open/close all folders
- Proudly subverted by the No More Heroes series, in which every save point is some kind of toilet, and your file data is on toilet paper.
- The Chronicles of Riddick: possibly lampshaded as flushing every toilet in a certain area gives the player an easter egg.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty features urinals that flush whenever the player leaves them.
- There are toilets in Shades Of Doom that, when flushed, spawn a gelatinous blob.
- Crypt Worlds has a pissing mechanic and a meter in the interface showing you how much piss you're carrying around. While being useful in other parts of the game, pissing in toilets serves no purpose.
- Yume Nikki. This is Justified here, however, because it's a dream.
- The first Leisure Suit Larry game has a toilet in Lefty's Bar that can be flushed. Doing so floods the room up to the ceiling. Have a Nice Death!
- The Suffering features a restroom very close to your first cell and is the location of the Cutscene where you pick up Torque's first Morality Pet. Needless to say, the toilets needlessly work (though if your graphics card isn't up to snuff you can expect the most geometrically unsound flush imaginable).
- In Bully, the toilets and urinals can actually be used by Jimmy (though only to urinate), with a flush sound being heard should you choose to do so. You can also place firecrackers in the toilets. And if so inclined, you can drag another student over and give them a swirlie. All of this is purely optional, however.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has a flushable toilet in Skyloft, though Link only sits on it.
- Several games made by Quantic Dream offer the option of using the facilities. Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain typically allow it every time you control a character who is currently in a building with a restroom, while Beyond: Two Souls used it much more sparingly.
First Person Shooter
- Duke Nukem 3D has interactive toilets, but then again, a lot of stuff is more or less interactive in that game. Toilets and urinals can be used (the way they're typically used...) every few minutes to restore 10 health points, and they can also be destroyed to yield a stream of water that can heal the player to maximum, though very slowly.
- In Duke Nukem Forever, the toilets can be used. Unfortunately, one of the toilets has already been used...and that person didn't flush. You can get an achievement for poking the matter in the unflushed toilet.
- The Darkness.
- Half-Life 2 allows the player to flush the toilets in Point Insertion apartment bathrooms. Later on, however, this option is mostly absent.
- Prey (2006).
- The BioShock games. The sinks and bathtub fixtures work as well, and are equally pointless.
- In Running With Scissors's Postal 2, the player is actually able to wee the whole place upside down, and in fact even urinate on burning victims—the toilets, however, still serve no function.
- You can flush toilets in Wolfenstein: The New Order. Doing it at base will cause BJ to muse to himself about what he's doing
- (First toilet) "Everything seems to be in order."(Second) "This is becoming a compulsion."
- A great many fan-made ZZT games. Keys hidden in the toilet's water tank are also a favorite.
- Surprisingly averted in MOTHER 3. Chapter 8 has a whole toilet dungeon, but none of the toilets there can be flushed.
- Subverted in the Fallout series as the player can actually drink from the toilet — though the water, like all non-purified water in the game, is irradiated.
- Deus Ex.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution takes it further with working sinks and hand dryers as well, so you can role-play going to the bathroom...if you really want to.
- Final Fantasy VI actually let you do this to absolutely no benefit to the player.
- In Mass Effect 2 and its sequel, you can flush the toilet in Shepard's quarters on the Normandy. Similarly, EDI chides you for using the wrong gender restroom in 2.
- Silent Hill: Downpour allows the player to flush every toilet in the game if they wish.
Third Person Shooter
- The Max Payne games have such toilets and many other objects than can be activated just for the sake of it.
- Inverted in an episode of The Simpsons where Homer was wearing a Motion Capture suit during a demonstration of the technology and went to the restroom. Everybody saw his avatar going through the motions of using a urinal, but it was a generic park background.