Cracks is an independent drama film starring Eva Green, Juno Temple, María Valverde, and Imogen Poots, which was released theatrically on December 4, 2009. It is based on the novel of the same name by Sheila Kohler. Set in the 1930's, the story centers on a group of girls at an elite British boarding school and their beautiful, enigmatic diving instructor. Di Radfield, the leader of the group, has feelings for Miss G. When her place as Miss G's favorite is threatened by the arrival of a beautiful Spanish (Italian in the novel) girl called Fiamma she becomes increasingly jealous. Meanwhile Miss G tries everything she can to impress the newcomer. Fiamma however is not taken in by Miss G and becomes increasingly disturbed by her. Miss G's obsession with Fiamma grows and Fiamma, ostracized by the other girls due to Di's jealousy, just wants to go home.
Tropes observed in the movie:
- Adult Fear: You send your child far away into the sole care of people who will prey on and murder them.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Miss G. Possibly agoraphobia as she seems nervous during her trip to town and becomes almost panicked when she attracts the attention of some local louts
- Boarding School: the movie is set in a British boarding school for girls.
- Boarding School of Horrors: The girls bully Fiamma to the point where she runs away, Miss G. rapes Fiamma, and the headmistress turns a blind eye to preserve the school's reputation.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Miss G authorizes a party for her students with alcohol. Fiamma gets drunk and Miss G takes her back to her room and molests her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: To some extent Di towards Miss G
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Female: Averted. Miss G's molestation of Fiamma is not glamorized or shown as sexy and Fiamma is visibly traumatized the next day.
- Fanservice Mostly averted apart from a brief shot of Toplessness from the Back of Miss G during the skinny dipping scene. Then again Eva Green does seem to have it in her contract that she must get naked at least once per movie.
- Insignia Rip-Off Ritual: After it's revealed that Miss G molested Fiamma and let her die of an asthma attack, the diving team rip off their red sashes and throw them at her feet.
- Jail Bait: Fiamma.
- Karma Houdini: Somewhat averted. Miss G doesn't get sent to jail but she does lose the affection of the girls on her team, her job and the place that has been a home to her since she was a girl herself.
- Lady of Adventure: Miss G pretends to be one to impress her students. Fiamma actually is one.
- Manipulative Bastard: Miss G. Despite having clearly never gone much further than the village she manages to convince the whole diving team that she's an experienced traveller. Well at least until Fiamma comes along, who is actually a seasoned traveller.
- Nerdy Inhaler: Averted. Fiamma needs an inhaler but she's probably the most socially well-adjusted character in the movie.
- Phony Degree: Mildly. It's revealed that the diving team has never competed against another school (likely due to Miss G's hidden agoraphobia).
- Psycho Lesbian: Miss G, to the point of actually raping Fiamma when she's drunk.
- Psychopathic Womanchild: Miss G often acts more like a fellow student than a teacher. While this often makes her a Cool Teacher, it leads to a lot of destructive behaviour that she doesn't seem to think is that bad. For example, she seems to think her attraction to Fiamma is a harmless crush, and doesn't quite seem to understand why Fiamma has a problem with this.
- Pull the Thread: After Spotting the Thread, Fiamma, who is actually a seasoned traveler, starts asking Miss G more specific questions about her travels that she can't answer.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Di in the film. All the girls in the novel.
- Skinny Dipping: One of the more disturbing scenes early in the movie involves Miss G waking the girls up late at night and taking them skinny dipping.
- Spotting the Thread: Fiamma realizes that Miss G's stories of travel and adventure are fake when she steals a quote from a story she knows.
- Stalker with a Crush: Again Miss G, towards Fiamma.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Di has a crush on Miss G and Miss G has one towards Fiamma.
- This Is Unforgivable!: The diving team's reaction when they realize Miss G has raped Fiamma and allowed her to die.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Miss G. Though her actions are abhorrent (raping a drunk student and later letting her die) it's hard not to feel a bit sorry for her when you get some idea of what her life is like. She obviously has deep psychological issues and though she longs to travel she will never get to do so. And the end it's implied she will probably live out most of her life in that one small room.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Miss G for most of the movie. She's a seriously disturbed woman capable of terrible things, but the girls and the school have no idea until it's too late.
- Yandere: Miss G... and how!
"The most important thing in life is desire"