At the posh Majestic Hotel in Manhattan, brothers Kyle and Brian have to be on their best behavior while their father, hotel manager Robert Grant (played by Jason Alexander) prepares for the hotel's upcoming annual gala. Things get complicated further when his boss, the hotel's owner Mrs. DuBrow (Faye Dunaway) shows up with unwelcome news: The Le Monde
travel association is slated to award a sixth star to the most elite five-star hotels in the world, and if the Majestic doesn't get one, he's fired.
Meanwhile, a jewel thief by the name of Lord Rutledge (Rupert Everett) and his orangutan Dunston enter the hotel to plan on stealing valuable diamonds. Dunston, however, decides to rebel and have some fun when he runs into Kyle.
This movie provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Lord Rutledge.
- Babies Ever After: The final scene shows that Dunston is in Bali and has a baby with his mate.
- Butt Monkey/Chew Toy: Lionel Spaulding is often the victim of pratfalls and other forms of comedic abuse. Lampshaded when LaFarge slaps him:
"Why is everyone in this hotel always slapping me?!"
- Description Cut: "As of this moment, they are both on their best behavior." Cut to Kyle, Brian, and Dunston making a mess of a hotel room they snuck into.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Improvised Weapon: The fight in the kitchen. Among the implements used are a ladle, a whisk, and a 20-pound bag of coffee beans. And a wine bottle, almost:
[Rutledge brandishes a wine bottle]
Grant: NO! NO! That's the Chateau Lafitte.
Rutledge: [looks at it] Good year.
[puts it away, fighting resumes]
- Mistaken for Special Guest: Robert and Mrs. DuBrow think Lord Rutledge is the Le Monde agent, when really it's Lionel Spaulding.
- Missing Mom: Kyle and Brian's mother is implied to have passed away.
- Secret Keeper: Brian becomes this in regards to Kyle's friendship with Dunston.
- Sibling Team: Kyle and Brian team up to pull pranks on hotel guests, apparently often.
- Tropical Epilogue: In Bali.
- Trust Me, I'm a Doctor: When attempting to hide Dunston in a hotel room, the brothers check him in under a name randomly picked from the phone book, and just for good measure, make him a doctor:
Brian: Got it. Lam Binh Ngoc. Doctor Lam Binh Ngoc. If they think you're a doctor, you can get away with anything.
- Verbal Judo: Between Lord Rutledge, Robert, and Mrs. DuBrow:
Lord Rutledge: Well, from the look of the soup, it appears one of the chefs has a severe hair loss problem. Other than that, it was absolutely delightful. Good night.
Mrs. DuBrow: Well? How was his meal?
Mr. Grant: Well, I believe he used the words "absolutely delightful".
- Would Hurt a Child: When Mrs. DuBrow and LaFarge try to shoot at Dunston, Kyle saves Dunston, and DuBrow chases Kyle around a huge cake, but he gets saved by Dunston, who knocks DuBrow into the cake.
- You Are Grounded: After Kyle and Brian pull a prank on hotel guests in the beginning of the movie.