"Cause I love it loud
I wanna hear it loud
Right between the eyes
Cause I love it loud
I wanna hear it loud
Don't want no compromise"
"Stitch me up doc, I got a match tonight!"
(1960-2009) was an American amateur and Professional Wrestler
from Lakewood, CO best known for his work in Mid-South, WCW
and, especially, for All Japan Pro Wrestling
from the 1980s into the 21st Century. He debuted in 1982 for Mid-South, being billed from Norman, OK, and teamed with Ted DiBiase
against Eddie Gilbert
and the Nightmare (Randy Culley, aka Moondog Rex
/the first Demolition Smash
). Williams won the renamed UWF's World Heavyweight Title
. He was included when National Wrestling Alliance
promoter Jim Crockett bought out the UWF in 1987. He turned Heel
and joined Kevin Sullivan
's Jerk Jock Power Stable
the Varsity Club in late 1988. After the group disbanded, he went over to Japan, where he would achieve his greatest success. He would hold the All Japan Triple Crown Heavyweight Title
once and the All Japan World Tag Team Title
8 times, 5x with Terry Gordy, 1 w/Vader
, 1x with Gary Albright and 1x w/Johnny Ace (John Laurinaitis)
. In America, he and Gordy would hold the WCW World Tag Team Titles
in 1992. He also competed for ECW
. He died of esophageal cancer in 2009. He was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Hall of Fame in 2011.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Stitch me up, doc, I got a trope tonight":
- Arch-Enemy: The Road Warriors, the Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott), Stan Hansen
- Awesome McCool Name/Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Autobiography: 2007's How Dr. Death Became Dr. Life.
- Badass/Determinator: He was a standard-bearer for toughness in professional wrestling. His Red Baron "Dr. Death" came from his days as a champion high school wrestler in Norman, OK. He had been busted open in a match, but came back the next night wearing a hockey mask, which prompted a local sportswriter to call him "Dr. Death." The quote above is something he himself said after he got busted open during an afternoon show.
- Bash Brothers: Ted DiBiase, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Mike Rotunda, Kevin Sullivan, Terry "Bamm Bamm" Gordy, Gary Albright, Richard Slinger
- Charles Atlas Superpower/Offscreen Moment of Awesome: He once rescued a guy who was trapped in a burning car by pulling the door right off of the car.
- Collegiate American Football: He was an All-American at the University of Oklahoma.
- Defeating the Undefeatable: He went from 1987 to 1997 without ever getting pinned in the U.S., until ECW World Heavyweight Champion Raven pinned him following Stevie Richards' interference at ECW Crossing the Line Again, February 1, 1997.
- Downer Ending: His death of cancer at 49.
- Fan Nickname: "Doc"
- Finishing Move: Oklahoma Stampede (Running Powerslam), Doctor Bomb
- Genius Bruiser: He had a Bachelor of Science degree in Health and Recreation.
- Hammy Herald: He faced Bam Bam Bigelow at the UWF (Herb Abrams)'s only PPV, Beach Brawl, in the tournament final for the UWF SportsChannel Television Championship. Bigelow got a normal introduction (weight, hometown, name.) Doc, on the other hand, got this, which presumably crushed the dreams of any Bigelow fans watching that night.
"And his opponent, the roughest, toughest man in wrestling today, 'Dr. Death' Steve Williams. Coming down the aisle right now, getting cheered on by the crowd, 285-pounder from Lakewood, Colorado, a former football star, tremendous athlete, here vying for that championship belt to become the first-ever UWF Champion, and here they're squaring off in the middle of the ring, 'Dr. Death' and Bam Bam Bigelow."
- In the Hood: As seen above.
- The Mentor: To "Fear Factor" PJ Friedmannote in MLW in 2003, until the Extreme Horsemen (C.W. Anderson and Simon Diamond) injured Friedman and put him out of action. This led to Doc enlisting the help of D-Lo Brown and the Sandman in attempting to take the Extreme Horsemen's MLW Global Tag Team Crown Championships, without success.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate
- Power Stable:
- (in Mid-South/UWF): Devastation Inc.
- The Varsity Club
- (in All Japan): The Triangle of Power (with Gary Albright and the Lacrosse ["Jungle" Jim Steele])
- Team 2000
- Black-Ship (with Mike Drond [Rotunda], the Lacrosse, Mike Burton [Bart Gunn], George Hines [Jackie Fulton] and Johnny Smith).
- Rated M for Manly
- Real Song Theme Tune: KISS's "I Love It Loud," which he used in All Japan, ECW and MLW in 2003.
- Tag Team: The Miracle-Violence Connection, with Gordy