Not Big Enough for the Two of Us
A Stock Phrase
used to emphasize two characters cannot occupy some important place or situation.
Originated from western movies and is now a Dead Horse Trope
, more often Played for Laughs
than Played Straight
- An advertisement for a television rental company had two cowboys complain that the television they were on (presumably not rented from the company in question) wasn't big enough for the both of them.
- In The Firesign Theatre's "The Further Adventures of Nick Danger", from the album How Can You be In Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All?: when time travel leads to Nancy's past and future selves fighting, they both exclaim, "There ain't room enough in this dress for both of us!"
- Inverted in The Frisco Kid: "This is a very big country. I'll tell you what I think is the best thing — I'll take San Francisco, you take the rest of America."
- Toy Story: One of the phrases that Woody says when his string is pulled is "This town ain't big enough for the two of us!".
- He never says it directly to Buzz, but the town (or rather, room) not being big enough for the two of them is a plot point.
- Bedtime Stories
Young Skeeter: The galaxy's not big enough for the both of us.
- The Virginian (1929)
Trampas: This world isn't big enough for the both of us!
- The Western Code (1932)
Nick Grindell: This town ain't big enough for the both of us and I'm going to give you 24 hours to get out. If I see you in Carabinas by this time tomorrow, it's you or me!
- Invoked in A Song Is Born, when the housekeeper demands Honey Swanson go, or she does.
- There's a Tanya Huff short story in the Blood Books universe called "This Town Ain't Big Enough" in which Vicki Nelson, who's now a vampire, fights another vampire to keep her territory.
- Asian Saga
Dirk Struan: Hong Kong is big enough for Struan's and the other british traders. It's big enough for Britons and Americans. Whether it's big enough for the Brocks and the Struans is a different matter.
Tyler Brock: I'll tell you this, boy; China isn't big enough for the two of us.
- M*A*S*H: A character says this while fighting over a Sears catalogue with another character.
- Night Court episode "Harry on Trial"
Judge Willard: On July 12th of this year, didn't the defendant, claiming quote, "This courtroom ain't big enough for the two of us," unquote, squirt you in the face with a water pistol in open court?
- Soap Opera Home and Away. During a dream sequence:
Dr. Phillip Matheson: I warned you, dude, Summer Bay ain't big enough for the both of us.
- Even Stevens episode "Short Story"
Louis Stevens: Now listen, the school ain't big enough for the both of us, so you just get out of here.
- The Gene Autry Show episode "Feuding Friends"
Pat Buttram: I told you before, Autry, no town is going to be big enough for the both of us.
Gene Autry: Then you better find yourself another town.
Pat Buttram: I will not! I found this one first.
Gene Autry: I'm stayin' here tonight. You can do what you want.
Pat Buttram: And I'm doin' it - right now! [Slugs Autry in the jaw]
- A Sesame Street short on the history of movies used this line as a running gag. At the beginning, Grover, dressed as a cowboy, is in a black-and-white silent film, accompanied by the title card "This town ain't big enough for the two of us!" This is followed by variations of the scene that add sound, color, a wide screen, musical numbers, and special effects.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "The Initiative", Buffy is told that Spike has returned to Sunnydale and fumes, "Doesn't he know this is my town?"
- Sparks' breakthrough hit in the UK was a 1974 single called "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us". According to The Other Wiki, the song originally was going to be full of TVTro...—um, I mean movie clichés.
- Calvin and Hobbes has a parody. The two of them are wearing white and black cowboy hats.
Calvin: This town just ain't big enough for the both of us.
Hobbes: Yep, I reckon we'll have to annex part o' the county.
- From a 1993 Garfield strip:
Garfield: Spider, this house isn't big enough for both of us. Well, actually it probably is... [smashes the spider with a newspaper] So let's just do this for fun.
- Looney Tunes
Yosemite Sam: This town ain't big enough for the two of us.
Bugs Bunny: It ain't? Pardon me, Mac. (runs offscreen, building noises ensue) Now is it big enough? (Bugs has built an entire city nearby)
Yosemite Sam: No, it still ain't big enough!
Daffy: As I was saying, buster, this planet ain't big enough for the two of us, so... (shoves Marvin off the remains of Planet X) off you go!
- Sponge Bob Square Pants: quoted when SpongeBob and Patrick were talking about the advantages of being felons.
SpongeBob: And you get to talk tough. [gruff voice] This town ain't big enough for the two of us.
Metroplex: This planet's not big enough for the both of us!
- Jackie Chan Adventures
- Episode "Project A, for Astral". Shendu is in Jade's body.
Jade: Sorry Charlie, but my body ain't big enough for both of us!
Captain Black Dark: Oh Captain Black, I don't think Section 13 is big enough for the both of us.
- Episode "Little Valmont, Big Jade"": again by Jade, only this time's she's 50 feet tall, and fighting a giant ogre.
Jade: Okay Handsome, this town ain't big enough for the both of us!