is a webcomic about an online RPG
that may be more than a game.
Magience provides examples of:
- Accidental Kiss: Rune accidentally kisses Tilly, and considers it to imply a relationship.
Rune: Oh no. I have to take responsibility. I will marry you to make up for it! My name is Rune Winterspell, I will make you happy I promise!
- After-Action Healing Drama: The other characters desperately try to save the mortally poisoned Tilly.
- All There in the Manual: The setting is thoroughly documented in the wiki and the Magience Omnia.
- Blackmail: Eoghan gives Rune a letter to blackmail Jae with.
- Blinding Bangs: Berc's eyes are usually not visible.
- Bond Creatures: Mute bonds with Rune to share power and telepathy.
- Brain/Computer Interface: Magience uses a “neuron entrainment” headset.
- Cat Person: Kassilik have cat ears, tails, and insatiable curiosity.
- Character Customization: Character creation has so many options that there's an AI that helps the player through it.
- Check Point: The players are careful to touch a “Spawn Point” before entering Sir Erran's.
Sev: Cuz if you die in its “Zone”, you'll just pop up up at the Spawn. Also, if ya revive at a Spawn Point, ya only lose 'alf a level when ya die. Ya corpse vanishes roight away too, so it also stops people from stealin' ya stuff.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Berc has a constant toothy smile.
Do you have to work at being creepy or is it natural? Berc:
I take lessons on the weekend. Cas:
Lessons? From... from whom? Berc: Hannibal Lecter
- Color-Coded Characters: Rune has a pink gem, pink markings, pink clothes, pink ribbons, and pink Aurafire.
Rune: Why is it always PINK?
- Coordinated Clothes: Rune and Mute have identical backup outfits.
- Clothing Damage: An exploding slime destroys the party's clothes. Tilly was prepared for this.
- The Cracker: False Eden is a guild that is trying to hack Magience.
- Crash into Hello: Rune meets Tilly by falling onto her.
- Damsel out of Distress: Rune is kidnapped by the Plague Hunters, and immediately escapes.
- Day Inside, Hour Outside: Time in the game runs twenty-four times faster than in reality.
- The Determinator: Captain Apollo is very persistent in his efforts to rescue Princess Rune, even if he's mistaken about why she's left.
Apollo: I'll bring our gentle princess back to herself, or die trying!
- Diary: Most of chapter 10 is narrated by Rune's journal.
- Dragon Rider: Rune rides Mute when they escape from the Plague Hunters.
- The Dragon Slayer: Raven slew a rogue dragon.
- Drop the Hammer: Dagger's weapon of choice is an enormous hammer.
- Dude In Distress: Jae is captured and beaten by his former allies.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Jae is often mistaken for a woman.
- Dye or Die: Rune uses a potion to turn her hair white to hide from her family.
- Electronic Eye: Berc has a prosthetic eye. He sometimes removes it and plays with it.
- Elemental Powers: Magience's magic system is element-based. Each character has one element.
- Empty Nest: Three of Ariana's children have left home. She doesn't want to lose any more.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Jae doesn't understand why Rune and Shiloh didn't make him agree to help them before rescuing him.
- Expressive Ears: Fae and Basir have long ears which indicate their emotions.
- Eye Colour Change: When Fae cast powerful magic, their eyes lose their sclera and become a solid color.
- Facial Markings: Yokai have markings on their faces and bodies.
- Fragile Speedster: Rune and Shiloh can't take hits, but they can dodge.
Dagger: Ugh, you Agility types are so annoying!
Dagger: STOP DODGING!
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Crystal spends a lot of time with Andrew even though he's consistently cruel to her, because they used to date and she still had complicated feelings for him, admitting she hated him for hurting her but didn't want to let him go.
- Funetik Aksent: Sev 'as a Strine accent or somethin' loik that.
- Fusion Dance: Several slimes merge into a giant Slime Golem.
- Future Food Is Artificial:
Rune: The kind of food I can afford in real life is all synthetic. It's “nutritionally optimized” and rarely has any actual ingredients that weren't made in a lab. “Real” food is too expensive.
- Girly Bruiser: Dagger fights in a frilly dress.
- Healing Magic Is the Hardest:
Eoghan: Healing magic is extremely limited. It works on the caster's medical knowledge in addition to their actual magical ability. Even then, only minor wounds can be healed instantly. For everything else, it takes time.
- Healing Potion: Tilly buys a lot of healing potions to make up for lack of a healer.
