open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In the anime Romeo X Juliet, this is how Juliet meets both Romeo and Tybalt.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Misato rescues Shinji from getting squashed by the First Angel/blown up by JSDF the very first time he sees her.
- Nanoha rescuing Subaru in the first episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Interestingly, the series ends with Subaru rescuing Nanoha, in turn.
- Barnaby from Tiger & Bunny is introduced partway through the first episode when he swoops in and rescues protagonist Kotetsu by snatching him out of a fall, bridal-style. This is played for laughs in that episode itself, soon becomes a Running Gag, and is even used as a Book End.
- Spider-Man's parents were spies working for S.H.I.E.L.D.. In the special -1 issue of Untold Tales of Spider-Man, the audience is treated to a case in which they have to save a fellow agent. When they rescue that agent, it's revealed to be Wolverine whom they were meeting for the first time.
- In The Blue Lotus, Tintin meets Chang Chon-Chen by rescuing him from drowning in a flood.
- In Runaways, Karolina first encounters Klara while rescuing her from a factory fire.
- The heroes of All This Sh*t is Twice as Weird are first introduced aboard the ship carrying them to the Divine's Conclave. Victoria happens upon a group of sailors threatening to throw the stowaway elf Mahanon overboard, and she lies and claims he's part of her own retinue. From there they grow to be close friends, even before becoming the Heralds of Andraste.
Film - Animated
- Seen often in the Disney Animated Canon:
- Hercules: Hercules meets Megara when rescuing her from a monstrous centaur.
- Aladdin: Aladdin meets Princess Jasmine when rescuing her from a street vendor from whom she accidentally stole an apple and her arm is nearly slashed off.
- The Little Mermaid: Ariel meets Eric after he is accidentally separated from his ship during a hurricane, and brings him to shore to prevent him from drowning.
- The Hunchbackof Notre Dame: Phoebus first meets Esmeralda after he saves her from being arrested by his own teammates.
- Taran and Eilonwy first meet Fflewddur Fflam in The Black Cauldron when they get him out of the Horned King's dungeon.
- In Shrek, Shrek and Donkey meet Princess Fiona when they rescue her from her tower.
Film - Live Action
- Star Wars: A New Hope has one of the most iconic examples of this when Luke rescues Leia.
- Finn and Poe meet in Star Wars: The Force Awakens when Finn helps Poe escape the New Order's prison cells.
- Kick-Ass: Kickass is about to get carved up by Razul's gang when Hit-Girl gets her Establishing Character Moment by massacring them all. This is also the first time we see her in the Hit-Girl persona.
- Pale Rider: The Preacher and Hull first meet when the Preacher rescues him from a bunch of thugs.
- This is how the eponymous protagonist of Hancock meets Ray, who then becomes his PR man.
- This is how Number Six introduces herself in I Am Number Four.
- The Terminator has Kyle introduce himself to Sarah J. Connor by extricating her from Tech Noir just as the T-800 closes in for the kill. This is a theme that's carried on in the other films/TV series, accompanied by the Catch-Phrase, "Come with me if you want to live."
- In Labyrinth, Sarah comes across her second traveling companion, Gentle Giant Ludo, as he's being tortured by goblins. She tosses rocks at their helmets, which sends them off in confusion. As she approaches him to free him from the ropes that they strung him up with, he roars at her and she chides him for acting that way towards someone trying to help him.
- Vorkosigan Saga: How Miles meets Taura in "Labyrinth". However, he's also on a mission to kill her. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Murtagh rescuing Eragon in Inheritance Cycle.
- In Much Fall of Blood Erik and Bortai first met when she was escaping from Gatu's forces, and he offers her shelter, with unintended consequences.
- How Merlin Athrawes introduced himself to then Crown Prince Cayleb in Off Armageddon Reef.
- Dream Park. The players first meet Alex Griffin's character when they find him sinking in quicksand. One of them teases Griffin by making him prove that he's worthy to join the party before they rescue him.
- Neverwhere: How Richard meets Door when he takes her home after finding her lying and bleeding on a cold London Above street.
- in The Warded Man, Leesha and Rojer meet the titular Warded Man when he saves them from being killed by demons and gets them to safety.
- Taran and Eilonwy meet in the first book of the Chronicles of Prydain when he's imprisoned in Spiral Castle. All she really wants is for him to throw her bauble back to her, as she's accidentally dropped it into his cell; when he explains that his hands are bound, she instead breaks into the cell and unties him. He then asks her to also rescue the prisoner in the other cell, whom he believes is his companion Gwydion, but is actually the wandering bard Fflewddur Fflamm. Eilonwy then helps both of them escape, and ends up joining the quest.
