open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Subverted in the manga version of Cyborg 009. In the story "Heart of the Machine", Nana, a teenage girl who's a mix of Broken Bird and Fille Fatale shows up naked save for her stepmother's lacey robe and hits on Albert/004, who is twice her age, and strips naked when he doesn't take her bait. Despite how Nana willingly took her robe off in an attempt to taunt him, since he still refuses to concede, she covers herself and breaks down crying.
- Himiko Kudo from Get Backers falls victim to this twice during Limitless Fortress arc.
- The first one is when she is betrayed by Kazuki (actually Akame Kogenta in disguise), who traps her with his string. When Himiko insults him for his betrayal, the fake Kazuki responds her by shredding her clothes with his strings, rendering her almost nude. Cue Himiko screaming "KYAA!".
- The second one is when she fights Kagami, this time wearing a new set of clothes. During that fight, Kagami's shards of mirrors shred her clothes, rendering her almost nude again. Poor Himiko can't catch a break.
- A non-nude example occurs in Sgt. Frog: During the physical exam episode, Fuyuki, while getting dressed, gets knocked outside in his tighty whities in front of his classmates by Keroro. Fuyuki's reaction is what you'd expect.
- Likewise, in Mahou Sensei Negima!, especially to Takane. Although some of the girls manage to get over this due to the sheer amount of Clothing Damage to which they're subjected.
- This happens in Maicchingu Machiko Sensei whenever the main character ends up naked. Considering this happens Once an Episode, it has featured many subsequent freak outs.
- This happens to Nepgear, Uni, Rom and Ram in one chapter of the manga version of Neptunia: Because their clothes didn't shrink along with them when they were transformed into babies, they were obviously naked when they returned to their normal ages.
- When Akane walks in on (male) Ranma in the bath in the first episode/chapter of Ranma ˝, both simply freeze in place staring at each other's partially nude bodies for several moments before Akane calmly returns to the outer bath room, puts her robe back on, steps out into the hall, closes the door behind her... and then screams her head off.
- This happens to Yoko in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann in a Hot Springs Episode episode where she has at the end a wardrobe malfunction. Seen here.
- Those Who Hunt Elves: the main characters strip elven females and the elves get a Naked Freakout.
- In fact, the above image is from Episode 3, where Dihal, the aformentioned elf, is tricked into drinking a magic growth potion dubbed "The Water of the Giants" by Airi. Considering Dihal was needlessly putting the town at risk just to win a bet between herself and Airi, it's practically karmic.
- Happen to Sakura in episode 13 of Urusei Yatsura. The girls' swimsuits are stolen during a Hawaiian vacation, and everyone suspects Cherry (the actual culprit was an octopus). Also Sakura's swimsuit is being pulled off while she is in the sea. Ataru, Megane and Perm nobly swim out to help, but she swims away from them, crying as she stands like Venus in the waves. Ataru remarks that this is the first time they’ve seen her feminine side, which earns him a pounding.
- In Freezing, Attia convinces Satellizer to put on a one-piece that looks like a bunch of white straps. She reluctantly agrees, and the boys go wild. They go even wilder when Attia's prank is revealed: the suit's material turns transparent in bright light. Poor Satellizer, undestandably, ends up swearing by this trope.
- Flare has one after Damian Pomegranate spritzes her with a green liquid that dissolves her entire costume, including her gloves, cape and boots.
- This happens to Plastique when Firestorm vaporized her clothes to get the bombs she was intending to use to blow up innocent people. Although her reaction was mostly off camera, you get the general idea from a single word balloon.
- Fantastic Four: The Human Torch once flamed on in a waterpark, forgetting that his trunks weren't unstable molecules. Hilarity Ensues.
Films — Animated
- This is played for laughs in Brave. Elinor's transformation into a bear results in none of her clothes fitting her anymore, being a 10-ft-tall, 500-lb beast and all. Bear!Elinor, still a proper lady on the inside, is bereaved by this and desperately tries to cover herself with a bedsheet. When Merida offends her by yanking it away to get her to stop going the wrong way when escaping the castle, Merida angrily hisses "You're covered with fur! You're not naked!".
