Fun with Flushing
Truth in Television for anyone taking care of a small child or baby. However, several other scenarios can also happen from this as well, say, for example, a character decides to pull a plug in the earth, draining the ocean and turning it into a whirlpool. Other times, it may lead to strange worlds after getting sucked in. For an extreme version, compare Mega Maelstrom. Do not confuse with Down the Drain, as it covers underwater sewer levels in Video Games. Also don't confuse with someone having fun causing Flushing Toilet, Screaming Shower.
open/close all folders
- An old Pepsi commercial had two kids with a pet goldfish who would play dead, where it was given a drop of Pepsi that the fish would jump out of. When the father thinks the fish is dead, he flushes it down the toilet by accident.
Anime & Manga
- Early in Dragon Ball, Master Roshi got accidentally flushed down the toilet while using a shrinking gadget to peep on Bulma.
- The first episode of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt involved a ghost who flushes people down toilets whenever they're used. This happens to Panty midway through the episode, though she breaks free. In a later episode, they travel underground by getting flushed down a toilet to discover a ghost machine they need to destroy.
- In Heaven's Lost Property, Tomoki is chased by a bunch of angry girls who want to beat him up for being a pervert. When they corner him in the bathroom, he escapes by flushing himself down the toilet.
- Finding Nemo: Nemo's escape plan is to play dead and get flushed, because "all drains lead to the ocean". Many have pointed out that in reality, a fish would not survive the trip as it would be ground up during the sewage treatment process, leading some to joke that the title should have been "Grinding Nemo".
- This happens to Roddy in Flushed Away.
- Weaponized in the Polish comedy Kingsajz, where the hero (a leprechaun) uses the toilet to flush the Big Bad and his cronies.
- In Monsters, Inc., Sulley gets some of Boo's toys tangled up on him when he reenters the monster world. He tries to get rid of them by flushing them down the toilet, but it gets clogged up and overflows. He then has to dump them in someone's locker, where they reappear later as a Brick Joke.
- Little Alvin and the Mini-Munks has Theodore overflowing the toilet.
- In The Thief and the Cobbler, the titular thief's first attempt to break into King Nod's palace bring him in the royal toilet. While trying to get out he accidentally pulls the rope and is flushed back into the castle moat.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit: While trying to sneak into the Acme factory, Roger falls on the toilet and gets flushed down. He later comes out a drain pipe in the factory floor for a (failed) Big Damn Heroes moment.
- Clumsy Smurf in The Smurfs almost gets flushed down the toilet, but is saved by being stuck inside a wad of wet toilet paper.
- Love You Forever: A baby boy flushes his mom's watch down the toilet.
- In Carl Hiaasen's Flush, Noah and his sister flush dyes down a polluting ship's toilets in attempt to expose them.
Live Action TV
- Bill Nye the Science Guy: In the episode on digestion, every time Bill says "all the way" a toilet flushes off-screen.
- Dinosaurs had a Very Special Episode where baby learned to use the toilet which had some of this.
- The Secret World of Alex Mack had the title character travel through plumbing pipes in puddle form.
- This was a Running Gag on All in the Family; the Bunkers' upstairs toilet had a really loud flush that could be heard anywhere in the house.
- Keith Moon of the band The Who had a documented habit of flushing firecrackers down the toilets of hotel bathrooms.
- Calvin and Hobbes: Calvin has an elaborate strip where he flushes a toy boat down the toilet. In another one, he and Hobbes dip the dangling paper from the roll into the toilet and flush it. At one point, Calvin himself got into the toilet bowl, flushed himself around in circles, and then informed his mother that he'd finished his "bath."
- In For Better or for Worse, April flushed something, probably a toy boat, down the toilet when she was a toddler. It was the punchline of a strip where they define the word "goomby" or something similar (that's what April says upon flushing it; rhymes with "good-bye"). The following strip shows the father with a plunger, and eventually picking the commode up off the base, saying "Whoever called that thing a convenience never had small children!"
- Jeff Foxworthy mentions this in the skit "I Love Being a Parent" on Games Rednecks Play:
"Our oldest child has discovered the little silver handle on the back of the toilet. She's making more stuff disappear than David Copperfield! My wife's lost three combs, I lost my good sunglasses. We're pretty sure she's flushed the remote control, 'cause every time we go to the bathroom, the TV comes on!"
- Toilet Kids: In this Japanese only Shoot 'em Up, for the Turbografx16, a boy gets sucked into the toilet to battle all sorts of poo related enemies.
- The Adventures Of Willy Beamish: Weaponized in finale. Willy gets rid of the two antagonists by flushing them down a giant toilet full of sludge.
- MadWorld: One of the ways your enemies can be defeated is by stuffing or throwing them in the toilet. They get flushed seconds later.
- A stage in Clay Fighter 63 1/3 took place above a toilet where it was possible to knock your opponent into.
- The NES Tom and Jerry game had a stage where Jerry had to navigate a drain pipe maze to get to the kitchen sink while dodging flows of water.
- Boogerman: This platformer had the title character flush himself down toilets to enter a sewer loaded with powerups and enemies. It's also how the Big Bad is defated-Boogerman burps him into the toilet and he's flushed away.
- In Banjo-Kazooie, after turning the pair into a pumpkin, you can go into a haunted house through a window and then flush yourself down the toilet to reach a secret room where you'll find a Jiggie.
