Someone significant is about to enter the scene. He may or may not be a Large Ham
himself, but the character who announces his arrival is, and takes full advantage of that with a suitably over-the-top introduction.
Compare Inadvertent Entrance Cue
and Large Ham Announcer
. Contrast Incoming Ham
, where a Large Ham enters and announces himself
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The guy who announces the incoming guests in Rose of Versailles. Justified, because he has to yell through the entire palace of Versailles.
- Team Rocket in Pokémon introduce themselves with a long speech, much posing and often SFX backgrounds.
- Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
- Kenichi's father uses this with his shotgun, Sebastian. He presses a button, and the gun starts sliding slowly out of a hidden panel in the wall, while he yells:
- Also, Nijima. He's the one who coined the term "History's Strongest Disciple", a claim Kenichi adopted for when he needs a good boast.
- In On the Origin of PCs, a prequel book for The Order of the Stick, Elan is quite the Hammy Herald for his liege, Sir François the Paladin. Including when it's wholly inapropriate, like while entering a Bad-Guy Bar.
Behold, wretched hive of scum and villainy
! The noble Sir François is here!
Your days of seedy backroom dealings and poor personnal hygiene are at an end, for he is here to wash this corrupt city clean!
He is much like a giant scrub in that respect. He also has bristles — again, like a scrub brush.
However, he is not easily held in one's hand and used to scrub cutlery, so that's one way he is different. I'm sure I cant think of other ways. Sir François:
Um, Elan? Elan:
Yes, oh vanquisher of unpleasantness? Sir François:
Yeah, see, the thing is that this was supposed to be a low-profile visit. Elan:
Oh! I can fix that!
Attention, scum and villainy! If at all possible, please ignore the dashing and righteous Sir François as he goes about his business of making a few Gather Information checks regarding your illicit activities, to better shut them down at a later date.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- William's friend Geoffrey in A Knight's Tale. He whips the crowd into a frenzy for the pseudo-knight to do his thing. Chaucer, that's it — Geoffrey Chaucer.
- In Spider-Man, the wrestling announcer decides that Peter's stage name isn't cool enough and announces him dramatically as "the amazing SPIDER-MAN"! Naturally, he's played by Bruce Campbell.
- The introduction of a star in All That Jazz.
O'Connor Flood: The word superstar is greatly overused in this business. But for my next guest, the word superstar is totally inadequate. [snip] I feel humbled in his presence. From deep, deep in here, ladies and gentlemen, let me lay on you... A great entertainer. A great humanitarian. And my dearest, dearest friend for 20 years.
- Davy Jones' introduction of the Kraken in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
- Mad Max: "Greetings from the Humongous! The Lord Humongous! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah!"
- In TRON: Legacy, Jarvis's speech introducing Clu to the light cycle arena.
Jarvis: And who best to battle this singular opponent? Perhaps one who has some experience in these matters? Oh yes indeed, programs! Your liberator! Your luminary! Your leader and beacon! The one who vanquished the tyranny of the user those many cycles before... Cllluuuuuuuuuu!
- The tournament announcer in The Wizard.
"Super! Mario Brothers! THREEEEEEEE!"
- The bit in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets where everybody starts to think that Harry is the descendant of Salazar Slytherin, so Fred and George start marching in front of Harry and crying out, "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin! Seriously evil wizard coming through!" and stuff like that, in order to mock the notion.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus. An announcer at a nightclub introduces the next act.
Kenny Lust: You know, once in a while it is my pleasure, and my privilege, to welcome here at the Refreshment Room, some of the truly great international artists of our time. And tonight we have one such artist. Ladies and gentlemen, someone whom I've always personally admired, perhaps more deeply, more strongly, more abjectly than ever before. A man, well more than a man, a god, a great god, whose personality is so totally and utterly wonderful my feeble words of welcome sound wretchedly and pathetically inadequate. Someone whose boots I would gladly lick clean until holes wore through my tongue, a man who is so totally and utterly wonderful, that I would rather be sealed in a pit of my own filth, than dare tread on the same stage with him. Ladies and gentlemen, the incomparably superior human being, Harry Fink!
Club worker: He can't come!
Kenny Lust: Never mind. He's not all he's cracked up to be.
- Happens several times in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, usually in the form of Jii or Ryuunosuke giving a long-winded and boastful description of their Lord Takeru, only for Takeru to cut them off. Happens again when Kaoru receives the same treatment from her retainer, Tanba.
- Forever Knight. When LaCroix takes over vampire-hangout and gothic nightclub "The Raven", he decides to give it a more human look with a dose of Large Ham and blatant Fanservice.
LaCroix: It's time to peel away the layers and reveal our inner selves. Yes, it's Amateur Night at the Raven, and tonight our amateurs will reveal their inner selves by GETTING NAKED!
- One of Ray Stevens' novelty song openings: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, it is indeed a great pleasure to introduce to you — held over three weeks and getting rave reviews — BRIDGET....THE MIDGET... the Queen of the Blues! Woooooo!"
- Plenty of ring announcers, Michael Buffer and Lilian Garcia, especially.
- The incredibly hammy Alberto Del Rio gets an even hammier introduction courtesy of his personal ring announcer, Ricardo Rodriguez.
- Theodore Long was this for Rodney Mack, Mark Henry, Jazz and Mark Jindrak. The two names in the middle were pretty hammy themselves but in general, the purpose of an announcer in wrestling is to provide ham to one who lacks it.
- Paul Bearer acted as this for The Undertaker.
- Armando, Alejandro, Estrada! The unsung hero (or not) who helped Umaga get over. WWE thought it worked too well and dropped him.
- Joel Gertner was this for The Dudley Boys in ECW.
- Dr. Harvey Wippleman was this for Kamala in WWE in 1992.
- Jim Cornette was this for The Midnight Express. At NWA WrestleWar 90, for example:
"Please welcome the Kings of the Ring, the Gangster of Lovenote and the Sultan of Swingnote , Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan, the Midnight Express!"
- Paul Heyman will serve up a few meals worth of ham when he gets down to it.
- On Sesame Street, this applies to Norm, herald to the Grand High Triangle Lover.