Films — Live-Action
- When an almost completely naked Plenty O'Toole is being given an unfriendly escort out in Diamonds Are Forever, her screaming objection does not go unnoticed.
- Julia Roberts had a bit of this when she was caught skinny dipping by Nick Nolte and some Boy Scouts in 1994's I Love Trouble.
- Marvel Ann (Amy Adams) suffers this after suffering a humorous Shameful Strip in Psycho Beach Party.
- Appeared in some of the Jerry Lewis comedies of the 1950s and early '60s within the limitations of that era's censorship rules, of course.
- Babs Jansen (Martha Smith) in her final scene in Animal House. Especially funny because the "YEAH!" Shot for Babs's segment in the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue freezes her in that state of undress, thereby leaving her stuck on the street in her underwear forever!
- In fact, Animal House really got the ball rolling on this trope. Countless 1980s teen comedies have scenes like this shoehorned in: Zapped! (where it's pretty much the raison d'etre of the plot), Weird Science, Better Off Dead, etc. The trope in a sense came full circle in 1995 when National Lampoon did it again in Senior Trip — this time with a young Mormon entertainer who is stripped of her gown during a riot and left in women's underwear that's several decades out of date.
- Barbara Windsor got this in just about every Carry On movie she was in. Also Patsy Rowlands in Carry On Matron. One of the many nurses in Carry On Nurse was stripped by the drunken men in her ward and tied to a bed.
- There's a completely unfunny example near the beginning of A Clockwork Orange: A young woman is stripped by a gang of skinhead rapists, and she runs off naked when Alex and his crew arrive on the scene looking for a fight.
- Subverted in The Movie of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Pike accidentally rips off part of Buffy's ball gown as she runs off to fight the vampires, exposing almost all of her white-stockinged legs. But Buffy is so focused on the vampires that she doesn't notice at first — and doesn't care too much when she does notice.
- Slaughter House Five: when Montana Wildhack first discovers herself on Tralfalmadore.
- Played for Drama in the "out damned spot scene" of Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth (though it had less to do with Lady Macbeth's nudity as it merely served as a reflection of her nervous breakdown).
- Subversion in A Shot in the Dark as Clouseau and Maria are in a nudist colony but need to make a hasty retreat in a car...when they get stuck in a city traffic jam they both freak out.
- Jane Sibbett plays the Rich Bitch in both It Takes Two and Au Pair, and suffers the freak out in both films. It Takes Two had Jane lose her dress during a wedding ceremony (this happened right after she was outed for a slew of dastardly deeds, so this is also a version of a Shameful Strip). In Au Pair, a couple of diabolical kids Booby Trap a banquet table, hoping to humiliate the Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold. Jane is the Asshole Victim in the wrong place at the wrong time, and sits at the table. Minutes later, her dress is destroyed in front of everyone.
- Kirsten Dunst has a nightmare in the opening of Bring It On where she suddenly becomes naked in front of her entire school during a cheer leader performance, with only her pom-poms to cover her while the other students alternate between laughing at her and admiring her.
- My Fellow Americans had former Presidents James Garner and Jack Lemmon cornering an evil White House henchman while he's in bed with his beautiful blonde girlfriend — and she storms off into the bathroom whimpering while trying to cover herself with the sheets.
- Dee Wallace Stone has a mild one in Invisible Mom 2 when she is hiding behind a chair. When she sees that her invisibility has worn off, she covers herself with the blanket from the back of the chair.
- One of the illustrations for Dave Barry's Babies and Other Hazards of Sex parodies a common picture from sex-ed textbooks by showing the people in the picture as doing this.
- In My Teacher Is an Alien, Peter, a sixth-grader who has been voluntarily abducted by aliens, has a mild one when he's put in The Nudifier in order to be "decontaminated" of potentially dangerous germs; it's pretty clear that the aliens are monitoring him while this happens. After a moment he tries to console himself with the fact that, well, back on Earth he'd have had to start changing for gym soon, and at least the aliens probably weren't going to make fun of him or snap wet towels at his butt.
