Quagmire: Hey, maybe we could set [Peter] up with another lemon snowcone, huh?
Peter: No thanks. The last one you gave me didn't taste like lemon at all. It tasted like... (pauses) Oh, you guys are asses.When you see snow outside that's ominously yellow-colored. Or worse, when someone tries to feed you a "lemon" snowcone. Yeah, this is a Toilet Humor trope. Sometimes hilariously combined with a character's own moment of Fridge Horror when they realize what it actually is. Especially if they took a bite of it. Due to this trope's inherently juvenile Vulgar Humor, it is unlikely to be appreciated by anyone older than 25. Or Frank Zappa.
— Family Guy, "A Very Special Family Guy Freakin' Christmas"
open/close all folders
- Referenced in an issue of Legion of Super-Heroes: while working on the planet of Braal, where the snow has a natural rusty tint from traces of iron, Sci-Cop Vin Kolkin repeats a saying from his world - "Don't eat the yellow snow." Native Braalian Dyrk Magz replies wryly that it says a lot about Kolkin's world.
- In the Qumi-Qumi episode "The Snowman", as a prank to trip up Shumadan's uphill climb, Juga hides behind Shumadan's half-finished snowman as a yellow liquid squirts out and freezes onto the snow. Juga then walks from behind the snowman, holding a container of orange juice dripping the same contents.
- In Frozen, Anna and Kristoff first meet Olaf while he's wandering through the snow and thinking of colors for it.
Olaf: Yeeah, it really is beautiful, isn't it? But so white! How 'bout a little colour? I'm thinkin' like maybe some crimson, chartreuse, how 'bout yellow? No, not yellow. Yellow in snow: bleurgh. No-go.
- The Abominable Snowman's mysterious "lemon" snowcones in Monsters, Inc., which he offers to visitors. The frigid remoteness of his cave and his chronic isolation are...not reassuring. note
- In Snow Day, one of the different types of snowballs offered for a snowball fight is a yellow one. It's not very popular.
Live Action TV
- On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike makes an extremely clear reference to this trope when he boasts about being "as impure as the driven yellow snow.
- Christmas on Vesterbro has it in the theme song. "Alt kan ske når det er jul/ selvom vores sne er gul" (translated: Everything can happen when it's christmas/ even though our snow is yellow)
- The Winter Olympics special on Top Gear had two challenges between James and Jeremy; the loser of each would have to partake of the yellow snow. Each lost a challenge, so each got to "enjoy" their prize.
- From the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" skit of Saturday Night Live:
Alex Trebek: This is the color of snow.
Sean Connery: What is "yellow"?
Trebek: That is incorrect.
Connery: Are you sure? I made some last night. Spelled my name. Of course, it was your mother's handwriting! (laughing) She was holding the pen!
- Frank Zappa's "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" tells the story of an Inuit boy named Nanook, his favorite baby seal and a fur trapper. And, of course, the yellow snow.
- In the second Ace Attorney game, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All, Maya wants a snow cone from the closed circus concession stand. Phoenix points to all the snow all around them (since it's late December). When Maya points out that there's no syrup, Phoenix hopes to himself that she doesn't notice the discolored snow in the corner. "That's not syrup!"
- The USA commercial for Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc uses this trope. It begins with two snowboarders who appear to be urinating in the snow, writing their names, and then we hear a wave-like sound in the distance as the camera focuses on the snowboarders staring in awe. The camera then turns to a bank of snow with the Rayman 3 logo written in urine, and Rayman looking at the camera, smiling. Then the commercial ends revealing that the snowboarders were actually squirting yellow liquids out of canteens.
- South Park the game on the Nintendo 64 had snowballs as the default attack. A special use for them is to take a whizz on them (with pants unzipping sound) then let fly. Hit one of the four kids with this and enjoy the creative Cluster F-Bomb retaliation.
- Zombidle has an obtainable item called "Lemon flavoured magic snow" which acts as a Money Multiplier for Christmas Event presents.
- In Channel Ate, one character offers another lemonade with a wink. The second character promptly refuses to drink it.
- In Least I Could Do, young Rayne says that his dad makes him eat the yellow snow when he's bad. There's a bottle of lemonade or some other yellow food just out of sight of passersby.
- In Family Guy, Peter's friends give him a "lemon snowcone".
- In an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick ate yellow sand.
- In The Venture Bros., Dr. Venture is left stranded and naked in the high Arctic by his paranoid Poisonous Friend Richard Impossible. As he's wandering through the frozen plain, he abruptly steps into polar bear urine, and angrily laments how he has the bad luck to step into the only patch of Yellow Snow for miles around.
- As said by Koda from Brother Bear, "If the snow's white, then it's all right. Yellow or green, it's just not clean."
- In the Ice Age Christmas special, Sid sees yellow snow and wants to taste it. But Prancer, knowing what it is, quickly says "Don't. Just...don't."