Wars Expanded Universes, and Pirates.
- Arguably overanalyzing things.
- Author Filibuster: Has several of these as seen above.
- Apologetic Attacker: Does this when he goes into a rant about how much he hates Dead Money for Fallout: New Vegas.
- Berserk Button: the review of the Fallout: New Vegas DLC Dead Money is a sharp contrast to his usual style.
- Also seems to have this feeling for people who don't think video games have deep storytelling.
- Has a history of taking points off games he feels are subtextually sexist or racist.
- Cthulhu Mythos: A large portion of his blog is devoted to reviewing Cthulhu Mythos pastiches and adaptations.
- Permuted Press: Used to review their books, now is one of their authors. Refuses to review books he doesn't like of theirs.
- Lovecraft Lite: Helped codify the term Post-Lovecraftian
- Rage Quit: Notable for Far Cry 3 and Fallout: New Vegas Dead Money DLC.
- Review Blog
- Ridiculously Average Guy: Claims this is the basis for his reviews as he is a causal gamer who isn't very causal.
- Trope Namer: Post-Lovecraftian.
- Serious Business: Averted or played straight depending on fan.
- Urban Fantasy: What he writes along with Post-Apocalypse Mythos fiction.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Reviews a LOT of books relating to this.