Wrestling: Kaiju Big Battel
Kaiju Big Battel
) is a story of the constant "fighto" between good and evil, played out before live studio audiences.
Constant battels by giant batteling monsters threatened the safety and happiness of the Earth. To protect our way of life, the Kaiju Regulatory Committee, KRC, created the Big Battel, to contain the struggle between good and evil and protect the public. And to allow them to watch for a reasonable price. The KRC is led by a mysterious Commissioner, and its events are overseen by a to-scale referee, Referee Jingi. Ringside commentary is provided by Louden Noxious, who is exactly what his name suggests.
in the battel include American Beetle, Los Plantanos (the plantain twins), Dusto Bunny, Robox the mighty cardboard robot, and Hero Intern. The organization's chief Heel
is Dr. Cube, whose "posse" seeks to destroy civilization as we know it. His minions include The Grudyin and Hell Monkey (the Apes of Wrath), Silver Potato, Superdimensional Slug 1 (SDS-1), and Gomi-man, the radioactive monster formed from New Jersey's trash. A few rogues, like Team Space Bug (led by Uchu Chu) and Kung-Fu Chicken Noodle make trouble for everyone else.
Now, without the Kayfabe
. Kaiju Big Battel is an affectionate parody of Professional Wrestling
monster movies. Colorful characters in foam rubber suits square off in model cityscapes in venues like anime conventions and arthouse theaters. Established in 1996. A TV pilot for G4 has been performed and shot, but not yet aired or picked up.
As of this year, there have been sweeping changes throughout the KBB. With newcomers, old friends and foes, and sweeping changes, the Big Battel shall be changed for the better..or the worse, all depending.
A common user of Japanese Media Tropes
and Professional Wrestling
tropes, with a wink, a nod, and a laugh each time.
The official site can be found here
"Giant City-Crushing Tropes":
- Abnormal Ammo - Goldenrod had a gun that shot pollen, causing her targets to sneeze.
- All American Face - American Beetle
- Alliterative Name - Pablo Plantain and Pedro Plantain
- Animesque - Has its own manga on the official site
- Anti-Hero - Kung Fu Chicken Noodle, who is basically the only Rogue who can be described as "an alright dude, all told". Eventually he officially becomes a Kaiju hero.
- Badass Biker - Slo Feng is an avid biker and is very protective of his hog, "Slepnir". Force Trooper Robo was once a motorcycle courier, as well.
- Big Bad - Cube
- Big Eater - Sky Deviler is always hungry. Vegetius is cool so long as it is allowed to eat.
- Blood Knight - Midori no Kaiju killed all life on Mars and then came to Earth looking for more cities to destroy.
- Bounty Hunter: Goldenrod was said to be similar to one. She worked for the heroes.
- Combat Commentator - Louden and his sidekick, The Beav.
- Crossover - Call-Me-Kevin, Unibouzu and D.W. Cycloptopuss III teamed up as the Sea Amigos for the CHIKARA King of Trios 2008 tournament in a losing effort to the Order of the Neo-Solar Temple (UltraMantis Black, Crossbones and Hydra). More significantly, Dr. Cube was the former holder of the Eye of Tyr, and UMB sent Chris Hero to work for Cube in exchange for the Eye, which led to the formation of the BDK at the end of the 2009 Season Finale Three-Fisted Tales.
- Dance Battler - The disco-themed Super Wrong
- Disco Dan - Played around with; Super Wrong has a disco theme, but he's actually from the future where disco sees a huge resurgence.
- Driven to Suicide - This is Kung Fu Chicken Noodle's backstory. Long story short it turned him into a guy with a soup can for a body.
- Dumb Muscle - Midori and Sky Deviler
- Easily Distracted Referee
- Jingi misses a lot.
- This is subverted in the manga; after Dr. Cube wins a championship, he gets a call from Jingi, who tells him that after reviewing tape of the title fight he noticed Cube used some kind of nerve gas when he wasn't paying attention and the match has been declared a draw.
- Egyptian Mythology - Sekhmet, who once teamed with CHIKARA's the Osirian Portal.
- Elite Mooks - Dr. Cube has a handful of Super Minions, minions who have been subjected to his genetic experiments, including Super Minion #96 (who has cinderblocks for hands and feet and wears a stone helmet) and Craw (who has an iron jaw and a giant crayfish claw). Later these would be replaced by Cube's top goons Haack, Slaash, and #13.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods - D.W. Cycloptopuss III
- Everything's Worse with Bees - Dai Hachi Hachi
- Evil Counterpart - The CIA Plantains, evil bananas grown by the CIA to stop Los Plantanos from overthrowing the sock puppet ruler of their homeland. This is actually Good Counterpart though, as the CIA Plantains showed up in Big Battel first to ruin Lor Plantanos's reputation.
- Evil Is Hammy - Dr. Cube has a tendency to overact and overreact.
- Evil Mentor: Unibouzu to Call-Me-Kevin
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin - Midori no Kaiju is a giant green monster whose name means "giant green monster."
- Face-Heel Turn
- Silver Potato murdered Pablo of Los Plantanos, and joined Dr Cube's Posse. Pedro took revenge for his brother, but then Cube brought Pablo back as a zombie.
- It's been discovered via news post that Silver Potato is still alive somewhere out there, and the one who killed Pablo was a fake. To add further, Pablo went through stem cell surgery and is now back to his fun loving self
- Fake Ultimate Hero - Super Wrong may be the dance sensation that's sweeping the nation, but his name says it all.
