"On the sixth day the Lord created Herman, and he saw that it was not good. Absolutely bloody awful, in fact."Herman Hedning
("Herman the Heathen") is a long-running Swedish comic book series written and drawn by Jonas Darnell. It chronicles the strange adventures of the eponymous character—a fat, drunken, uncouth caveman of a vile disposition
—and his "friends": the genius inventor Gammelman (literally "Old Man") and the kind-hearted but stupid Lilleman ("Little Man"), Herman's favorite bullying victim.
The trio are all living in "the creation", an alternate world resembling ours, in an undetermined period of time resembling some sort of Prehistory. Sharing this world with them are talking Dinosaurs, Giants, Prehistoric Warrior Cockroaches, various breeds of Space Aliens, Dr. Mengele, Satan, the physical incarnation of the Apocalypse, Hyper-intelligent monkeys, and God.
In short, it's that kind of series.
The first few issues of Herman Hedning
were published in 1988 in the Swedish edition of The Phantom
and proved to be a huge success. In 1998, Herman Hedning got his own anthology magazine
, which has been going strong for 16 years now. A few episodes can be read in English for free on the official Herman Hedning homepage
This comic book series provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Herman, his dinosaur buddy Ragnar, and the Giants.
- Anachronism Stew: The comic's raison d'etre.
- Author Appeal: Jonas Darnell loves drawing elaborate monsters, weapons and vehicles, so he does. Frequently. Sometimes he likes to combine them.
- Aliens Are Bastards
- BFG: A lot of these show up.
- Cephalothorax: Herman, Lilleman, Gammelman and the Monkeys.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: "Nefus Krister" the Messianic son of the creator, born to Monkey parents. The Creator intended to sacrifice him as a lesson in goodness to humanity and was very upset when Nefus actually survived. Has been Put on a Bus as of late.
- Cultural Posturing: The Monkeys are fond of this.
- Cool, but Inefficient: Nearly all weapons shown are this. A battleaxe with a flail attached to it is a classic example, as well as Herman's Sniper Scope Minigun(!)
- Dumb Muscle: The Giants, who were created simply so God (or "the creator", as he is called in Herman Hedning) would have cheap labour to build the world with. Their "salaries" consisted of a "legally guaranteed cheese roll and a pat on the shoulder". After finishing their task, they became unemployed and spent all their time on drinking bad homebrewed beer, fighting and wearing silly T-shirts. With time, a hierarchy rose out of this as the giant with the silliest T-shirt was hailed by the others as king. The current one is this guy.◊
- Death Is Cheap: Darnell has said that creating The Holy Laptop was the greatest thing that ever happened to the Comic since now he can basically obliterate the entire universe and kill of every character if he wants to without any consequences whatsoever. It remains to be seen how this will effect any attempts to end the comic. Luckily Darnell has promised to keep drawing it "until he explodes".
- Deathbringer the Adorable: The "Fhrenno-Hooligans" who are pink fluffy space aliens, widely feared for their power of... kitschy cosmic interior decoration! Oh, and they travel around the universe in a huge battleship in the shape of a skull with crossbones holding a battleaxe.
- Deus ex Machina: "The Holy Laptop"
- The Devil Is a Loser: "Lucifer Satansson" started out as a moderately dignified villian. Now he is prehaps the biggest most pathetic Butt Monkey loser of the whole cast and thats saying something since everyone is a Butt Monkey to some degree in Herman Hedning. Low points include stealing Gammelmans ultra-magnetic ring just to be a Jerk Ass wich not only ended with him being bombarded by cutlery and steel junk but losing his ringfinger to chemical corrosion too. Another time Herman called health inspection on him after he had found out that the only reason the Devil could tolerate living in hell was because of his suit wich was insulated with pure Asbestos. He did give him another one though - and noted that the Devil probably wont be quite as happy when he finds out that it's made of cotton.
- Extreme Omnivore: Herman can and will eat anything if given the chance.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Eye-Obscuring Hat: Herman all the time.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Loads and loads of Monsters of different persuasions make an appearance.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: All the damn time.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Ditto.
