Santino Marella: This cafeteria isn't big enough for the both of us.
Kane: Actually, the kitchen is quite spacious. It could easi-(growls) I mean, YOUR SOUL IS MINE!A Stock Phrase used to emphasize two characters cannot occupy some important place or situation. Originated from western movies and is now a Dead Horse Trope, more often Played for Laughs than Played Straight. Not to Be Confused with there literally not being enough capacity for both people.
- An advertisement for a television rental company had two cowboys complain that the television they were on (presumably not rented from the company in question) wasn't big enough for the both of them.
- Space Patrol Luluco: Said by Inferno Cop to Luluco to encourage, rather than to threaten, her to leave Hell.
- In The Firesign Theatre's "The Further Adventures of Nick Danger", from the album How Can You be In Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All?: when time travel leads to Nancy's past and future selves fighting, they both exclaim, "There ain't room enough in this dress for both of us!"
- Parodied in a Beano special where the Bash Street Kids go to the Wild West:
Danny (kicks saloon doors open): This town ain't big enough for the both of us! (Saloon doors bounce back and slam shut on his nose, causing it to swell up to comical size) ...This town ain't big enough for me now!
- Inverted in The Frisco Kid: "This is a very big country. I'll tell you what I think is the best thing — I'll take San Francisco, you take the rest of America."
- Toy Story: One of the phrases that Woody says when his string is pulled is "This town ain't big enough for the two of us!".
- He never says it directly to Buzz, but the town (or rather, room) not being big enough for the two of them is a plot point.
- Bedtime Stories
Young Skeeter: The galaxy's not big enough for the both of us.
- The Virginian (1929)
Trampas: This world isn't big enough for the both of us!
- The Western Code (1932)
Nick Grindell: This town ain't big enough for the both of us and I'm going to give you 24 hours to get out. If I see you in Carabinas by this time tomorrow, it's you or me!
- Invoked in A Song Is Born, when the housekeeper demands Honey Swanson go, or she does.
- In trying to retrieve the Cross of Coronado at the beginning Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana meets up again with his childhood nemesis, Panama Hat, who remarks that it's a "small world", to which Indy replies, "Too small for two of us!"
- In Megamind, before their final battle, Titan shouts at Megamind "This town isn't big enough for two super-villains!" Megamind then shows Titan the difference between a villain and a super-villain; "PRESENTATION!"
- There's a Tanya Huff short story in the Blood Books universe called "This Town Ain't Big Enough" in which Vicki Nelson, who's now a vampire, fights another vampire to keep her territory.
- Tai Pan:
Dirk Struan: Hong Kong is big enough for Struan's and the other british traders. It's big enough for Britons and Americans. Whether it's big enough for the Brocks and the Struans is a different matter.
Tyler Brock: I'll tell you this, boy; China isn't big enough for the two of us.
- Gore Vidal's Burr: Aaron Burr says that once he learned what Alexander Hamilton said about him, he realized that the world was too narrow for both of them. This is apparently a reference to something the historical Aaron Burr said, late in life:
"Had I read Sterne more and Voltaire less, I should have known the world was wide enough for Hamilton and me."
- M*A*S*H: Colonel Potter says this while fighting over a Sears catalogue with Hawkeye. He also says it when another character drunkenly rides his horse.
Col. Potter: Dupree, I don't want to see you near this horse or my camp ever again. In fact, this war ain't big enough for the two of us!
- Night Court episode "Harry on Trial"
Judge Willard: On July 12th of this year, didn't the defendant, claiming quote, "This courtroom ain't big enough for the two of us," unquote, squirt you in the face with a water pistol in open court?
- Soap Opera Home and Away. During a dream sequence:
Dr. Phillip Matheson: I warned you, dude, Summer Bay ain't big enough for the both of us.
- Even Stevens episode "Short Story"
Louis Stevens: Now listen, the school ain't big enough for the both of us, so you just get out of here.
- The Gene Autry Show episode "Feuding Friends"
Pat Buttram: I told you before, Autry, no town is going to be big enough for the both of us.Gene Autry: Then you better find yourself another town.Pat Buttram: I will not! I found this one first.Gene Autry: I'm stayin' here tonight. You can do what you want.Pat Buttram: And I'm doin' it - right now! [Slugs Autry in the jaw]
- A Sesame Street short on the history of movies used this line as a running gag. At the beginning, Grover, dressed as a cowboy, is in a black-and-white silent film, accompanied by the title card "This town ain't big enough for the two of us!" This is followed by variations of the scene that add sound, color, a wide screen, musical numbers, and special effects.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "The Initiative", Buffy is told that vampire Big Bad Spike has returned to Sunnydale and fumes, "Doesn't he know this is my town?" In "Enemies" rogue vampire slayer Faith expresses a similar sentiment (this time in reference to Buffy). "This is supposed to be my town!"
- Jesus of Nazareth. When Herod orders the Massacre of the Innocents, he shouts, "This is my world! I will not share it with an infant! There's no room for two Kings here."
