Web Animation: Sonic Shorts
"You are aware that most of the Sonic Shorts are about me getting hurt and running into things, right?"
—Sonic to Knuckles after the latter decides to make his own shorts.
is a Newgrounds
Flash collaboration by The Sonic Paradox Team set in the Sonic the Hedgehog
universe. As expected, the shorts parody various aspects and scenarios of the games and TV shows
, but many of them contain plenty of meta-humor involving the characters' reactions to their own in-universe works.
Currently, eight "volumes", two Musicals
, a Spin-Off
, and two parody volumes (known as Sonic Shits
) have been released. The eighth volume was shown in Summer of Sonic 2013, seemingly acting as a Grand Finale
to the series. However, the team is currently working on a new Shorts collab that goes beyond the Sonic franchise and instead pulls from all of SEGA
's history. Many members of the team have since contributed to Sonic F
as well.The Sonic Paradox Team has uploaded the entire series to YouTube
. Individual shorts can also be found on their respective creators' YouTube channels.
This collaboration contains examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: "Knuckles Briefs".
- Alliterative Title
- Ambiguously Gay: Silver the Hedgehog.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Parodied, yet played straight in a Sonic Sez segment which tells the audience that copying Flash animations to YouTube without the author's permission is not cool.
Tails: Now I know!
- Antagonist in Mourning: In volume 8, Dr. Eggman cries holding a Sonic plushie after Knuckles calls him telling that Sonic died due to a life box falling on him.
- Berserk Button: Quite a few moments actually.
- If Amy has a crush on you, don't say you're gay, even if you are. Also, don't look up her skirt, or you'll be having a date with Piko Piko.
- Either Shadow gets his morning eggs, or he breaks your arms.
- Make sure Knuckles can understand what you're saying before you ramble on about your day.
- Don't threaten Vector's masculinity, or he'll attack you, even if you're female.
- Black Comedy Rape
Amy: Hey, Sonic! Guess who lost their virginity?
Sonic: Uhm, y...
Amy: ...You did! (Holds up a bottle of chloroform)
- Brain Bleach: A common subject of shorts featuring Eggman.
- Brick Joke: Comes up often, usually within the same episode. A few notable examples also reference jokes between volumes:
- In volume 6, Eggman reveals that he is so fat that he can only fit into his machines by using butter as grease. Later in volume 8, he is shown to have butter stains on his pants after climbing out of a machine.
- "And then I come in to save the day!"
- Episode 8 is full of Brick Jokes.
- In episode 6 Sonic tells Eggman to go ahead and shoot him with a wave of rings blasting out of his body which makes jokes of Knuckles breaking the master emerald (twice) and Eggman's robots jamming out
- Butt Monkey: Everyone, but Knuckles seems to be the butt of a Butt Monkey cast. Mighty can't catch a break either.
- Carnivore Confusion: In volume 7, Chris tries to feed his furry friends, and provides them with what their real life counterparts would eat; Cream the Rabbit is in tears when Tails is served rabbit, and he loves it.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: The subject of a short featuring the forgotten Sega characters Mighty the Armadillo, Ray the Flying Squirrel, and Bean the Dynamite... who even Mighty and Ray could not remember. [Bark was left out entirely.]
- Continuity Nod: Volume 5 is full of these to previous shorts.
- "Metropolis Mayhem", the sequel to "Seaside Denied", has a lot of references to the latter.
- Convection Schmonvection: Volume 8 lampshades the use of this trope in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.
Sonic: Whose idea was it to boat race in hot lava?!
- Crapsaccharine World: Dr. Eggman's Interstellar Amusement Park, where you can get hit by giant missiles... ''filled with candy''.
- Crossover: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Robotnik and SatAM Robotnik both express disapproval with Sonic X Eggman in separate skits.
- Curse Cut Short: Sonic: *Sees instruction for barrel* "Up and Down? Up and down?!? What the fu-" *cue Time Over*
- Didn't Think This Through: After Dr. Eggman blows up the Earth with the ARK's laser:
Shadow: You idiot.
Eggman: Hmm? What are you talking about, Shadow? Everything went according to plan. Now I can build my new empire.
Shadow: And exactly where are you going to build it?
- The Dog Bites Back: The final short of Sonic Shorts Volume 8 had the entire Sonic cast, from all continuities, tired of the jokes being made at their expense, go after the many Flash artists who make the shorts.
- Driven to Suicide: Big the Cat hangs himself in Episode 3 after Froggy calls him out as a loser and abandons him.