- A Pucca episode has Pucca pull a drain under the lake after saving Garu from a shark. They get stuck in the pipes and Dada inadvertently saves them while unclogging one of the toilets, freeing them both.
- The Amazing World of Gumball:
- This happens to Gumball at the beginning of "The Curse" when he slips on a bar of soap while taking a shower.
- Penny's pet tarantula, Mr. Cuddles was accidentally flushed down the toilet by her father in "The Date". However, it's subverted as he hid under the toilet seat, and Gumball finds it and returns it to Penny, but not before getting bitten mutliple times in the process.
- Darwin and Gumball flush themselves down a toilet in "The Secret" to escape from the boys bathroom in school when they're locked in. They return home through a pipe leading to their toilet at the end of the episode.
- Baby Looney Tunes: The main characters wonder about the toilet in the bathroom and form their own theories about how dangerous it is, while Petunia assures them nothing is wrong. In the process, they panic when Petunia accidentally flushes it, and puts toilet paper to "Feed the monster," clogging it up. They accidentally leave her in and she comes out wet with toilet paper on her. When Granny shows her what the toilet is really for, and Petunia tells them, they don't believe her.
- Dexter's Laboratory: Spirits from the dead hold Dee Dee hostage unless the dead Goldfish is flushed down the toilet.
- Family Guy: In a cutaway gag, this was used as an explaination for the Lindburg Baby kidnapping.
- In Fish Hooks, swimming in a flushing toilet is an extreme sport.
- Futurama: Bender finally got fed up with (or more accurately, jealous of) Nibbler and flushed him down the toilet. This prompted them to install a chip that forced him to feel Leela's emotions, causing him to flush himself (in pieces) so he could rescue it.
- And El Chupanibre was defeated by being flushed down a giant toilet into the sub-sewer.
- One Strong Bad Email from Homestar Runner has Bubs turn into a large Godzilla-like monster after accidentally flushing himself down the toilet while shaving.
- The Magic School Bus: Happens twice in two episodes, one where they go through the water cycle and travels through drain pipes to reach the girls bathroom where the water overflows, and in another episode, they cross over an open toilet bowl which has an alligator swimming in it.
- íMucha Lucha! had Ricochet, Buena Girl and the Flea fight a masked toilet twice in the series. Also, The Flea swam in it at one point.
- Phineas and Ferb had Perry go to his lair by flushing himself down a toilet in one episode.
- On The Powerpuff Girls, the class hamster gets flushed down by Mitch, the schoolyard bully. In the sewer, the hamster gets exposed to chemical waste and comes back a mutated monster out for revenge.
- Rocko's Modern Life: Rocko's pet goldfish is accidentally flushed down the toilet, and gets stuck in the drain pipe for few years, clogging it up.
- The pilot episode had Tommy inspecting the toilet to find out what it does. He accidentally ends up flushing some toilet paper and making a mess in the bathroom, causing the toilet to overflow.
- In another episode, he also flushes jewels down a toilet while he was kidnapped by robbers.
- Another episode had Angelica scaring Tommy and Chuckie by saying they'll get sucked down the drain (After an incident where Tommy accidentally loses one of his toys this way) whenever they take a bath, and throughout the episode they try to find ways to get out of it, which includes flushing anything bathtime related down the toilet. Ironically, she accidentally flushes her own doll, Cynthia, down the toilet. The plumber recovers it, but the doll is ruined.
- The Simpsons
- A Flash Back episode had baby Bart flush Homer's wallet, then his keys down the toilet - but he knew exactly what he was doing.
- "The Crepes of Wrath" had Bart flushing a cherry bomb down a toilet, which blows Principal Skinner's mother off of her seat while she's using it and prompts Skinner to make Bart a foreign exchange student just to get him out of his hair for a while.
- In the MythBusters Simpsons Special, the team tried to replicate the fountains of water that act was shown to cause. Result? Busted. While water may spray feet into the air, so do ballistic shards of porcelain.
- "Deep Space Homer" featured a literal toilet joke and a jab at Married... with Children rolled into one.
- An episode of SpongeBob SquarePants has SpongeBob and Patrick hearing a story about a drain that two kids pulled long ago and that flushed away all of Bikini Bottom. They become obsessed with finding "The Main Drain" and making sure no one pulls it again. They do pull it, of course, but then it turns out to have been All Just a Dream.
- Tiny Toon Adventures
- A baby version of Plucky Duck is learning how to use the toilet for the first time. He gets a lot of enjoyment flushing various items down it, such as toilet paper, Furrball, his toys, even his own diaper! He even climbed into it himself and tried to flush himself down the hole! The toilet gets clogged up as a result.
- This gag was repeated in two more episodes, which consisted of a trip to the mall where he plays with the elevator controls, and a miniature golf course with Plucky struggling to knock the ball in, going as far as to cheat (He gets better at it, though). It was also done in several Animaniacs episodes whenever he made a cameo.
- "The Undersea World Of Fifi" had Elmyra searching for sea monkeys, and it ends with her draining it and having her say the exact same line as baby Plucky did.
- The Kon Ducki episode had Plucky flushing a boat down the toilet as part of the "special effects" during the behind the scenes portion of the episode.
- In Star vs. the Forces of Evil episode "Royal Pain", Star claims that the bathroom is the most magical place in Diaz household to her father. When he finds the toilet, King Butterfly decides to stuff as many things as he can into it to try the flush action. Unsurprisingly, they cause the drain to back up, soaking Marco's socks.