- In the season one finale of Ned & Stacey titled, appropriately, "The End", featured Stacy (a pre-fame Debra Messing) walking out of her bed room completely naked after a passionate day of lovemaking with her boy toy — only to be caught by her husband, Ned, and his bosses. Naturally, Stacy's complete and utter sexual humiliation was played for laughs.
- A trademark gag on The Benny Hill Show.
- This happened at least once on America's Funniest Home Videos. Someone slipped on the floor and grabbed a curtain to try to break his fall, pulling the curtain all the way down to reveal that a group of young women were changing their clothes behind it.
- On an episode of Family Matters, Extraverted Nerd Steve Urkel was up to his usual bumbling antics and lurched around a classroom wreaking havoc. He eventually ripped the dress off a Hollywood Homely teacher, leaving her in "granny nightshirt"-type underwear.
- An episode of Bewitched has Samantha befriend a beleagured magician who is being exploited by his scheming, vain assistant. On learning how the assistant plans to use him, Samantha magics the assistant's gown to rip off in front of the audience, revealing that the assistant wears a girdle.
- This happened all the time to the woman in the Kenny Everett Video Show.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: when everyone's nightmares started coming true, Xander enters a classroom and finds himself in only boxer shorts and freaks out royally. To a lesser degree in a later episode, he joins the school swim team, and when encountering the girls while wearing a speedo suit, he goes into a horrified crouch and covers himself with a paddleboard.
- One scene in the opening montage for The Man Show had a yard worker using his leaf blower to blow off a woman's dress, causing her to assume this pose.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Q2," Q's son Q tries to invoke this with Seven of Nine, but she refuses to play along.
- On the 11th episode of Eastwick Kat has this reaction when her boyfriend's son walks in on her right after she dropped her Modesty Towel.
- A regular reaction by women (especially Heels) who lose a Bra and Panties Match), although their underwear is often less revealing than the average bikini. And the winner will likely as not rip the rest of her clothes off anyway.
- Subverted all around at the 2005 Great American Bash. Melina Perez won the match by stripping off Torrie Wilson's pants and top. She then punched Special Guest Referee Candice Michelle in a Kick the Dog moment, prompting Torrie to retaliate on her friend's behalf by knocking Melina on her ass. Torrie and Candice then stripped off Melina's pants, causing her to run from the arena in a panic in her bright orange bra and panties. Candice then stripped off her referee's uniform for no reason, and then she and Torrie both left the arena in their underwear and smiling, despite Torrie having lost the match!
- Professional Wrestling is unusual where this trope is concerned in that its victims have tended to be male as often as not. At the WWF/WCW inVasion pay-per-view in 2001, someone (probably a plant) showed up at a fan event wearing a WCW T-shirt. One of the WWF wrestlers, indignant, ripped the shirt off — leaving the now topless guy running off and covering his man-boobs.
- Something like this happened to Rick Rude once. He started up a gimmick where at every event he'd wear a pair of tights with a different image airbrushed on them, and one time that image was the face of Jake "The Snake" Roberts' wife (Rude's character was a notorious womanizer). Roberts angrily ripped the tights off, causing Rude to run off "bare naked." (Actually, he was wearing flesh-colored panty hose.)
- A particularly infamous male example was Howard "The Fink" Finkel's exposure in 2002. He was competing against Lilian Garcia in a Tuxedo vs. Evening Gown Match for the right to announce the matches on Monday Night Raw. Any hopes of seeing Garcia in her underwear were cruelly — and I mean cruelly — dashed when Trish Stratus and Stacy Keibler interrupted the match, prompting Finkel to insult them. Bad idea: one dropkick to the crotch from Stacy later, and the Fink was writhing on the mat in agony as all three women worked together to strip off his tuxedo; he was left running from the arena in nothing but revealing red bikini briefs, prompting every mortified observer to reach for the nearest carton of Brain Bleach.