- Hidden Eyes: Routinely used for surprised characters.
- I Have the High Ground: Rune explores her unaccustomed agility by perching in trees.
Tilly: Why the fuck do you keep chillin' in trees...
- I Kiss Your Foot: Ariana is delighted to see her daughter awake, even if she's holding her off with a foot to the face.
Rune: Who's the spaz getting intimate with my foot?
Ariana: My baaaaabyyyy~
- Important Haircut: Rune cuts off her hair and burns it after Andrew dies.
- Jerk Ass: Andrew/Raven is cruel to everyone, even Crystal who he claims is his best friend.
- Killed Off for Real: Andrew dies in real life.
- Kill It with Fire: Rune's usual modus operandi.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Tilly initially thinks Rune is male.
Tilly: She's my husband. Apparently.
- Layered Metropolis: Romerus City is built on a layer of plates, with skyscrapers on top and an Under City below.
- Level Grinding: Tilly helps Raven level up so they can rescue Rune.
- Level Scaling: Monsters in Sir Erran's scale based on the average level of the party.
- Live Item: Shiloh's scarf is alive.
Rune: It's the pissiest fashion accessory I have ever met.
- Magical Flutist: Tilly plays Magic Music on her ocarina.
- Magic Kiss: Ariana wants to try this to revive her comatose daughter.
Ariana: We don't need the “hero's kiss” to try and wake her anymore...
- Magic Staff: Jae has one.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Dragons (and Dragoons) have a “Dragon's Roar” sonic attack.
- Malevolent Masked Men: The Plague Hunters wear black cloaks and beaked rainbow masks.
- Marked Change: Inverted: Rune loses her markings when she becomes a Dragoon.
- Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game: Most of the story happens in the Magience game.
- Massive Race Selection:
Cas: There are 7 races for you to choose from. Each of these can procreate with any other to create a hybrid, for a total of 28 options.
- And then there are subraces...
- Mismatched Eyes: Many characters have mismatched eyes, including Rune, and Sev.
- The Most Dangerous Video Game: Players suffer their characters' pain, and sometimes other effects.
- New First Comics: The first few chapters have been redrawn.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Rune's pretty silly sometimes and seems to play dumb, but a few moments here and there hint that it's all just one big act.
- Ominous Fog: The area around Sir Erran's is permanently foggy.
- Online Alias: Most of the action takes place in-game, so the characters are usually called by their handles.
- Party Scattering:
Sev: Erran's place
uses magic ta split up groups biggah than two.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Jae's former comrades plan to beat him up and worse because they did something stupid and blame Jae for it since he was their group's healer.
- Petite Pride: Crystal doesn't like having large breasts, so she deliberately gives Rune a flat chest.
Hydra: Flat as a washboard. You're practically concave!
Rune: Yes ma'am!
- Plague Doctor: The Plague Hunters are a guild who dress as plague doctors, with black cloaks and rainbow-colored beak masks.
- Playing with Fire: Rune's first spell is Fireball. Her second is the more malleable Aurafire. She tends to play with both before throwing them.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: When Rune is forced to wear a dress, it's pink. In fact, pink seems to follow her around, in both her clothes and her magic!
- Rebellious Princess: Crystal is not pleased to be playing a princess, so she escapes.
- Rescue Introduction: The protagonists meet (and recruit) Jae by rescuing him from a beating.
- Sacred First Kiss: Rune's Accidental Kiss with Tilly is her first.
Rune: My virgin lips!
- Sadist: Jae enjoys other people's pain.
Jae: Memories of your screams will be my lullaby for the next decade, at least.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Jae uses big words to make other people feel inferior.
- She Is the King: Ariana Winterspell, King of the Fae, is female. This is not unusual for Fae.
- Shout-Out: How To Train Your Dragoon, Sleeping Beauty.
- Sitting on the Roof: Rune and Mute have a privatenote conversation on a roof at night.
- Skill Scores and Perks: The game has an elaborate system of abilities and traits.
- Theme Naming: Ariana has five children: Ren, Rin, Roan, Rune and Rayne.
- Third Eye: Fae have Aura Gems in their foreheads.
- Villain Teleportation: The Plague Hunters teleport home when they kidnap Rune, but the main characters have to walk everywhere (or ride Mute).
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Mute can take a humanoid form.
- Wanted Poster: The Winterspells put up wanted posters for Raven and (with a “DO NOT HARM” line) Rune.
- Wolverine Claws: Visitor fights with long, thin claws.