- Alternative Character Interpretation: Loads. Sonic is incompetent, Knuckles is a resentful Attention Whore, Metal Sonic doesn't know that he's a robot, Silver is a wuss, Espio is the Only Sane Man, etc.
- Annoying Video Game Helper: Relentlessly parodied with the Omochao short.
You got: a ring! You got: another ring!
- Crosses the Line Twice: There is no line in this series.
Amy: Hey Sonic guess who lost their virginity? (holds up a bottle of chloroform) You did!
Tails: (pointing to his nose) Aunt Sally, can I have the funny kiss? (she kisses his cheek) No, Aunt Sally, the funny kiss.Sally: Oh... yes, the funny kiss...Tails: There was nothing funny about that at all!
- And that's only the part that made it in. The extended version on Bit-Master's deviantART has Sonic doing it to Tails.
- And in another example:
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Many but the "How To Make A Sonic Fan Character" skit deserves a special mention.
- Designated Hero: Played for Laughs in the Sonic Heroes short in which Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles beat up a hapless Dr. Eggman "Because we're Sonic Heroes"!
- Ear Worm: The Knuckles song: "How dare you try to infiltrate my home In hopes you may steal my precious jewels." Also, "Kill Sonic with a laser and then he'll be dead and I can do my evil stuuuff" set to Final Egg 2 from Sonic Adventure.
- Heartwarming Moment: Oddly, involving the Tails Doll at the end of Volume 3. After Tails beats the possessed doll and throws it to the ground, it starts crying. Marine sees how sad it is and takes it in her arms, and after the credits it is shown happy to finally have a friend. You can even squeeze it with your mouse.
- Needless to say, there were plenty of comments asking why Marine never got killed in a horrible, horrible fashion. (And Marine being a Scrappy is only part of the reason.)
- After several shorts where Sonic and Amy were either interrupted or Sonic lied to Amy that he was gay, he finally kisses Amy as thanks for accidentally saving him in "The Lightning Shield"...right before the Death Egg falls on them.
- And then as of "Vector's Knickers", the two of them had sex. And they're perfectly happy together!
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- The joke about Robotnik's base being in space in the "How to Create Your Own Sonic Fan character" skit now that Sonic Colors is out.
- The skit saying not to upload Sonic Shorts episodes onto Youtube off newgrounds, now that the whole series was officially uploaded by its creators onto youtube.
- Turns out Knuckles Briefs (specifically Tails' brief which was in no way, shape, or form forced upon him) may have given the Sonic Boom writers some ideas.
- One of the shorts in the sixth entry features Sonic, in Hydrocity Zone, hitting a bubble shield and floating up into some spikes. While the bubble shield is unaltered, Sonic Mania features a stage gimmick in that level that resembles the gag from said short, complete with spikes occasionally impeding your progress.
- Marty Stu: Ruthlessly parodied in "How to Create Your Own Sonic Fan character."
- Nightmare Fuel: Any of the shorts starring the Tails Doll. They're usually hidden within a short.
- The ending of Sonic Shorts Volume 3 could possibly be the scariest moment. "Hello. Would you like to play? Come play with me. Play. Play." (doll goes demonic) "PLAAAAY. COME PLAY WITH ME MY CHILD. COME PLAY WITH MEEEEERRAAAAAR!" (doll lunges at screen, screen goes to static). The Tails Doll is arguably less creepy in his demonic form than his normal form.
- Hello, I believe we haven't met yet.◊
- Another one in Sonic Shorts Volume 4. After clicking on Knuckles enough times, a particularly scary short appears featuring Dr. Mario and Sonic: it involves post-operation Sonic in Dr. Mario's office. After comforting Sonic and mutters "You're one of us now", he then offers him a lollipop. The camera angle then reveals the operation was a lobotomy, and as Sonic struggles for the sucker, the respective logos of Sega and Nintendo appear, the latter ending the short. Yikes.
- In Sonic Shorts Volume 5, in one of the transitions between two shorts, you can see a faint image of Tails Doll, covered in blood and bearing sharp teeth. Clicking on this grants you the pleasure of seeing a dark alleyway with a flickering light as Tails Doll flashes in front of the camera. What's worse is that the shot looks like it was filmed from somebody's point of view...
- Not to mention the doll's freaky breathing.
- Sonic Shorts Volume 6 has a Bubbles badnik after the credits. You can click on it to make it scream and release the spikes in its body, but the scary moment is the third time you click it, where it starts spewing blood as its spikes come out, giving a rather terrifying shriek as it fades away.
- Subverted in Sonic Shorts Volume 7. Tails Doll looks like he's chasing Tails, trying to kill him. But, in actuality, Tails Doll was just trying to give Tails his ring back.
- Knuckles Briefs introduced us to the Knuckles Doll, in a similar vein to the Volume 5 example.
- Big killing himself after Froggy leaves him in Volume 3.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: For those who didn't take too kindly to Amy attempting to pummel Sonic into marrying her in Sonic Heroes, it's fairly cathartic to hear her cry, "My God, What Have I Done?" once the deed is done in "Metropolis Mayhem".
- Squick: Sonic and Shadow's reaction to a picture of them together on the internet. Shadow expected to see them duking it out to see who was the ultimate, but...
Sonic: Is that...Shadow: And is that my...Both: WWHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"His eyes have melted!"
- Another somewhat common joke is Eggman trying to be sexy, followed by Sonic reacting by dying, or just wishing he had Brain Bleach on hand.
- In a skit making fun of the infamous kissing scene from Sonic 2006, Sonic notes that he can't tell which is more disgusting/creepier: The fact that Elise kissed an animal, or the fact that she kissed a corpse.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Chris gets in a lot of trouble in the shorts. This has carried over to both Sonic F (which is done with slightly less frequency, but it's still there) and a 2012 April Fools My Little Pony: Camaraderie Is Supernatural episode, which consisted of a toy Pinkie Pie running over the toys of the cast of Friendship is Magic... And a Chris toy along with them.