Wrestling: Jim Fullington
The originator of the
(Apart from, y'know, the Singaporeans.)
"Pop one open, light one up and let's get EXTREME!"EXIT LIIIIIIIIIIIGHT, ENTER NIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT
...sorry, force of habit.
A former International Wrestling Cartel Champion, Jim Fullington
(b. 1963) is a retired Americannote Professional Wrestler
known as The Sandman
. He is best known for his time in ECW
, where he was a 5x NWA ECW Heavyweight/ECW World Heavyweight Champion
and a 1x ECW World Tag Team Champion
with 2 Cold Scorpio
. He started his career in 1989 in the Philadelphia
area as Mr. Sandman
doing a surfer gimmick, primarily in the Tri-State Wrestling Alliance
. He also had a brief, unsuccessful run in WCW
in 1999 as Hak
. He has since had runs with many promotions, including MLW
, a few different ones in TNA
and in WWE
as part of WWECW. He made his PPV debut in the semi-main event Three-Way-Dance
against Terry Funk
and "Big Stevie Cool" (Stevie Richards)
at ECW's first PPV, ECW Barely Legal
, on April 13, 1997.The Other Wiki
has a good writeup about his career.
Not to be confused with the mythological character
(we think), the Neil Gaiman comic
, or the boxer
"These tropes are politically incorrect, and damn proud of it!":
- Arch-Enemy: Tommy Cairo, Tommy Dreamer, Cactus Jack, Shane Douglas, Mikey Whipwreck, Sabu, Justin Credible, Rhino.
- Most of all, Raven, who, in 1996, turned Sandman's wife Lori and then 7-year-old son Tyler against him.
- Bash Brothers: 2 Cold Scorpio, Tommy Dreamer, Little Spike Dudley, Terry Funk
- Beergasm: Chugs on his way to the ring. Has also shown up and wrestled after getting drunk beforehand. Among his other enthusiasms are:
- Can-Crushing Cranium: Would bust himself open before he even got to the ring by smashing beer cans against his head.
- Drunken Master: He would drink beer on his way to the ring and sometimes even during the matches. It also led to the names of some of his big moves. See below.
- He showed up for a match held by the IPW promotion in Florida without his trademark beergut, and he actually looked emaciated and unhealthy as a result.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Called out for a beer after The Dudley Boys had defeated he and Dreamer in the main event of ECW One Night Stand 2005. He finally got it, courtesy of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin …who was clearly, clearly drunk off his ass himself. Hilarity ensued.
- Smoking Is Cool: Oh, almost forgot: Along with drinking on his way to the ring, he'd also smoke. No milk and vitamins for him.
- Big Damn Heroes: This is usually his role at Shane Douglas' Extreme Rising shows, running in to make the save for the Faces by caning their opponents.
- Blood Knight: As Paul Heyman said on the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD:
"Here was just a tough guy looking for a fight. And the fans loved him."
- The Cameo: In what would later be revealed to be the first example of WWE working with ECW, Sandman got to stand up and spit beer in Savio Vega's face during his Caribbean strap match against Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw at WWF in Your House 10: Mind Games, September 22, 1996, which was held in Philadelphia.
- Carry a Big Stick/Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: Singapore canes are his Weapon of Choice.
- Catch Phrase: Would start promos with a loud "YOOOOO!'"
- Combat Pragmatist: What was commonplace in ECW had a rule against it in WWE, not like he followed too many of the rules anyway.
- Content Warnings: The back of the T-shirt in the page photo has the following warning:
"PARENTAL WARNING: Sandman Has Been Known To Promote Smoking, Drinking And Ass Kicking. Keep Away From Children."
- Crowd Song: The crowd would sing along with "Enter Sandman" during his entrance. During the actual match, they'd chant, "Fuck em up Sandman fuck em up!" or sometimes "Sandman's gonna kill you! Sandman's gonna kill you!"
- Early Installment Weirdness: His Surfer Dude gimmick.
