Homer puts himself on a diet after getting stuck on a water slide ride and making the news. Meanwhile, Marge realizes her lost dream of painting after Homer finds her old Ringo Starr
- As Himself: Ringo Starr, the first of the (then-)three surviving Beatles to appear on the show.
- Broken Record and Overly-Long Gag: "Will you take us to Mount Splashmore?" "No.", "Will you take us to Mount Splashmore?" "No."...
- Much like the rake gag on "Cape Feare," this part was shortened in syndication.
- Diet Episode: The first of many involving Homer. Played more realistically than most in that Homers weight loss isnt dramatic or signifigant enough to alter his appearance much, he simply loses enough to reach a healthier weight.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Marge discovers that Mr Burns has absolutely no redeeming qualities, making it difficult for her to make a good painting of him. She tries to tell him she can't paint a positive picture of him due to his behavior, but Mr. Burns cuts her off by saying he needs the painting done on time and tells her to shut up and paint.
- Kent Brockman News: The news anchors cracking jokes about Homer's weight while on the air.
- Kick the Dog: Burns making fun of Homer's attempt at losing weight, driving Homer to binge on food again until Marge stops him. It is also the final straw to Marge realizing Burns has no redeeming qualities and pretty much tells him to get out.
- No Name Given: Subverted. Apu's first name is revealed in this episode.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Apu's story is titled "Hands Off My Jerky, Turkey."