Between 1999 and 2005, Bagdasarian Productions released three direct-to-videos
based on the '80s Alvin and the Chipmunks
The third and thus far final direct-to-video film came out called Little Alvin and the Mini-Munks
. Janice Karman wrote and created the film, Ross Bagdasarian Jr. produced the film, Jerry Rees directed the film and it was released by Paramount Home Entertainment
. Unlike the first two, the film is live action
with puppettry used for the Chipmunks, the Chipettes, PC the frog, Gilda the cockatoo and Sam & Lou the two gophers.
Dave drops off the Chipmunks and Chipettes at his friend Lalu's house so he can spend the weekend working on a song. So the Chipmunks and Chipettes spend a magical weekend at Laluís cottage.NOTE: Tropes under here are specifically for the 2005 Direct-to-Video movie
Little Alvin and the Mini-Munks provide examples of the following tropes:
- all lowercase letters: The "A" on Alvin's shirt.
- Ambiguously Gay: The two gophers are seen ballroom dancing together.
- Animate Inanimate Object: The toilet... oooh the toilet...
- Art Shift: When the gophers go inside a character's head.
- Baby Talk: Uum... the Chipmunks and Chipettes who are portrayed as preschooler age, except for Eleanor, who for some reason is a baby.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The two gophers, Sam and Lou, do this.
- Double Take: Happens when Lalu is reading a story to Brittany and Alvin with Gilda watching when Simon appears all wet:
(she, along with Brittany, Alvin & Gilda looks at Simon
) Simon, why are you all wet? Simon:
The toilet exploded. Gilda, Brittany, Alvin & Lalu:
(all four look back at the book, then look back at Simon
The toilet exploded?
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Brittany seems to have a speech impediment like saying "lipick" instead of "lipstick", "Nette" instead "Jeanette" or "Gilla" for "Gilda".
- Extreme Omnivore: Jeanette eating lipstick.
- Fainting: Gilda, twice.
- Fat and Skinny: Lou Gopher & Sam Gopher, respectively.
- Forgot About Her Flight: Gilda, a cockatoo, is scared by the two gophers wrapped in tin foil and falls out instead of flying away.
- Fun with Flushing: Theodore overflowing the toilet.
- I Told You So: Said by Gilda when Lalu runs up stairs to check the overflowed toilet, chiding about how children can cause nothing but trouble.
- Live-Action Adaptation: Itís the only movie in which Janice Karman and Ross Bagdasarian Jr. appeared in live action. The Chipettes, The Chipmunks, PC, Gilda, Lou and Sam are puppets.
- Overly-Long Tongue: PC uses his tongue to rock Eleanorís cradle. It helps that heís a frog.
- Random Events Plot: The film has Dave put the Chipmunks and the Chipettes under the care of a woman named Lalu for a few days, and the screentime is filled out with things varying from Theodore overflowing the toilet with toys, to Alvin and Simon fighting over a cape, to Jeanette eating Brittany's lipstick and having to make money to buy a new one for her (while wearing a ridiculous costume to help Lalu clean up).
- Shout-Out: See the main shout out page for the franchise.
- Spock Speak: Jeanette hardly uses any contractions.
- Surfer Dude: PC sounds like one.
- Talk to the Wing: Gilda says this when PC asks her to kiss him.
- Those Two Gophers: Sam and Lou.
- Voice Actors
- Water Drop Hello: A drop of water splattered the page of the book Lalu's reading to Alvin and Brittany with Gilda watching. It's revealed to be Simon, who's all wet from toilet water.