- From Beyond The Fourth Wall: Happens frequently. In the episode "Matrizk" the boys manages to enter "the real world" by gradually phasing out everything that makes them Comic Book characters: colours, lines and speechbubbles until all that is left is pure blackness. Upon entering the real world Lilleman is run over and killed by angry Street Samurai who proceed to chase Herman and Gammelman until they happen upon Jonas Darnell who explains to them that even this is a fictious dreamworld and that they can never be anything but Comic Book Characters. He proceeds to revive Lilleman from a Pizzabox and then sends them back to their own world with no memories of the incident - except that now Herman has a craving for Pizza whenever he looks at Lilleman!
- Fun with Acronyms: The Magazine includes a section called the "homepages" where Darnell writes articles about various things in a not especially serious way. One such article concerned how "the latest research" had proven that the Vikings were the ones to invent Cell Phone technology and that T.E.L.E.N.O.R was an acronym that stod for "Death to Snorri Sturluson the lying bastard". Darnell added that "the Vikings weren't especially talented linguists but they compensated for that by being pretty damn aggressive."
- Go Into the Light: One time Herman decided that he wanted to "try" dying, since had heard that dead people got to go into a tunnel where they were greeted by a warm embrace and a shining light. The Creator said that Herman had heard correctly, but the warm embrace at the end of the tunnel was not light. Cue, Herman being brought out into space and dropped into an enormous Toilet.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: After Lilleman is run over by a group of Street Samurai, Herman screams "That's my job! I'll kill you" and charges them.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: Herman cannot visit a charity fundraiser for endagered species because he has to "go and take a shit or something!"
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: When Herman ends up on the Ship of an Alien Invasion force he finds out that the Aliens are all actually big softies who are living in fear of their leader "Lord Coctmebreau" (a talking hotdog) who is forcing them to be vegetarians. Herman being Herman, naturally eats Lord Coctmebreau, declares himself the new leader and tells the Aliens that he has liberated them and that from now on they will only eat meat. Cue, the Aliens looking thru the space ship window towards Earth and saying that yes, from now on they will only eat meat! Herman thus asks himself why, in spite of just having liberated thousands of oppressed souls, he feels like he has done something phenomenally stupid?
- The Maker: The Creator.
- Playing Both Sides: Herman manages to start a Civil War among the Giants, by making and selling pirated copies of the reigning kings T-Shirt. He later brokers peace, however by helping the Giants introduce a new system of Government: He with the stupidest Baseball Cap will be King!
- The Pig Pen: Herman claims that Soap will "dissolve him". He has been seen bathing once though... in a bathtub full of meat.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The Prehistoric Cockroaches and the Gorillas.
- Proud Scholar Race Guy: The Monkeys.
- Reference Overdosed
- Refuge in Audacity: This comic relishes so much in it's own insanity and vulgarity that it still get's away with everything it does.
- Rule of Cool
- Rule of Funny
- Sadist Show
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Pretty Cynical. Herman is a fat, stupid and violent Jerkass. Gammelman might be a genius, but he has a massive ego. Finally there's Lilleman, a naive Woobie who can be just as much of a Jerkass as Herman. The trio is pretty much incapable of ushering in any relevant change and development in the creation that doesn't backfire horribly, and it's up to the creator to reboot the world from scratch. As for the creator himself, if you cant say anything nice...
- Tin Tyrant: The Apocalypse.
- Too Dumb to Fool: One time Herman was Shipwrecked on the Bengali coast (sound familiar?) where he was discovered by monkeys and taken to the "Cave of the Morons". The cave had the peculiar habit of crushing anyone whose IQ exceeded 30 to death. Herman passed it with flying colours.
Monkey no 1: "But that means he's.. he's..."
Monkey no 2: "A complete and utter retard? Yes, he's the man we've been looking for!"
- Toilet Humor: There was that time when Herman managed to turn the entire world into feces... or when the creator drowned hell in boiling snot. Or when a drunken Herman's vomit came to life and went on a rampage. Suffice to say, the comic is full of this, sometimes crossing into pure Nausea Fuel.
- Trademark Favorite Food: As noted earlier, he is not very picky, but if he had to choose Herman prefers pure Lard.
- You Won't Feel a Thing: When Herman is being lobotomized by an Alien Killer Droid:
"Stand still now and you wont feel a thing. Well then again, if you have a working nervous system it's gonna hurt like a son of a bitch!"
- World of Snark
"TV Tropes sucks a swollen leek!"