Cracks is an independent drama film starring Eva Green, Juno Temple, Marķa Valverde, and Imogen Poots, which was released theatrically on December 4, 2009. It is based on the novel of the same name by Sheila Kohler. Set in the 1930's, the story centers on a group of girls at an elite British boarding school and their beautiful, enigmatic diving instructor. Di Radfield, the leader of the group, has feelings for Miss G. When her place as Miss G's favorite is threatened by the arrival of a beautiful Spanish (Italian in the novel) girl called Fiamma she becomes increasingly jealous. Meanwhile Miss G tries everything she can to impress the newcomer. Fiamma however is not taken in by Miss G and becomes increasingly disturbed by her. Miss G's obsession with Fiamma grows and Fiamma, ostracized by the other girls due to Di's jealousy, just wants to go home. The whole thing spirals into tragedy when Miss G rapes a drunken Fiamma and Di witnesses this.
Tropes observed in the movie:
- Ambiguous Disorder: Miss G. Possibly agoraphobia as she seems nervous during her trip to town and becomes almost panicked when she attracts the attention of some local louts
- Boarding School: the movie is set in a British boarding school for girls.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To some extent Di towards Miss G
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Averted. Miss G's molestation of Fiamma is not glamorized or shown as sexy and Fiamma is visibly traumatized the next day
- Fanservice Mostly averted apart from a brief shot of Toplessness from the Back of Miss G during the skinny dipping scene. Then again Eva Green does seem to have it in her contract that she must get naked at least once per movie
- Jail Bait: Fiamma
- Karma Houdini: Somewhat averted. Miss G doesn't get sent to jail but she does lose the affection of the girls on her team, her job and the place that has been a home to her since she was a girl herself
- Let Them Die: Miss G does this to Fiamma to try to cover up that she raped her.
- Manipulative Bastard: Miss G. Despite having clearly never gone much further than the villiage she manages to convince the whole diving team that she's an experienced traveller. Well at least until Fiamma comes along, who is actually a seasoned traveller
- Psycho Lesbian: Miss G, to the point of actually raping Fiamma when she's drunk
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Di in the film. All the girls in the novel.
- Skinny Dipping: One of the more disturbing scenes early in the movie involves Miss G waking the girls up late at night and taking them skinny dipping
- Stalker with a Crush: Again Miss G, towards Fiamma
- Teacher/Student Romance: Di has a crush on Miss G and Miss G has one towards Fiamma
- This Is Unforgivable!: The diving team's reaction when they realize Miss G has raped Fiamma and allowed her to die
- Villain with Good Publicity: Miss G for most of the movie. She's a seriously disturbed woman capable of terrible things, but the girls and the school have no idea until it's too late.
- Yandere: Miss G... and how!
"The most important thing in life is desire"