When you've got to go, you've got to go.
The convenience. The smallest room. The privy. The jakes. The cloakroom. The khazi. The water closet. The john. The loo. The dunny. The necessary room. The ladies' or gentlemens' room. The restroom. The crapper. The bog. The shithouse. The meeting room for the brown masses
. And last but not least- the thunderbox
It has many names.
And while fiction might seem to spend most of its time pretending they don't exist
, there are still plenty of tropes relating to bodily functions and the rooms we set aside for them.
- Bathroom Breakout: Someone uses a bathroom break to cover an escape attempt.
- Bathroom Stall Graffiti: Notes people leave on bathroom stalls.
- Bathroom Stall of Overheard Insults: A character overhears other characters insulting them from a lavatory stall.
- Bladder of Steel: Video game feats or achievements that require all but supernatural bladder control.
- Bottomless Bladder: A video game character never goes to the bathroom even though you've been in complete control of them for 72 straight hours.
- Bowel Breaking Bricks: The onomatopoeia version of Oh, Crap.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Fair warning, gents; you may soil yourself.
- Brown Note: A device or technique that causes the victim to experience Potty Failure.
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: A character cannot resist announcing their need to use the restroom.
- Camping a Crapper: Someone wanting to kill someone waits for his or her target to go to the bathroom before making their move.
- The Can Kicked Him: Some poor soul is attacked or even killed with a toilet.
- The Diaper Change: The inevitable moment in any comedy involving a baby where someone gets more than they bargained for.
- Disgusting Public Toilet
- Dung Fu: Thrown excrement used as a weapon.
- Excrement Statement: A character relieves themselves on someone as insult.
- Flushing Toilet, Screaming Shower
- Goodies in the Toilets: Toilets are the new crates and barrels.
- Jar Potty: Using a portable container as an improvised toilet.
- Laxative Prank: One character drugs another secretly with laxatives. In a wacky comedy, Hilarity Ensues. In a deconstructive drama, severe dehydration and criminal charges ensue.
- Locked In The Bathroom
- Male Restroom Etiquette: The strict unwritten code of conduct of the Men's Room.
- No Dead Body Poops: In Real Life a body's bowels will unclench after it dies. In fiction, this is usually glossed over or ignored.
- No Periods, Period: A female character's period doesn't impact the story, even when it probably should.
- Nobody Poops: A work flat out ignores that living creatures excrete waste in any way.
- Plumber's Crack: What you might see as your bathroom fixtures are being repaired.
- Potty Dance: When a character (especially a young child) needs to go very badly, they will jump around a little bit.
- Potty Emergency: A character needs the toilet now.
- Potty Failure: The inevitable result of a Potty Emergency that goes unresolved for too long.
- Putting The Pee In Pool: Did this water just get warmer?
- Rip Van Tinkle: After prolonged inactivity, someone needs a bathroom right now!
- Searching the Stalls: Hunting for someone hiding in a bathroom stall.
- Shy Bladder: A character just can't use the restroom because someone might be watching or overhearing them
- Swirlie: A character sticks another character's head into the toilet. Flushing is optional.
- Talking Poo
- Tinkle in the Eye: When a human baby pees on somebody.
- Toilet Humour: Disgusting bodily functions played for comedy.
- Toilet Paper Trail: Somebody leaves the bathroom and a sheet of toilet paper is stuck to their foot.
- Urine Trouble: A character/object is urinated on by an animal, usually for comedic purposes.
- Wondrous Ladies Room: In fiction, the ladies' room takes on a kind of mystique.