- The Giant - Napalean, the single largest kaiju in competition. Every faction has its own Giant type, though: in addition to Napalean of Dr. Cube's Posse, Mota Naru is the certified "Big Guy" of Team Space Bug, Slo Feng is the Heroes' version, and Vegetius fills the role for the Rogues.
- Good Feels Good - Slo Feng originally only cared about becoming famous before he learned to fight for good.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars - Like Dr. Doom, Dr. Cube wears a mask to cover his horribly mangled face.
- Gotta Kill Em All - Muffura was out to kill all kaiju.
- Gratuitous English - Included for authenticity, along with gratuitous Japanese and Spanish.
- Healing Factor - If given enough time, Dino Kang Jr. can regrow limbs.
- Hero with Bad Publicity - French Toast is universally hated outside of France but remains a hero anyway.
- Hired Guns - Giii the Space Pirate will work for anyone who offers him enough money.
- Hollywood Nerd - Prior to being turned into a monster, Unibouzu was a tubby, pimple-faced loser who snorted when he laughed.
- Hollywood Satanism - Hell Monkey's height AND weight are both listed as "666 bananas stacked end to end."
- I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday - In the manga, Dr. Cube has a flashback, and narrates that "I remember it as if it were a flashback..."
- Inherited Illiteracy Title - Most of the text in general tends to be poorly spelled or grammatically off.
- Jobber: Call-Me-Kevin.
- Kill All Humans: Or kill all Americans, as the sea creatures decided they were the most annoying. They sent D.W. Cycloptopuss III to the surface world to devise a plan to do so but he actually doesn't care and just wants to party.
- Killed Off for Real - The official site actually has a "Graveyard" in its character bio section. Not included there due to dying later and the site never really updating the bios are Sky Deviler and Silver Potato, probably the biggest characters to get killed off forever.
- Killer Gorilla - Grudyin, being part gorilla.
- LEGO Genetics - Grudyin was created from gorilla and Angler fish DNA
- Machete Mayhem - How Silver Potato operates
- Mad Scientist - Cube again.
- Maniac Monkeys- Hell Monkey, of course.
- Mix-and-Match Critters - Vegetius is a bird turtle. Turtle as in flippers.
- Mooks: Dr. Cube's Minions and Team Space Bug's Swarm.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate - Dr. Cube, unlike most examples, is an actual surgeon. And, you know, super evil.
- Multiarmed And Dangerous: Yarsminko and Mung Wun of Team Space Bug
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast - Sun Buster, though he is a hero.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed - According to his official bio, Sentai Jin was once a severely handicapped physics genius named Steven Nawt Walking.
- Nuclear Nasty - Unibouzu got his powers when he was bitten by a radioactive sea urchin
- Paper-Thin Disguise - Although the CIA Plantains are yellow, wear tracksuits, have "CIA" stamped on their backs, and are obviously bananas, it took Louden and Beav an embarrassingly long time to tell them apart from the real deal, just because they have the same faces as Pablo and Pedro
- Poisonous Person - Gomi-man, who is a moving pile of toxic trash
- Punch Clock Villain - Dino Kang Jr. is a little too lazy to be too much trouble on his own.
- Punny Name - A few kaiju have names that are puns in Japanese — most notably Shroomatango, "matango" being Japanese for "mushroom".
- Retraux - The manga, which is drawn in a style characteristic of the late 70s and specifically resembles early Kinnikuman. Which, hey, was originally about fighting giant monsters before a Genre Shift to pro wrestling.
- Rouge Angles of Satin - Apart from the obvious stuff like "battel" and "fighto", the word "rogue" is more often than not spelled "rouge". Goldenrod is described as a "Rouge bounty hunter of monsters."
- Sea Monster: Unibouzu, a giant urchin. Call-Me-Kevin, an alien who landed in the ocean.
- Series Mascot - Dr. Cube, though he eventually dies
- Size Shifter
- Virtually every fighter has this ability (specifically, growing to giant size); notable exceptions are Napalean, who is always giant, and Dr. Cube, who is (almost) always human sized.
- Considering fighting giant monsters like Sky Deviler and Napalean is part of the job description, anyone who does not have this ability innately needs to have some way of achieving the same end. As such, size shifting technology was developed by Robo Dynamics, and then leaked to everyone else after Shadow Trooper Robo went evil.
- Super Spit - Mung Wun, the Thai Fly's digestive juices. Napalean's puts people to sleep, as she is part poppy.
- Surfer Dude - Tadd Bradley, Hawaiian Paddler. He actually uses his board in most of his finishers.
- Technical Pacifist: Anna Dramina only fights if attacked first.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Midori no Kaiju and Dr. Cube are on the same team but do not get along.
- Too Serve Man: Unibouzu likes eating people.
- Truce Zone - the local bowling alley, for whatever reason.
- Unsound Effect - At one point in the manga, a Groin Attack evidently makes the sound "CROTCH!"
- We Can Rebuild Him - And they did, in the cases of Sentai Jin and the Trooper Robos.
- When Trees Attack - ...you get Marutambo, a former Minion of Dr. Cube turned into an evil tree man "whose wood is so hard that it is immune to mankind's hottest blowtorches."
- Wrestling Monster
- They're mundane here, with those who don't count being the standouts. Chris Hero hates monsters!
- In fact, Big Battel does not actively search out wrestlers nor does it regularly invite them. Every once and while though, one or two will show up, such as Munenori Sawa or Kota Ibushi from Pro Wrestling Zero 1 and Dramatic Dream Team.