- In the "How to make your own Sonic Fan character" segment, the announcer is seen putting a gun to his own head in one outtake.
- Exact Words: In a re-enactment of the cutscene before the first Sonic vs. Shadow battle in Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic makes good on his promise that he will make Shadow eat his words. By taking the subtitles and shoving them down Shadow's mouth.
- Fan Disservice: Eggman's latest ultimate weapon? A shot of him posing in a thong set to Right Said Fred's Wonderman. Sonic is horrified.
- One Running Gag has him taunting Sonic and friends by belly dancing while dressed as a Chippendale. He dances several times and nobody can deny it's eye-melting.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Played for Laughs with an Orbulon, after realizing he can only move in one direction.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Metal Sonic, Chocola, and Froggy can be seen in the background of Metropolis Mayhem when Tails shoves a dummy ring down Cream's throat.
- Fun with Subtitles: In Volume 8, Sonic makes Shadow literally eat his words.
- Grave Humor: Knuckles's tombstone in the Omochao short.
Here lies Knuckles. Unlike Sonic I don't chuckle. I like to flex my muscles.
He dedicated his life to the protection of a precious stone. Bit of a crap life, really.
- Gilligan Cut:
Omochao: You got: the Fighting Gloves! They're yellow!
Omochao: You got: the "I Am Gay" gloves!
Knuckles: *angry growl*
- Another one in volume four:
Shadow: You blue idiot, you ate all the eggs!
Sonic: Yeah, so what if I did? What're you gonna do, break my arms?
*cuts to Sonic lying in hospital bed with broken arms*
Knuckles: You really shouldn't be giving him ideas.
- Groin Attack: Sonic defeats Metal Sonic with this.
- Guide Dang It: You bet that the infamous "Barrel of Doom" from Carnival Night makes an appearance in this series.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Silver from Knuckles Briefs.
- Hypocritical Humor: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Robotnik calls Sonic X Eggman and demands that he take his plans more seriously, then after the call, tells Scratch and Grounder to be careful with the parts for his bouncing raccoon cannon.
Robotnik: We need to hitch it up to the ocean to stop Sonic once and for all!
Scratch: Yes, your maliciousness!
: This plan makes so
- I Am the Noun: "I AM SEGA!"
- Implausible Deniability: Rouge insists that she isn't a hooker. A ring chooses that moment to slip out of her cleavage.
- Ironic Death: In Volume 8, Sonic gets crushed to death by an extra life monitor. Amy, Tails, and even Eggman are devastated, but Knuckles finds it hilarious.
- Item Get: Big the Cat does this when it seems like he finally got Froggy. Sadly, a condor suddenly showed up and took Froggy away.
- I Got Better: Said by Knuckles when recapping the events of episode 5.
- Lampshade Hanging: When Knuckles wants to create his own Flash movie, Sonic notes that a lot of the clips are him "running into things and getting hurt."
- Left the Background Music On: The intro to the Newgrounds version of Sonic Shorts 6. Eggman's robots are also often seen providing the BGM when the scene is in one of his bases.
- Mistaken Identity: Game Buddy has changed his user logo and animation style so many times it's difficult to determine which shorts he has actually created.
- In-universe, one short has Sonic becoming extremely frustrated when other characters mistake any other hedgehog (including different-colored ones like Shadow and Silver) as him.
- Musical Episode: For Summer of Sonic 2012, the Sonic Paradox Crew created Seaside Denied, which was one of these.
- Likewise, for 2013's Summer of Sonic they created a sequel, "Metropolis Mayhem", which continues the characterization and humor of the Heroes characters from its predecessor, as well as implying that this will become a full-on series as the episode ends with the characters silhouettes on the backdrop of Casino Park as the BGM plays.
- In a parody of the beginning of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles threatens Sonic for breaking into his home by using his singing voice. Volume 2 has two other singing segments, although the penultimate short is more of a "dance" segment.
- A very, very disturbing dance segment: Eggman's the one doing the dancing. Admittedly, he's not half bad for a fat guy.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Eggman's secret underwater volcano laboratory... IN SPACE!
- Only Sane Man: Espio. Different people play the part depending on the short, but he's the only one to fill the role 100% of the time.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Chicken Boo disguised as "Chris."
- Also, the two Egg Pawns dressed as Sonic and Tails in Eggman's Amusement Park ad.
- Parody Commercial: One of SoBe, another of SunnyD.
- Rage Against the Author: The Sonic characters do this in the final short of Volume 8, where they beat up and/or kill the Flash artists responsible for making the many shorts.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Tails Doll, when in his evil demeanor.
