Duplicity is a 2009 American film written and directed by Tony Gilroy, and starring Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. The film was released on March 20, 2009.Corporate espionage meets romance.The plot of the film follows Ray Koval, an MI6 agent, and Claire Stenwick, a CIA operative who cooperate in a con poised to undercut a company who has discovered a cure for baldness and sell the formula, running off with the money themselves.
Tropes associated with this work:
- Anachronic Order: We jump from how Ray and Claire first met to the present day, and then back to the other times they've met, and so on.
- The Chessmaster: Ray and Claire think they are, but in reality, it's Howard.
- Con Men Hate Guns - no celebrities were shot in the making of this picture.
- Foreshadowing: During the opening credits, Howard and Dick get into an argument that turns into a fight, and Howard is winning by the time the credits end; over the course of the movie, Howard ends up triumphing over Dick again in a different kind of contest.
- Happily Ever After: Hilariously subverted.Ray: At least we still have each other.Claire: It really is that bad, isn't it?Ray: Kind of, yeah.
- In Medias Res: The story shifting back and forth in time.
- Insistent Terminology: It's a lotion, not a skin cream.
- Mock Guffin: The formula Claire and Ray are trying to steal doesn't exist; Howard only pretended there was one to embarrass Dick and fool Claire and Ray.