It Kicks!World Cup Soccer
is a pinball
game by Williams Electronics
(under the Bally label), designed by John Popadiuk
and released to promote the 1994 World Cup
As far as pinball goes, the table pretty accurately emulates the World Cup experience - you buy tickets, fill the stadiums with fans, and most importantly shoot goals. In addition, you move through the various cities the Real Life
teams went to, and eventually take on the top contender (Germany) to become champion.
This pinball game demonstrates the following tropes:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: The aspects of a World Cup champion (see Gotta Catch Them All below).
- The Beautiful Game
- The Cameo: Raiden cameos during a mode.
- The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: If you beat the #1 seed Germany in multiball and then get into multiball again, you will play against Germany, and they will be listed as the #2 seed. This is because you are now the #1 seed.
- Funny Animal: Striker.
- Gotta Catch Them All: To light the lock, you need to collect the five aspects of a good soccer player: Stamina, Speed, Spirit, Skill, and Strength.
- Heads or Tails: Every new ball starts with a "coin toss" Skill Shot to determine a bonus.
- Large Ham Announcer: GOAAAAAAAAL!
- Licensed Pinball Tables
- Mascot: Striker.
- Match Sequence: Striker lights a rocket, which spirals off and explodes to reveal the final number.
- New Game+: If you manage to finish the Wizard Mode and start it again in the same game, Germany becomes much harder to beat.
- Road Trip Plot: The progression to the World Cup works like one.
- Shout-Out: The final TV Award shows, among others, the "Stay cool, daddy-o" guy from Creature from the Black Lagoon, Admiral Biagi from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Rudy from FunHouse.
- Skill Shot: There are three dividers which each have a light near the top of the playfield. When you start, they are all flashing. Falling in one of the flashing ones the first time scores 5 million points, at which point only two remain. Hitting another flashing one scores 10 million, and the last one spots a city for 30 million. Shooting an already lit light scores 1 million.
- Spelling Bonus: S-T-R-I-K-E-R awards 10 million points and lights the Striker scoop, allowing a random award to be collected.
- Timed Mission: All of the TV Modes.
- Tropey Come Home: "Where's Striker?"
- Wheel o' Feet: Shown by Striker in one animation.
- Wizard Mode: Get to the final location on your tour, that being Los Angeles, to begin playing off against Germany in the World Cup Finals to become champion.