Pinball: World Cup Soccer
Get ready. This summer, the World Cup is taking over the U.S. And WORLD CUP SOCCER pinball is ready to take on the world!World Cup Soccer is a pinball game by Williams Electronics (under the Bally label), designed by John Popadiuk and released to promote the 1994 World Cup.As far as pinball goes, the table pretty accurately emulates the World Cup experience - you buy tickets, fill the stadiums with fans, and most importantly shoot goals. In addition, you move through the various cities the Real Life teams went to, and eventually take on the top contender (Germany) to become champion.
This pinball game demonstrates the following tropes:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: The aspects of a World Cup champion (see Gotta Catch Them All below).
- The Beautiful Game
- The Cameo: Raiden cameos during a mode.
- Developers' Foresight: If you beat the #1 seed Germany in multiball and then get into multiball again, you will play against Germany, and they will be listed as the #2 seed. This is because you are now the #1 seed.
- Funny Animal: Striker.
- Gotta Catch Them All: To light the lock, you need to collect the five aspects of a good soccer player: Stamina, Speed, Spirit, Skill, and Strength.
- Heads or Tails: Every new ball starts with a "coin toss" Skill Shot to determine a bonus.
- Large Ham Announcer: GOAAAAAAAAL!
- Licensed Pinball Tables
- Mascot: Striker.
- Match Sequence: Striker lights a rocket, which spirals off and explodes to reveal the final number.
- New Game+: If you manage to finish the Wizard Mode and start it again in the same game, Germany becomes much harder to beat.
- Road Trip Plot: The progression to the World Cup works like one.
- Shout-Out: The final TV Award shows, among others, the "Stay cool, daddy-o" guy from Creature from the Black Lagoon, Admiral Biagi from Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Rudy from Fun House.
- The final TV Award is basically a single-ball version of the multiball from Creature from the Black Lagoon.
- Skill Shot: There are three dividers which each have a light near the top of the playfield. When you start, they are all flashing. Falling in one of the flashing ones the first time scores 5 million points, at which point only two remain. Hitting another flashing one scores 10 million, and the last one spots a city for 30 million. Shooting an already lit light scores 1 million.
- Spelling Bonus: S-T-R-I-K-E-R awards 10 million points and lights the Striker scoop, allowing a random award to be collected.
- The first TV award, Big Goal Round has the players shooting three goals for B-I-G. The B and I award 15 million, and the G awards 30 million.
- The cities other than Los Angeles, the location of the finals, are each labeled with a letter from W-O-R-L-D-C-U-P.
- Timed Mission: All of the TV Modes.
- Tropey Come Home: "Where's Striker?"
- Wheel o' Feet: Shown by Striker in one animation.
- Wizard Mode: Get to the final location on your tour, that being Los Angeles, to begin playing off against Germany in the World Cup Finals to become champion.