"You better watch out for the Moondogs
Or you'll meet your maker tonight"
were a Professional Wrestling Tag Team
that started in WWE
before making its home in Memphis. It started in 1981 with Moondog King
(Ed White) and Moondog Rex
(Randy Culley), until White was unable to enter the U.S. from Canada. As a result, they brought in Larry Booker to replace him as Moondog Spot.
They had one run with the WWE World Tag Team Titles
, defeating Rick Martel
and Tony Garea on March 7, 1981 and losing them back on July 21st. Rex and Spot then went down to Memphis, where they became pioneers of hardcore wrestling
, with one wild, vicious brawl after another. Culley went back to WWE in 1987 to create Demolition
, but he had to be replaced because too many of WWE's Northeastern fans recognized him under the face paint. Over time, the team came to include Moondog Spike
(Bill Smithson), Moondog Cujo
(Lanny Kean, aka WWE's Cousin Junior
), Moondog Splat
(Bill White), Moondog Rover
(Paul McKnight) and many others. In total, the Moondogs would hold the USWA World Tag Team Titles
16 times in different combinations. (4x Spot & Spike; 4x Spot & Splat; 2x Spike & Cujo; 2x Spot & Cujo; 3x Spot & Rex; 1x Spot & Rover). Sadly, Spot died of an in-ring heart attack on November 29, 2003. Cujo passed away on January 13, 2009. In 1992, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter
and Pro Wrestling Illustrated
both named the Spot/Cujo-Jerry Lawler/Jeff Jarrett feud "Feud of the Year."
As usual, you can find the basics about the team at The Other Wiki
- Alliterative Name: One of Spot's other identities, Larry Latham.
- Animal Motif: Cats perhaps?
- Arch-Enemy: The Fabulous Ones, Jerry Lawler, Jeff Jarrett; (in SMW): the Bruise Brothers (Ron and Don Harris)
- Ax-Crazy: In Memphis.
- Badass Mustache: King
- Beards Of Evil
- Blond Guys Are Evil: All of them except Rex.
- Canada, Eh?: King
- Deep South: Spot
- Finishing Move: Backbreaker with top-rope elbow drop, which would become the finisher for Demolition.
- Food Fight: In the Concession Stand Brawls in Memphis.
- Garbage Wrestlers: They were absolutely this in Memphis.
- Implied Death Threat: On the January 18, 1992, episode of USWA Championship Wrestling, their manager Richard Lee brought a chair with him that read "RIP JEFF JARRETT.''
- Improbable Weapon User: Bones.
- Mad Eyes: The music video for them that aired on Memphis TV on August 6, 1983, set to a theme by manager Richard Lee, mentioned "the madness in their eyes."
- Nice Hat: Rex as Sailor White
- Oral Fixation: They would carry chewed up bones to the ring.
- Parts Unknown: They were billed from there.
- Power Stable:
- Ring Oldies: In the 1990s and beyond.
- Squash Match: Many.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Moondog Spot replaced Moondog King in the WWWF when he was denied re-entry to the U.S. from Canada in 1981 after winning the Tag Team Championship with partner Moondog Rex.
- Tuckerization: The Moondogs were named for "Moondog" Lonnie Mayne.
- We Have Many Names: Randy Colley/Moondog Rex ALONE is this. He was Demolition Smash, Deadeye Dick, Detroit Demolition, Assassin #3, Assassin #2, the Nightmare and the Black Scorpion.
- Ed White/Moondog King was also Sailor White, Big John Strongbo, Sailor Moondog White, Knuckles McKnight, the Wharf Rat and the Canadian Hit Man.
- Larry Booker/Moondog Spot was also Larry Latham.
- Lanny Kean/Moondog Cujo was also Cousin Junior, Bloody Ox Brody, Big Daddy Cyrus and King Harley Hogg.
- Bill Smithson/Moondog Spike was Hollywood Hippie in Tony Rumble's New England promotion ICW/IWCCW.
- Bill White/Moondog Splat was also Giant Goliath and Super Moondog.
- Wild Hair: Not just on top of their heads but on their faces too.