I chew my nails and I twiddle my thumbs
I'm real nervous, but it sure is fun!
C'mon baby, you drive me crazyElvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash, fellow Sun Records artists. Known primarily for hits such as "Great Balls of Fire", "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On", his Signature Style of piano-playing (flamboyant, with a lot of glissando, getting up on the piano, etc.), and the scandal that almost completely derailed his career. Later on, he reinvented himself as a fairly successful mainstream Country Music artist.He has had his own Biopic and appeared in others.Has no relation to the comedian Jerry Lewis.
Whole Lotta Tropin' Going On:
- Catch Phrase:
- "Think about it, darlin'"
- "When you're good, you're good!" (in conversation, not in song)
- Genre Shift: He had a fairly successful Country Music career in the 1960s through 1980s, although even "Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On" and "Great Balls Of Fire" from his boogie-woogie days were #1 country hits.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In his 1980 song "Rockin' My Life Away", which was actually a fairly prominent country hit, he somehow manages to slip in "mother-humpin'" in the middle of one of the last verses.
- "I Am" Song: Quite a few, beginning in the fifties with "Lewis Boogie". Also, "Rockin' My Life Away", "Boogie Woogie Country Man", "Honky Tonk Rock 'N' Roll Piano Man".
- Kill It with Fire: Set his piano on fire on Television.
- Large Ham: Oh God yes....
- Lyrical Tic: He would often substitute the word "me" in lyrics with "Jerry Lee", i.e. "If you see Corrina, send her on home to Jerry Lee..."
- Ode to Intoxication: "Drinkin' Wine Spo-dee O-dee"
- Red Baron: "The Killer Himself"
- Rockabilly and Rock & Roll: He is seen as one of the pioneers of the genre and one of the essentials who popularized it.
- Small Reference Pools: Many people know him only for "Great Balls Of Fire".
- Super Group: The Million Dollar Freaking Quartet!, plus he made two albums with fellow Sun Records alumni: Survivors, with Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, and Class of 55, with Cash, Perkins and Roy Orbison.