open/close all folders
Anime and Manga:
- In a Maison Ikkoku comic book, Kyoko is trying to fix the porch globe light when Yusaku arrives, startling her. Kyoko falls off the ladder and not only do they end up hugging as he catches her, but their lips touch as well. Since no one else saw it happen, and they're both supposed to be dating other people, they decide to pretend all that happened was that Kyoko slipped and dropped the globe.
- In Pandora Hearts Gil frequently does this to Oz.
- Tactics: Haruka once does this to Kantarou.
- In Fruits Basket, Tohru trips and falls down a slope, prompting both Yuki and Kyo to try to rescue her, accidentally hug her, and turn into animals.
- Happens in Pokémon between Brock and a Girl of the Week, leading to a Rescue Romance that's one-sided on her part.
- The Empire Strikes Back. While the Millenium Falcon is inside the asteroid, there's a sudden tremor. Princess Leia falls backward and Han Solo catches her. He doesn't let go immediately, and continues to hold her even after she gets uncomfortable and asks him to let go. They then have a bit of banter that's intended to foreshadow their growing attraction to each other.
- In Aladdin, when the titular character leads Jasmine to his hideaway, the girl trips and falls into Aladdin's arms. Needless to say, they don't break the embrace right away.
Live Action TV
- Used more than once as an explanation by Rene in 'Allo 'Allo! to his wife as to why she had just caught him and one of his mistresses wrapped around each other.
"You stew-pid woman, can you not see the poor girl has just tripped and I was 'elping steady her."
- In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, when Zelda wakes up from her thousand years old slumber, she falls down but Link catches her just in time in what looks like a tender hug.
- In Metal Gear Solid good ending Meryl drops from the remnants of Metal Gear REX into Snake's arms. The whole base is falling apart around them, but they just don't seem to care.
- In Tales of Vesperia, after Estelle manages to break Alexei's mental control, she is in mid-air. She falls down and Yuri catches her. They don't seem to be in any rush of braking the "catch" afterwards.
- Casting agent Farley Wink nearly throws his secretary, Sawyer, into Danny's arms in Turner Features Animation's Cats Don't Dance. "He's new in town. Be nice." It doesn't help that Sawyer encountered Danny previously, and regards him as a frenetic lunatic.