Creator / Rick Riordan
Rick Riordan is an American author. He is best known for his series of children's books, The Camp Half-Blood Series
(Percy Jackson and the Olympians
, The Heroes of Olympus
, The Trials Of Apollo
), The Kane Chronicles
and Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
, which have granted him the epithet "Myth Master".
Tropes common in his works:
- Alliterative Name: His full name, too; it's Richard Russell Riordan, Jr.
- All Myths Are True: In the case of his books, Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Norse mythology co-exist in the same universe. There is also a mention of Jesus and Moses is confirmed to exist, though his characters remain officially agnostic on the existence of a "Capital-G God."
- Cliffhanger: Has a reputation for these (though more often he simply leaves some plot threads unresolved to be built on in later books, which some confuse for this trope).
- Deadpan Snarker: He writes a lot of these. He's also quite the snarker himself, if his twitter account is anything to go by.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Oh yes. With four distinct groups of heroes and their respective villains, this is to be expected.
- Recycled In Space: Though he's pretty clever at it, making the blend of ancient mythology and the modern world complex and entertaining.
- Shown Their Work: Riordan certainly does his research, though he sometimes juggles things around for Artistic License, and the fact that many of the myths have different variations and are often open to interpretations.
- Troll: The fandom is fond of calling him one, due to his penchant for cliffhangers. He takes it well, though.
House of Hades dedication page:
To my wonderful readers: Sorry about that last cliffhanger
. Well, no, not really. HAHAHAHA. But seriously, I love you guys.
- World of Badass: To be expected when the world has four distinct groups of heroes who get involved in epic battles with their respective villains.
- World of Snark: Contributing to plenty a Crowning Moment of Funny.