is an independent drama film starring Eva Green, Juno Temple, Marķa Valverde, and Imogen Poots, which was released theatrically on December 4, 2009. It is based on the novel of the same name by Sheila Kohler. Set in the 1930's, the story centers on a group of girls at an elite British boarding school and their beautiful, enigmatic diving instructor. Di Radfield, the leader of the group has feelings for Miss G. When her place as Miss G's favorite is threatened by the arrival of a beautiful Italian girl called Fiamma she becomes increasingly jealous. Meanwhile Miss G tries everything she can to impress the newcomer. Fiamma however is not taken in by Miss G and becomes increasingly disturbed by her. Miss G's obsession with Fiamma grows and Fiamma, ostracized by the other girls due to Di's jealousy, just wants to go home. The whole thing spirals into tradegy when Miss G takes advantage of a drunken Fiamma and Di witnesses this.
Tropes observed in the movie:
- Ambiguous Disorder: Miss G. Possibly agoraphobia as she seems nervous during her trip to town and becomes almost panicked when she attracts the attention of some local louts
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Miss G towards Fiamma and to some extent Di towards Miss G
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Averted. Miss G's molestation of Fiamma is not glamorized or shown as sexy and Fiamma is visibly traumatized the next day
- Fanservice Mostly averted apart from a brief shot of Toplessness from the Back of Miss G during the skinny dipping scene. Then again Eva Green does seem to have it in her contract that she must get naked at least once per movie
- Jail Bait: Fiamma
- Karma Houdini: Somewhat averted. Miss G doesn't get sent to jail but she does lose the affection of the girls on her team, her job and the place that has been a home to her since she was a girl herself
- Let Them Die: Miss G does this to Fiamma to try a cover up her molestation of her. It may have worked except Di actually sees her putting Fiamma's inhaler back in her hand after she's dead
- Manipulative Bastard: Miss G. Despite having clearly never gone much further than the villiage she manages to convince the whole diving team that she's an experienced traveller. Well at least until Fiamma comes along, who is actually a seasoned traveller
- Psycho Lesbian: Miss G, to the point of actually raping Fiamma when she's drunk
- Skinny Dipping: One of the more disturbing scenes early in the movie involves Miss G waking the girls up late at night and taking them skinny dipping
- Stalker with a Crush: Again Miss G, towards Fiamma
- Teacher/Student Romance: Di has a crush on Miss G and Miss G has one towards Fiamma
- This Is Unforgivable: The diving team's reaction when they realize Miss G has molested Fiamma and allowed her to die
- Villain with Good Publicity: Miss G for most of the movie. She's a seriously disturbed woman capable of terrible things, but the girls and the school have no idea until it's too late.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Miss G. Though her actions are abhorrent (taking advantage of a drunk student and later letting her die) it's hard not to feel a bit sorry for her when you get some idea of what her life is like. She obviously has deep psychological issues and though she longs to travel she will never get to do so. And the end it's implied she will probably live out most of her life in that one small room
- Yandere: Miss G... and how!
"The most important thing in life is desire"