- Secret Garden Played strait in episode 14 when Yeun Sul tell Gyung Ran to back off because she (Yeun) is the only crazy woman for this drama (she is not breaking the fourth wall, she's just referencing drama troupes.)
- Played for Laughs in one episode of El Chavo del ocho. Don Ramón is fed up with Chavo's antics, and tells him that the vecindad is not big enough for the two of them to continue living in it.
Don Ramón: So it's that, either you leave, or I do.Chavo: One of us... has to leave?Don Ramón: Yes.Chavo: (turns around and starts to walk away towards the entrance. Then he turns around again) Shall I get a taxi for you?
- Horrible Histories: Henry VII's song:
Spent a long time fighting pretenders to the throne
Lambert Simbel and Perkin Warbeck said my throne was their own
They claimed they'd been the princes in the tower, their rule delayed
I said "This crown ain't big enough for the three of us!" and had one SLAYED!
- Sparks' breakthrough hit in the UK was a 1974 single called "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us". According to The Other Wiki, the song originally was going to be full of TVTro...—um, I mean movie clichés.
- Professor Elemental in "Fighting Trousers", in reference to rival "chap-hop" artist Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer.
Be out Mr. B, I set the egg timer.
There's not room in town for two gentlemen rhymers.
Leave town by the end of this instrumental.
Yours, et cetera, et cetera, sincerely, and so forth,
- Calvin and Hobbes has a parody. The two of them are wearing white and black cowboy hats.
Calvin: This town just ain't big enough for the both of us.Hobbes: Yep, I reckon we'll have to annex part o' the county.
- From a 1993 Garfield strip:
Garfield: Spider, this house isn't big enough for both of us. Well, actually it probably is... [smashes the spider with a newspaper] So let's just do this for fun.
- At the end of Hamilton, "Your Obedient Servant" and "The World Was Wide Enough" serve as this for both Hamilton and Burr, as during these songs their longstanding rivalry comes to a violent peak, ending with a pistol duel that ends with Hamilton dead.
- Antony and Cleopatra has Octavius Caesar say something like this when he believes Antony to be dead: "O Antony, we could not stall together in the whole world!"
- In Kingdom of Loathing, a vacation encounter at the Distant Lands Dude Ranch involves both you and an unnamed NPC making this remark about the other. You both decide that the appropriate response is to take out your carpentry tools, do a bit of construction, and make the town a bit bigger.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds: Dr Doom will use this as his intro line against the likes of Dormammu.
Doctor Doom: This DIMENSION is NOT BIG ENOUGH for the BOTH of US!
- Nova's win quote against Magneto involves regarding their helmets.
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: said by Optimus against Megatron in the final chapter.
Optimus Prime: This universe, no matter how vast, will never be big enough for you and I to coexist!
- The last mission in the Mothership Zeta DLC for Fallout 3 is named "The Galaxy Ain't Big Enough". It involves taking out an alien spacecraft.
- In Team Fortress 2, the Scout has the following domination line for the opposing Scout:
This map ain't big enough for the two of us!
- In Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko, there's a video of Gex dressed as a gunslinger in a showdown.
Gex: Alright varmint, this level ain't big enough for the two of us. (lash his tongue on a fly and swallows)
- A Softer World provides an interesting resolution:
"This town isn't big enough for the both of us. Let's run away together!"
- Looney Tunes
Yosemite Sam: This town ain't big enough for the two of us.
Bugs Bunny: It ain't? Pardon me, Mac. (runs offscreen, building noises ensue) Now is it big enough? (Bugs has built an entire city nearby)
Yosemite Sam: No, it still ain't big enough!
Daffy: As I was saying, buster, this planet ain't big enough for the two of us, so... (shoves Marvin off the remains of Planet X) off you go!
- Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century: When Marvin lands on Planet X, Dodgers tells him "this planet ain't big enough for the two of us." After they blow it up during an Escalating War, the statement becomes quite literal.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: quoted when SpongeBob and Patrick were talking about the advantages of being felons.
SpongeBob: And you get to talk tough. [gruff voice] This town ain't big enough for the two of us.
Metroplex: This planet's not big enough for the both of us!
- Jackie Chan Adventures
Jade: Sorry Charlie, but my body ain't big enough for both of us!
- Episode "Project A, for Astral". Shendu is in Jade's body.
Captain Black Dark: Oh Captain Black, I don't think Section 13 is big enough for the both of us.
- Episode "Black Magic"
Jade: Okay Handsome, this town ain't big enough for the both of us!
- Episode "Little Valmont, Big Jade"": again by Jade, only this time's she's 50 feet tall, and fighting a giant ogre.
- According to history the Mongol leader Jamukha, the last man who stood between Temujin and complete control of the Mongol tribes, was offered the chance for reconciliation with Temujin after his defeat due to their former friendship. Jamukha declined, saying that there was only one sun in the sky and there could be only one Mongol leader. Temujin then had him killed in the most honourable fashion possible.
- When General Bernard Montgomery sacked Lt. General Lumsden after the Battle of El Alamein, the latter commented caustically: "this desert is not big enough to have two such shits in it as Monty and myself at the same time."