Karl Urban, displaying the later mentioned Fanservice
"I would rather have a scene-stealing bit part than a lead role."
Karl-Heinz Urban (born June 7, 1972) is an actor from New Zealand
(he is half-German, as you can maybe tell from his first name). He is married to fellow Kiwi Natalie Wihongi, who was his makeup artist on the 2000 TV movie The Privateers
. The couple has two sons, Hunter and Indiana.
He started off in soaps and small-time TV dramas, worked his way up to Xena: Warrior Princess
and local film productions, and now co-stars in Hollywood blockbusters with macho men like Bruce Willis
, Vin Diesel
and The Rock
Probably best known for playing Leonard 'Bones' McCoy
in the 2009 Star Trek
film, ╔omer in The Lord of the Rings
, and being 'hey, that guy, what's his name again?
' in over nine thousand of the genre movies you've seen. He also played the title character in Dredd
and was one of the leads in TV series Almost Human
Film and TV Works :
This actor and his roles provide examples of:
- Adorkable: Just look at his picture above.
- Awesome, Dear Boy : Why he accepts most of his movie roles.
- Badass Longcoat : As Black Hat, Kirill and Vincent Stevens.
- Celebrity Resemblance : He looks like Enrique Pe˝a Nieto, President of Mexico. Noted here.
- Cool Helmet : As ╔omer, Vaako and Dredd.
- Deadpan Snarker: As McCoy, Dredd and John Kennex.
- Even the Guys Want Him : Chris Pine has admitted to having a man crush on his Star Trek co-star.
- Fake American: Quite a few of his roles. McCoy especially has a flawless accent that is uncannily reminiscent of De Forest Kelley.
- Fan Community Nickname : His fans are known as Urbabes, Urbanites or Urbanologists. Take your pick.
- Fanservice: He once stuck a microphone in his mouth at a Q&A.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: A notable quirk of McCoy which Urban actually possessed in real life before taking on the role. Chris Pine once said that Urban has "the best eyebrow raise in the business".
- Gaius Julius Caesar: His character on Xena: Warrior Princess. First introduced as "Caesar, Julius Caesar".
- Hypothetical Casting : The authors of the Cut & Run series of novels see him as main character Ty Grady. The description in the first book is so obvious that they might as well have used his photo.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor : He's played his fair share of villains, killers, grumps and snarks, but by all accounts is a ridiculously nice, generous, humble, nerdy guy.
- Mistaken Identity : Sometimes mistaken for New Zealand-born country music star Keith Urban. A Singapore newspaper once reported that he had married Nicole Kidman.
- Name's the Same : He's the actor from New Zealand. Not the World War I flying ace from Austria.
- Old Shame : At a convention appearance, he half-joked that his favourite scene from Doom was the end credits. When a fan mentioned that he liked the movie, Urban asked him if he had actually seen it.
- One of Us: Urban is a longtime fan of Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Judge Dredd, Battlestar Galactica, Dungeons & Dragons and numerous video games.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping : His American accent is pretty good, but he'll occasionally slip into his native Kiwi accent, usually when he's yelling, speaking rapidly or when the word contains the letter 't'.
- Perpetual Frowner : The man pulls a world class frown. Even when he's smiling, he's also frowning.
- Personal Arcade : He is an avid pinball fan with a sizeable collection of his own machines. He provided the voice recordings for the Star Trek (Stern) pinball game.
- Playing Against Type: Known mostly for action roles, his casting as the comedic and (physically) non-combative Bones in Star Trek was met with a resounding 'wtf?' Only to succeed at the role so well that he reduced Leonard Nimoy to tears and left fans wondering if he had been possessed by the spirit of De Forest Kelley himself. He was just that good.
- Portmanteau Couple Name : Karl Urban + Chris Pine = Urbine.
- Promoted Fanboy :
- Real Men Wear Pink : In an interview with Women's Health, he revealed that he loves to light scented candles and take long baths.
- Romance on the Set : He met his wife on the set of The Privateers. She was his make up artist.
- Star-Making Role : As ╔omer in The Lord of the Rings or as McCoy in Star Trek.
- Shirtless Scene :
- Tall, Dark and Handsome : He stands 6'1".
- Troll :
- He promised fans some footage of the sequel to Star Trek instead we got this.
- Then there was the whole "Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be a great Gary Mitchell" wind-up. Well played, sir. Well played.
- What Could Have Been :
- He was briefly in the running to replace Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, but was unable to attend the audition due to filming commitments.
- He was the original choice to play Kainan in Outlander. He dropped out when filming was delayed, and went on to make Pathfinder instead.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes? : After the skinny-dipping scene in The Price Of Milk, he developed such an aversion to milk that he had to go for phobia counseling.
- You Look Familiar : He played Cupid and Julius Caesar in the Hercules and Xena universe. He also played Kor in Amazon High, the pilot movie for a third series in the same universe that was never picked up.