- Expy: Sandman's badass, beer-drinking brawler character can be traced back to Dick The Bruiser and the The Crusher.
- Finishing Move: Piledriver, Bitchin' Legdrop, DDT, White Russian Legsweep, Heinekenrana, Rolling Rock Senton.
- Garbage Wrestler: To the point that, when he actually would pull off regular wrestling moves, and do them well, it stood out.
- Hidden Depths: The body of a sex offender powered by the brain of a Rhodes scholar. Something he has in common with James Mitchell, according to the documentary Forever Hardcore.
"Sandman and I would often hole up in a room, and people would think we were probably up to all sorts of debauchery, but we really weren't...So instead of screwing rats and shooting drugs
like everybody probably assumed we were doing, a night of me and Sandman going was, (raspy shouting)
"YO! RED GUY! I WANT YA TO THINK OF A COUNTRY BELOW THE 38TH PARALLEL, AND IT'S A DICTATORSHIP!" Czechoslovakia. "PURR-FECT!! HOW'D YA KNOW THAT?! NOW, WHAT WAS THE DICTATOR'S NAME?" Sit up and play trivia all night."
- I Approved This Message: In 2006, WWE renamed their Taboo Tuesday PPV, where fans would get to vote online on who they wanted in matches and/or what kinds of matches would be on the show, Cyber Sunday. The Sandman was one of the three potential opponents, along with Chris Benoit and Kane (who was the winner of the vote, but not the match), for Umaga. The Sandman cut a promo urging the fans to vote for him. As this was a mid-term election year, he ended his promo with, "I'm the Sandman, and I approved this message."
- Jerkass: In his feud with Peaches (his Real Life wife Lori) in 1994.
- Leitmotif: Metallica's "Enter Sandman", often doubling as a Crowd Song.
- Nineties Anti-Hero: To the point that some people thought Austin was ripping him off by cursing and drinking beer. Which becomes even funnier when people who hadn't seen the Sandman in the original ECW wondered if he was ripping off Austin! Of course, as beer-drinking brawlers, they were both following in the tradition of Dick the Bruiser and the Crusher.
- Pajama Clad Hero: Makes sense, since he's the Sandman.
- Power Stable:
- (in NWA New Jersey): Hot Stuff International
- (in TNA in 2003): Extreme Revolution
- (in XPW): The Enterprise
- (in WEW, the successor to FMW): Fuyuki's Army
- (in WWECW): The ECW Originals
- (in TNA)
- Real Song Theme Tune: Pre-"Enter Sandman", of course.
- Red Baron: "The Hardcore Icon", "Hak" (which is his real life longtime nickname).
- Salt and Pepper: With 2 Cold Scorpio
- Squash Match: Pinned Chad Austin in 9 seconds at ECW's March 5, 1994 show.
- Flattened the Zombie on the first episode of WWECW.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Pants: Wrestled in American flag colored pants for a time. Joey Styles called him a "disgrace to the American flag."
- Would Hit a Girl: Kelly Kelly, of all people.
- Wrestling Doesn't Pay: A wrestling pimp. More noticeable in WCW, amusingly, since the "ultra violence" wasn't as much of a distraction as in, say, ECW, nor was that kind of thing the norm such as in XPW.
- Wrestling Family: Was originally managed by his wife Lori who used the name Peaches. His son Tyler was involved in the feud with Raven in 1996-1997 and tried his hand at wrestling in 2008-2009 as Twisted Sand, but nothing seems to have come from that.
- Wrestling Psychology: An unlikely choice, but he did have his own version. By busting himself open before he got to the ring, it nullified any threats his opponents might make about making him bleed.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle: At ECW's final PPV, Guilty As Charged 2001, he defeated ECW World Heavyweight Champion Steve Corino and Justin Credible in a three-way-dance for the title. Then Rhino came down and issued a challenge. Sandman called for the bell...and Rhino proceeded to squash him for the title.