A Road Trip comedy written by John Hughes, directed by Peter Faiman and starring Ed O'Neill.As a favor for his new divorcee girlfriend, working-class construction company owner Dutch Dooley offers to pick up her troubled son Doyle from a special school and take him home for Thanksgiving. Upon arriving at his prep school, Dutch quickly finds that Doyle is not a nice kid, and has unwavering faith (or perhaps just stubbornness) that his father will show up. Dutch quickly gives up on trying to ingratiate himself to the kid, but sticks it out for his girlfriend's sake. Hilarity Ensues.Needs Wiki Magic Love !
- Accidental Misnaming: Dutch continually misnames Doyle; Doyle stops correcting him after a bit.
- Accidental Pervert: Doyle falls asleep on Brock's boobs.
- Black Comedy: The ending.
- Chekhov's Gun: Dutch's pinky ring, and the pellet gun he confiscates from Doyle.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Dutch decides to pit his self-described "good old All-American street fighting" against Doyle's "high brown belt." Doyle gets the better of a couple encounters because Dutch doesn't take him seriously enough. Later Dutch shows him how to form a proper fist when punching.
- Gilligan Cut: Doyle insists that he's not going anywhere with Dutch... cut to his being hauled out of the school tied up and gagged with a pair of underwear in his mouth.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Two of 'em, who pick up Dutch and Doyle when they try hitchhiking. Subverted when they take advantage of Doyle's young, inquisitive nature to rob Dutch while he's sleeping, revealing their nature as a couple of hustlers. Dutch sees right through their act and tells Doyle one morning at breakfast... just before they drive off with his wallet.
- Heroic BSOD: Doyle, when he finds that not only is his Dad not in London as he claimed for his reason for not spending the holiday with Doyle, but he's sleeping with another woman.
- Jerk Ass: The two rent-a-cops at the truck depot. Doyle and Dutch get out of there by pretending to be a schizophrenic killer and his friend.
- The horrible, bitchy old hostess at the fancy restaurant our heroes enter to use the washroom. The couple she was trying to "protect" from Dutch and Doyle are so disgusted by the way she treats them that they immediately end their patronage to help the two out.
- Megaton Punch: After the incident with the semi, Doyle picks a fight with Dutch, but with Kung Fu style. Dutch tries to show Doyle how to fight all-American with closed fist and loose stance... he catches on pretty quick. Ow!
- Not So Above It All:
- The first event that shows this in Doyle is his interest in Dutch's fireworks, which he has to work hard to conceal.
- Also, Dutch talks a lot of game about not caring about Doyle, but when Dutch believes Doyle's been killed in a semi-trailer crash, he shows a lot of concern. Of course then it's revealed that Doyle was pranking Dutch, getting him back for abandoning him on the side of the road a bit before.
- Spoiled Brat: Subverted. Doyle at first appears to be spoiled, but he's actually neglected by his father without realizing it.