Then, this line from a game said that a flat chest is a status symbol! A rarity! And when you think about it, there's a demand right? So, word for word, I'm
A girl who sees her lack of assets as a plus. Flat chests are usually associated with the young, and a girl with Petite Pride will play this up as much as she can, usually to make herself seem cute and innocent
Contrast A-Cup Angst
and Big Breast Pride
and compare D-Cup Distress
. Anime fanspeak calls this sort of character Pettanko
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- There's a T-shirt that reads: "itty bitty titty committee".
- The perfect rationale for why many women prefer to have smaller boobs came in Some Like It Hot. Sugar remarked that she admired "Daphne"'s flat-chested appearance: "Clothes hang better on you."
- Lampshaded in the movie Thoroughly Modern Millie, where flapper Millie (played by Julie Andrews) complained that her "fronts" made it difficult to wear her beads properly. She tries to flatten her chest but she's just too well-endowed.
- In Weird Science, the two protagonists consider designing the program to make the girl's breasts huge; but then Gary says, "Hold it, Wyatt, I know female stats. Anything bigger than a handful and you're looking at a sprained tongue." So they reduce them to average size. (Zigzagged in a way because while Lisa'a bust doesn't turn out to be huge, she isn't exactly petite either.)
- In Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire, Verity Price expresses relief that the (very literal) boob fairy has been sparing with her gifts to women of her family. Some gunplay by her grandmother, Alice Healy-Price, several decades ago may have had something to do with it.
- Mary Russell, the title character of the Mary Russell series. She is not saddened by her boyish figure, and even said that her shape was popular in the current '20s.
- Cathy Ryan, Jack Ryan's wife from Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series, sometimes comments on her lack of a bustline.
- Although the exact size is never mentioned, Princess Rennsellaer in A Brother's Price is said to be less "full in the chest" than her sister Odelia, which doesn't bother her at all. It is hard to tell whether she considers it a plus, or never thinks about it at all.
Live Action TV
Music & Music Video
- Shakira pokes fun at this:
- In the video of "Objection", she plays a girl who is cheated on by her boyfriend. When she confronts the "other woman", she pokes her Gag Boobs and they deflate.
Next to her cheap silicon I look minimal / That's why in front of your eyes I'm invisible / But you gotta know small things also count.
- P!nk in "Stupid Girls":
Baby if I act like that / flipping my blond hair back / Push up my bra like that / I don't wanna be a stupid girl
- Patty Loveless (a 30B) often shows her cleavage in her music videos and on her album covers. She also wears a see through blouse in the video for "That's the Kind of Mood I'm In".
- Chilli of TLC has gone on record of saying she used to feel self-conscious about the size of her breasts, and it took a while to make peace with it. This was addressed in the video for "Unpretty". She plays a women whose boyfriends suggests implants. However, when she goes in to have the surgery, she sees a (disturbingly young) girl rather graphically having her implants removed, she runs out of the room. She's also jokingly said that TLC stood for "Titty-Less Crew".
Stand Up Comedy
- Maria Bamford occasionally draws attention to her (lack of) assets in the chesty department. For example, she notes with more than a little sarcasm that men can't get enough of "these 32 AA's", describes them as "perfect, rare, delicate miniatures". More generally, as part of a larger bit on body issues she noted that she somehow managed to master being thin, but then they start laying the expectations.
"Skinny is in, I've got that covered. But now you have to have muscle tone too! I'm already hungry and tired; now I gotta go work out?!"
- Marcel Lucont wrote a comedic poem about how small breasts are so much better than larger breasts, and that women should be proud of them.
- Ana Radic, a Serbian comedian, is greatly overjoyed that men pester her more well endowed sister and has described her modestly endowed chest as a gift that allows people to focus on what she's saying. Considering most of her humor comes from being The Girl Next Door and a Shrinking Violet, she has a very strong male fanbase in her home country despite not being as chesty as the Serbian media says a woman should be, and she is thrilled about it.
"It turns out, in comedy, being funny is important! Who knew? The world is crazy like that."
- Rita in Tales of Vesperia comments that she's glad she has a flat chest, because boobs the size of Judith's would bounce around too much and make it difficult for her to concentrate.
- Suika Ibuki from Touhou is often portrayed as having this in Fanon. In fact, there's an entire song titled Tsurupettan, complete with a video (warning: very addictive!), which is essentially a high-spirited hymn to pettankos all around the world. In case you are interested in the origins of the song and video, refer to this post.
- Archers in the Disgaea series are proud of their (lack of) assets, in stark contrast to most other Pettanko characters. Probably because boobs get in the way of shooting properly.
- In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten's DLC Nether Battle tournament, there's a scene where flat characters talk about the difficulties that come with being buxom, and how lucky are they don't have to worry about that. Then it's revealed they've been attacking every buxom character they come across.
- In the "Beefsquatch" episode of Bob's Burgers, Linda goes on Hey Good Cookin', pulls up her shirt and reveals her 36A breasts on live television.