A Road Trip
comedy written by John Hughes
and directed by Peter Faiman
A working-class stiff named Dutch (Ed O'Neill) is asked by a divorcee, Natalie, his new girlfriend (Jo Beth Williams
) to pick up her troubled son Doyle (Ethan Embry
, then known as Ethan Randall, his birth name) from a special school and take him home for Thanksgiving. Upon arriving at his prep school, Dutch quickly finds that Doyle is not
a nice kid and has unwavering faith (or perhaps it's just stubbornness) that his father will show up, but sticks it out for his girlfriend's sake. Hilary Ensues
.Needs Wiki Magic Love
- Accidental Misnaming: Dutch continually misnames Doyle; Doyle stops correcting him after a bit.
- Accidental Pervert: Doyle falls asleep on Brock's boobs.
- Black Comedy: The ending.
- Gilligan Cut: Doyle insists that he's not going anywhere with Dutch... cut to his being hauled out of the school tied up and gagged with a pair of underwear in his mouth.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Two of 'em, who pick up Dutch and Doyle to drive them closer. Subverted when they take advantage of Doyle's young, inquisitive nature to rob Dutch while he's sleeping, revealing their nature as a couple of hustlers. Dutch sees right their act and tells Doyle one morning at breakfast... just before they drive off with his wallet.
- Heroic BSOD: Doyle, when he finds that not only is his Dad not in London as his Mom and Dutch believe, but he's cheating on his Mom.
- Jerk Ass: Lots of people, but special mention goes to those rent-a-cops at the truck depot. Doyle and Dutch get out of there by pretending to be a schizophrenic killer and his friend.
- Megaton Punch: After the incident with the semi, Doyle picks a fight with Dutch, but with Kung Fu style. Dutch tries to show Doyle how to fight all-American with closed fist and loose stance... he catches on pretty quick. Ow!
- Not so Above It All: The first event that shows this in Doyle is his interest in Dutch's fireworks, which he has to work hard to conceal.
- Especially when the Spinner Dutch hangs on the fence flies off, starts attacking him and ignites his remaining fireworks.
- Maybe the racy playing cards too.
- Also, Dutch talks a lot of game about not caring about Doyle, but when Dutch believes Doyle's been killed in a semi-trailer crash, he shows a lot of concern. Of course then it's revealed that Doyle was pranking Dutch, getting him back for abandoning him on the side of the road a bit before.