- Garcia's panties were finally put before the public view on the episode of Monday Night Raw immediately after WrestleMania 23 in 2007 — and yes, the fandom rejoiced, having complained about Garcia's prudery countless times in the past. It actually happened because Vince McMahon had gotten his head shaved by Bobby Lashley and Donald Trump in front of the entire world the night before, forcing him to go everywhere wearing a hat or some other form of headgear. Lashley showed up on the program to snatch off Vince's hat, prompting Vince to desperately look around for something to cover his bald head — and he settled, fatefully, on sticking his head up Lilian Garcia's skirt. This wouldn't necessarily have led to anything if Lilian hadn't stood there helplessly and let Vince get away with it and if Lashley hadn't been too Genre Savvy for Lilian's sake and ripped the skirt right off, giving the whole world a good look at the spectacle of Vince's chrome dome wedged between Lilian's black-pantied thighs. It was a rare case of a face wrestler acting like a total dick (since Lilian herself has always been a face), as well as of a non-wrestling female face being hurt or humiliated for the audience's entertainment. Just try to imagine that being aired on WWE programming nowadays!
- TNA Knockouts Champion Madison Rayne was stripped of her evening gown by Mickie James in a recent episode of Thursday Night Impact.
- Distressingly, this seems to happen regularly to Ric Flair, of all people, usually when he's a heel. The basic setup is Flair coming the ring in an Armani suit to taunt another wrestler. The other guy more often than not snap and deliver a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown on Flair. Being a Dirty Coward, Flair will then try to flee only to have his suit ripped down almost to the underwear level (and generally G-rated underwear at that, such as a white tank top and boxer shorts) — and if his opponent is feeling especially vicious, Flair will be made to shed blood as well. Absurdly large amounts of it.
- In the musical Best Foot Forward, when the Hollywood actress arrives at the High-School Dance, she is stripped of her clothes by the souvenir-seeking preps.
- In the '80s classic Rampage, you play as one of three gigantic monsters who go about smashing up various cities around North America. If you're shot too many times, though, your character turns back into a naked human who sheepishly tiptoes down the street while striking this pose. (That is, in the arcade version. In the home entertainment version, the transformed monster is left in his or her underwear.)
- An odd variation of this occurs in Adventure Time. In the episode "You Made Me," the character Lemongrab is having an emotional breakdown. He freaks out and defenestrates himself. When he lands on the ground unharmed he immediately opts for dramatically ripping off his clothes, letting them fly away in tattered shreds as he runs wailing into the night, clad only in his undies.
- Happens earlier with the same character in "Too Young." When he was first created by Princess Bubblegum in her laboratory, he was naked. The first thing he did when he came to life was go bonkers, screaming and flapping his arms.
- In The Mummy: The Animated Series episode "Fear Itself", a demon causes several characters to experience their greatest fears. It causes Colin Weasler's clothes to disappear, making him scream and hide.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Make New Friends and Keep Discord", Rarity undergoes one of these when Discord vacuums her dress off after she gets Covered in Gunge. Naturally, given that ponies don't normally wear clothes anyway, the joke is mainly about her overreaction to being stripped.
- A similar joke takes place in "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000" when Rainbow Dash rips the bed covers off Fluttershy, causing her to blush and quickly cover herself.
- The Simpsons: Homer is caught shirtless in an intimate moment with Marge in the episode "Natural Born Kissers". He shrieks and covers his nipples with a pair of teacups.
- Happens to Kabuto at the end of ''Tokyo Mater'', which is an extremely embarrassing defeat for a mean Japanese race car who enjoyed stripping other cars of their modifications after losing to him.
- Garnet and Gure: This short features a regular character scrambling to hide when her calendar shoot is invaded by an unwanted admirer.
- About 50% of the Embarrassed Nude Female fetish, with the other 50 being Reluctant Fanservice Girl.
- Being a Reluctant Fanservice Boy, The Nostalgia Critic has had this a couple of times, like in the "Is Eyes Wide Shut Artsy Porn" title card, where he's naked and trying to hide himself from the masked men in the movie.