Wrestling: The Fabulous Ones
L-R: Stan Lane, Steve KeirnSteve Keirn
and Stan Lane
were a Professional Wrestling Tag Team
as The Fabulous Ones
from 1982 to 1987. The team was put together, in the storyline, by Memphis legend "The Fabulous One" Jackie Fargo
, in response to manager "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart's attempt at pushing his team of Troy Graham and Porkchop Cash under that name. The team was Memphis' initial response to the rise of MTV
, and were introduced through a series of music video-style vignettes, a technique which continues to this day. Along with Memphis, they also competed in the AWA
, Florida and World Class in Dallas. When NWA
promoter Jim Crockett closed down the Florida territory, manager Jim Cornette
took Lane as Bobby Eaton's replacement tag team partner in The Midnight Express
after "Loverboy" Dennis Condrey quit without really giving notice. They were 1x USWA World Tag Team Champions
. They have gone on to do some teaming in the Florida indies in the 21st Century. Today, Lane is retired and still does the occasional reunion match with other members of the Midnight Express. Keirn continued in the Florida independents throughout the 1990s and early 2000s and also ran a wrestling school, producing, among others, Mike Awesome
and Dennis "Phineas I. Godwinn"/"Mideon" Knight
, and also ran WWE's developmental promotion Florida Championship Wrestling for a time.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"The Fabulous Tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: The Sheepherders, the PYT Express (Koko B Ware and Norvel Austin), The Moondogs
- Badass Beards/Badass Mustaches
- Badass Teacher: Keirn
- Blond Guys Are Evil: As heels.
- Bowties Are Cool
- Breakup Breakout: Lane went on to national-level success with Bobby Eaton as the Midnight Express, and later had success in SMW. Keirn went on to WWE in 1991, first becoming Skinner, the wrestling alligator hunter and was briefly the second evil Doink the Clown. Keirn and Bobby Eaton also had a brief, unsuccessful run in WCW in 1994 as Bad Attitude.
- Expy: Of the Fabulous Fargos
- I Know Karate: Stan.
- Mr. Fanservice: This was a BIG part of their act.
- The Rock N Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson) were originally created as a B Show replacement team for the Fabs, with the difference being that the RNRs were aimed toward teen girls with a safe, Tiger Beat-style image, while the Fabs were marketed toward adult women as Playgirl-style sex symbols.
- Nice Hat: Both wore top hats in the team's early days.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Sharp Dressed Men: Well, yes. They used the Trope Namer for entrance music, after all.
- Tag Team
- Wrestling Family: Well, almost. Keirn's son Cory had three matches in FCW in 2007 and left wrestling right after.