Music: Huey Lewis and the News
"Their early work was a little too New Wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically."Huey Lewis and the News is a band from The '80s fronted by Huey Lewis. Back in the 1980s, they had many hits and were reasonably adept with making music videos. Now, they are often forgotten even by shows waxing nostalgic over The '80s, but remain a popular live act.Some of their work remains in the popular consciousness, though it isn't always consciously attributed to them. They recorded "Hip to Be Square," which made the soundtrack of American Psycho the movie and was rather frantically analyzed by Patrick Bateman in that film. They also did "The Power of Love" and "Back in Time," both from Back to the Future.Not to be confused with Hewys Animated Movie Reviews.
—Patrick Bateman, American Psycho
- Affectionate Parody: Of Frankenstein, in their video for "Doing It All for My Baby".
- Badass Baritone: Huey, but he can hit high notes, too.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase: Their name follows that pattern.
- Cover Version: "It's Alright" by Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions.
- The '80s: They were very part of that zeitgeist.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: One closes "The Heart of Rock & Roll".
- Heavy Meta: "The Heart of Rock & Roll"
- Love Is A Drug: "I Want a New Drug" implies that no drug compares to the feeling of being 'alone with you'.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Hip To Be Square" is an upbeat song about giving up the rebellious attitude of youth, becoming a boring middle-aged man and liking it.
- Morton's Fork: In "Workin' for a Livin'":Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
- The Power of Love: Possibly the trope-namer, as the title of one of their most famous songs. Probably the trope-codifier.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: "Walking on a Thin Line"
- Signature Style: They're essentially a big band playing as a rock band.
Alternative Title(s):Huey Lewis And The News
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Administrivia/Needs a Better Description Hunchback: The Lurching