All-Knowing Singing Narrator
In many musicals, there is a character who acts as the narrator, knowing everything about everyone's business despite the fact that he often is a character in the story himself, and shouldn't really be able to know this.
See also Greek Chorus
, Fourth Wall Observer
Film - Animated
Film - Live Action
- Clopin in the Disney version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. He establishes this in the first five minutes of the film, considering he opens it with the story of how Frollo killed Quasimodo's mother and 'adopted' Quasi - despite the fact that he wasn't even there at the time, and the two men (or possibly more, if you count the staring masonry) who were certainly wouldn't have told anyone about what happened.
- Gringoire in the French rock opera.
- Alan-a-Dale in the Disney Robin Hood.
- A book of Greek Mythology featured a script-version of the story of Achilles. "Chorus" is described as the "Narrator who knows everything".
- Used (and Lampshaded) in "The Day They Shot Agarn" episode of F Troop.
- Doctor Who: 'The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon' in "The Gunfighters".