Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!
Alice gets up in front of the class and starts her speech, but something's wrong. She looks distracted, and she can't seem to stand still. Her legs and hips gently sway from side to side and her knees turn inward. Soon Alice is drawing odd looks from her classmates as they start to realize what's wrong: Alice has gotta go
! The situation grows tense as she slowly becomes more and more restless, but at last her speech is finished and she can dash from the classroom in search of some badly needed relief.
It's a dance of the ages, that sometimes subtle and sometimes blatant collection of movements intended to resist the body's natural urges and avoid a messy disaster
. Most commonly observed with children or those experiencing a lengthy Potty Emergency
that might just ultimately result in a Potty Failure
. Like those two tropes, it is frequently Played for Laughs
open/close all folders
- Pull Ups had a commercial where kids do the Potty Dance. It has steps! You can visit their website to download the song.
Anime & Manga
- Monsters, Inc..
Sulley: That's a cute little dance you got there, it's almost like you gotta...
Boo: *squeals desperately*
*cut to Sulley standing outside a stall whistling*
- In the children's comic Lumberjanes, Genki Girl Ripley does one through the backgrounds of several pages.
Film: Live Action
- Blazing Saddles: When Taggart gets an idea he gets excited and jumps around. Hedley Lamarr thinks he's doing one of these.
- Bronson Pinchot does this in a film called Second Sight, except it's an extremely elaborate dance they call the peepee dance. He plays a psychic who is channeling someone else who has to pee.
- Mentioned in The Great Muppet Caper; Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo are developing pictures to catch a jewel thief, but they do it in the Happiness Hotel's only restroom. As Pops says, "Catch him in another room! We got people dancin' up an' down on one leg out here!"
- According to Robert Parrish's autobiography (he was one of the Little Rascals), they called this a European, or You're a'-Peein'.
- Fregly in Diary of a Wimpy Kid reportedly does this while screaming "JUICE!! JUUUUIIIICE!!!!" as part of his bizarre use of slang.
- A scene in Darth Vader and Son, a non-canon Star Wars picture book, depicts little Luke Skywalker doing this.
Vader: Luke, do you need to go potty?
Vader: Well, you're kind of doing a little dance.
Luke: I don't have to go.
Live Action Television
- The Love Boat: Isaac does this when forced to share a cabin (and a bathroom) with the other male crew.
- In The Revenge Files Of Alistair Fury a boy does this whilst waiting outside the toilet while Alistair and his friends are holding a meeting inside it. (He doesn't make it).
- Spoofed in Malcolm in the Middle where Dewey's way of charming their babysitter is to bounce up and down singing "Poopy poopy poopy" over and over.
- In the "Unfabulous" episode "The Road Trip" Addie is going through her flashbacks of her dad talking about the car, sports show. The last one shows her dad singing from behind the bathroom door, and Addie is squirming while having a potty emergency. He continues to sing as she waits impatiently in agony desperately waiting for the restroom.
- The MythBusters tested whether this method was more or less effective at staving off the inevitable, with inconclusive results.
- Inverted in Tour of Duty. One of the soldiers is suffering from the runs, and has to keep going off into the bushes while on patrol to drop his pants. While he does so, a huge toad jumps onto his dropped pants. At the same time, he happens to see some Vietcong slipping out of a tunnel to evade the American soldiers; the soldier quickly yanks up his pants and Hilarity Ensues.
- The Sims: Sims do this and yell at the player to get their attention so the player can direct them to the restroom.
- In RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 park guests with a high enough bathroom score change their normal walking animation into a frenetic one of these, particularly if your park's bathrooms are poorly placed or if you're evil enough to charge to use the bathroom.
- In Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, the park guests do this when their Toilet meter is high.
- In the Tamagotchi PC Pack game, all the Tamagotchi except for Kuchipatchi and Ichigotchi do this when you say the command "Use the bathroom" through the microphone.
- Final Fantasy VII features in NPC at the Wall Market bar doing one of these while waiting for a sick bar patron to finish up.
- The Green Apple Quicksteps card from Shadowrun, which removes an enemy runner from play for a turn.
- In Legoland in Windsor near one of the toilets, there are two Legomen doing this.
- Truth in Television for just about every toddler on the planet.
- There's an old joke saying that tapdancing was invented by a man called Stepan Stepanovich who was inspired by the unusual dances his family performed every time he occupied the toilet for too long.