Live Action TV
- Several times throughout Doctor Who, but explicitly in the episode "Rose", where Rose's first meeting with the Doctor is him grabbing her hand and yelling "Run!"
- How Dov meets his girlfriend in season 2 of Rookie Blue. She's a bomb disposal expert called in to help him after he steps on bomb-trigger trap, and rescues him from said trap.
- In Suits, Harvey and Mike meet this way when Harvey and Donna conspire to rescue Mike from the police chasing him in the pilot.
- Lost Girl: How Bo meets Kenzi. And how Bo meets Dyson's New Old Flame Kiara. And how Dyson re-connects with her after several centuries of separation.
- Although we never see it (and Dean doesn't seem to remember it), Dean and Castiel from Supernatural first meet when Castiel rescues Dean from Hell.
- A standard trick by private investigators or spies to gain someone's trust is to stage a fake bar fight or street mugging, with the investigator as the Good Samaritan coming in to "save" him or her.
- BioWare likes this trope for party members:
- Mass Effect: Ashley, Liara and Tali from the first game. The second game has Archangel and Legion, while Jack and Grunt qualify to a lesser extent. The third game has Javik in the From Ashes DLC, while Vega takes part in the Normandy's Gunship Rescue to evacuate Shepard during the prologue. Subverted with Wilson from the second game and Maya Brooks from the third game's Citadel DLC respectively, who are both revealed to actually be The Mole and responsible for the attack they were rescued from.
- Dragon Age: Origins: The Player Character and Alistair meet Flemeth very briefly, but later have a more extensive one of these. The Warden later rescues Sten, Shale, and Wynne, leading to their Recruitment by Rescue. Unless the Warden is the Human Noble, they also meet Dog when they save him from the Blight sickness, and he later finds them and becomes their pet.
- In Dragon Age II, Hawke and family meet Aveline by saving her and her husband from darkspawn. Flemeth again introduces herself after rescuing Hawke and company from darkspawn. Varric introduces himself after taking down the pickpocket who'd just robbed Hawke, returning his/her money before casually offering them a place in the Deep Roads Expedition.
- In Dragon Age: Inquisition, this is revealed to be how the Iron Bull met his right-hand man, Krem; Bull defended Krem, whom he didn't even know, in a bar fight. The incident cost Bull one of his eyes. Right after it was over, he introduced himself and invited Krem to join his mercenary company. Naturally, Krem has Undying Loyalty to "the big idiot."
- Baldurs Gate 2: Branwen, Dynaheir, Viconia, Yeslick and Xan in the first game; Aerie, Cernd, Haer'Dalis, Viconia (again!), Mazzy and arguably Minsc and Jaheira in the sequel.
- Knights of the Old Republic has you rescuing Bastila (or as she'll insist, her rescuing you...)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Raiden meets the President of the United States and Emma Emmerich while trying to rescue them from the terrorists that have taken over the Big Shell.
- In the first Metal Gear Solid Snake meets Otacon by rescuing him from the Cyborg Ninja.
- The videogame adaptation of The Godfather has you meet Frankie when she's taken hostage by Vito's would-be assassins. The same event also leads you to become personally acquainted with Vito.
- In Half-Life 2 you meet Alyx Vance after she rescues you.
- In Final Fantasy VI, Celes is introduced just as Locke rescues her from the jail-cell.
- In Mitsumete Knight, this is how the main protagonist meets Sophia (punks harassing her), as well as one of the two ways to meet Laury (dangerous dog about to attack her). Depending on if one of them is the girl you target the ending of on your playthrough or not, it can evolve into Rescue Romance.
- In Pop'n Twinbee, Light and Pastel first meet Madoka when she begs them to rescue her grandfather Mardock, a benevolent scientist whose personality changed into a deranged megalomaniac world-conqueror after he hit his head on a pole. They ultimately manage to turn him back to normal, making the three youngsters the best of friends ever since, and Mardock one of Light and Pastel's most trusted allies.
- In the sixth installment of the Dark Parables, the Fairytale Detective meets Jack when he saves her from being killed by Prince Leonard.
- Medal of Honor: Vanguard: The first time the player sees the Bazooka Operator, he is trapped in a tree by his parachute, the player then gets to cut him down from the tree.
- In Drowtales, while looking for Faen, Ariel discovers Freyja and Myou in a dungeon. (seen here. (Spoiler Alert!))
- Tower of God - Yuri's introduction to Baam. As he is up and about to storm to his certain death, she jumps in and convinces the test master to change the rules so much that the kid actually has a chance.
- In the webcomic Wingless: The Dovecote Princess, Alif is introduced by beating up bandits that were harrassing Ephelia... which quickly turns into her complaining about the rescue once Alif asks for a service fee.