"Urban Dictionary is the slang dictionary you wrote. Define your world"
— Urban Dictionary
"A place formerly used to find out about slang, and now a place that teens with no life use as a burn book to whine about celebrities, their friends, etc., let out their sexual frustrations, show off their racist/sexist/homophobic/anti-(insert religion here) opinions, troll, and babble about things they know nothing about."Created in 1999 by a college student named Aaron Peckham, the Urban Dictionary combines "anyone can add information" with a dictionary. It has currently recorded over four million words and phrases, mostly slang or slang usage. New words, definitions, and examples are submitted and then approved by the votes of both users and visitors. After that, the new additions are displayed for the world to see, forever.Many of the terms defined are derogatory or describe sexual acts, so The Urban Dictionary is not exactly something a child should browse through unsupervised. It also gives personal opinions by contributors on certain subjects (bands, movies, books...), with contributors rarely considering the opinions of others. It can be useful for finding out how an unknown term is used, but don't trust it blindly; a significant fraction of the definitions are made up by the person contributing them.Urban Dictionary offers a Word of the Day on its mainpage. For a long time, they allowed users to rate from the mainpage, resulting in large numbers of negative votes. This option was eventually disabled, largely preventing this.Urban Dictionary can be found here.
— Urban Dictionary's main definition of itself.
- Author Tract: More like "contributor tract" that is, most of the definitions tend to be personal opinions of the contributor.
- Accidental Pun: An eigenpun.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: The 2nd definition for the word goose as of writing is "A ram is a ram, a donkey is an ass, and a ram in the ass is a goose".
- Comic Sutra: Almost every term will have at least one sexual definition, often one that's unlikely to exist outside the contributor's imagination.
- Does Not Like Men: Look up "man" and "misandry". The same person who wrote the definitions posted them over and over again.
- Greeting Gesture Confusion: This is referred to as a braux pas.
- He-Man Woman Hater: The (formerly) most popular definition for "evil". Complete with Insane Troll Logic.
- A majority of the most upvoted definitions for "feminism," "feminist," "woman" and "women" were this before the pages were discovered by actual feminists.
- Hollywood Atheist: Looking at the definitions for "atheism," some contributors are this. *Head Desk*
- Also see definitions for "religion," "the bible," "God," etc..
- Improbably Low IQ: The most popular definition for "1" is "The IQ of President George Bush."
- Jerkass: A lot of the contributors.
- Logical Fallacies: Oh boy... to name just one blatant example the second-highest rated comment for "Slut-Shaming" insists that nobody who understands "true feminism" would have a problem with insulting promiscious women and any feminist who disagrees is a "RadicalNeo-feminist". Plenty more examples though.
- Not Safe for Work
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: As noted, many of the terms are made up.
- Popularity Power
- Punny Name/ Hurricane of Puns: Looking up "jack shit" will give you a "genealogy" of Jack Schitt and his extended family, starting with his mother and father (Awe Schitt and O. Schitt).
- Self-Deprecation: The most popular definition of "Urban Dictionary" as shown on top of this page.
- Schmuck Bait: The "look up any word, like X" above the search bar sometimes recommends searching for "sex". If you do, the top entry insults you.
- Sophisticated as Hell: A great many of the definitions are written this way.
- Take That: Many definitions are this.
- Take That, Audience!: The first definition for "stupid"
"What you are doing right now. Get the fuck going and finish your homework."
- Also, the first definition for "procrastinate".
- Toilet Humor: If it isn't sexual humor it's this.
- Troll: Many contributors are these. And very bigoted ones.
- Unreliable Narrator: Most of the definitions are way biased, or even entirely made up.