- Marine the Raccoon also takes on this appearance in one Summer of Sonic intro, which scares the living daylights out of Vector.
- Rick Roll: Done with a Knuckles plushie in the credits of Volume 5.
- Running Gag: Throughout Volume 2, Big the Cat's attempts to catch Froggy. Eventually, in Volume 3, Froggy announces he is fed up with being chased and leaves. Big, heartbroken, hangs himself.
- Sonic, in his own words, says that some of the shorts are him running into things and getting hurt.
- Every other episode has Eggman dancing topless
- Schmuck Bait: Go ahead, click the dumb looking Sonic with the bird on his head in Volume 2. We DARE you to.
- Self-Deprecation: Volume 8 ends with all of the Sonic characters turning against the creators of the series and slaughtering all of them as revenge for making fun of them.
- Shaggy Dog Story: In a short of volume 8, Knuckles has had it with Eggman stealing the Master Emerald, so he decided to move it to another place where he can't find it. This being Sonic Shorts, Knuckles places his new hiding spot right in front of where Eggman was standing. To add salt to the wound, Eggman returns and performs a literal Kick the Dog, or in that case, echidna.
- Ship Tease: Plenty of Sonamy moments exist in the shorts, and Sonadow is frequently hinted at (and, in one instance, Sonic and Shadow stumble across it... much to their mutual displeasure.) One skit even has a Die for Our Ship moment with Shadow hitting the wall as Sonic and Amy embrace.
- Shout-Out: "Sonic Shorts 2" has a short wherein Sally is in a locker room with the rest of the female game characters. Amy then shouts "An American! There's an American among us!"
- Small Name, Big Ego: Knuckles. He made Knuckles Briefs because he was jealous of all the attention Sonic was gettingnote , and he wanted to show how awesome he was. However, half of the other characters (the Chaotix, his closer pals, being the biggest offenders) merely made fun of him or made him look ridiculous.
- Smoking Hot Sex: (Robot) Sally in Volume 6. There was nothing funny about that kiss at all, Tails!
- Sorry, I'm Gay: In one Volume 5 short, Sonic reveals to Amy that he is gay and in a relationship with Tails. Amy does not take this well. (Episode 8 reveals that he was joking, but Amy is still not amused.)
- The Stoner: The Toxomister badniks in Lava Reef are portrayed as such, getting high off their own toxic fumes.
- Stylistic Suck: Knuckles Briefs, a Spin-Off of Sonic Shorts, most prominently Big the Cat's brief. Justified by the creators, in that they had to put it together quickly for Summer of Sonic '09.
- Sonic Shits and its sequel also fall under this category.
- Tails's monotone voice in the Sonic Sez section of Volume 2 is clearly a parody of Corey Bringas's Tails voice for the Sonic Adventure games.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: In Metropolis Mayhem.
Hey Big! Question real quick.// Is your name Big 'cause you're thick?// I think... it's 'cause he has a real big-// Heart!//
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Eggman in his promotional video for his Planet Wisp Interstellar Amusement Park:
Hello. I am Dr. Eggman, amusement park builder and (speaking rapidly) not-an-evil-mastermind-trying-to-capture-aliens-for-hyper-go-on-power.
- Synchro-Vox: In "How to Create a Sonic Fan Character", the narrator guy does this when he says "lazy".
- Take That: Several, but the most prominent one is where SatAM's Robotnik, fed up with Sonic X Eggman's Anti-Villain nature, decides to blow up 4Kids Entertainment as a result. However, he then ends up changing the channel to Sonic Underground... and Snively immediately starts setting up the coordinates.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Parodied with Metal Sonic who is unaware that he's a robot.
- Villainous BSOD: Metal Sonic, after realizing he's a robot rather than the actual Sonic.
- Walk, Don't Swim: Often played with, but most notably demonstrated by Sonic at the Olympic Games. In a follow-up short, Eggman can't swim either.
- Why Did It Have To Be Killer Whales?: In the series, Sonic is terrified of whales, presumably after his experiences in Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: In Volume 8, after Robotnik gets the frog he wanted, he vaporizes his Mecha-Mooks and Big the Cat.
- Your Head Asplode: Tails after he powers up a bit too much. Knuckles quickly panics wondering what he should do in rebuttal, Sonic Screams Like a Little Girl (for good reason), and Shadow only comments on how unnerving the whole ordeal is.
BACK TO MAIN MENU
OR CLICK TO PLAY WITH THE TAILS DOLL.