A 1991 RoadTripPlot comedy written by Creator/JohnHughes, directed by Peter Faiman, and starring Creator/EdONeill in the title role.
As a favor for his new divorcee girlfriend Natalie ([=JoBeth=] Williams), working-class construction company owner Dutch Dooley offers to pick up her troubled son Doyle (Ethan Embry) from a special school and take him home for Thanksgiving. Upon arriving at his prep school, Dutch quickly finds that Doyle is ''not'' a nice kid, and has unwavering faith (or perhaps just stubbornness) that his father will show up. Dutch quickly gives up on trying to ingratiate himself to the kid, but sticks it out for his girlfriend's sake. HilarityEnsues.
!!Tropes in the film include:
* AccidentalMisnaming: Dutch continually misnames Doyle; Doyle stops correcting him after a bit.
* AccidentalPervert: Doyle falls asleep on Brock's boobs.
* BlackComedy: The film ends with Natalie, Dutch and Doyle at the dinner table about to begin the Thanksgiving feast. [[spoiler:Before they commence, Dutch asks Doyle to retrieve Dutch's coat, as it contains a very special gift for Natalie. As Doyle turns to walk away, Dutch pulls the BB gun Doyle originally shot him with and finally gets his revenge on Doyle by shooting him in the butt.]].
* BreakTheHaughty: Much of the trip consists of Doyle's condescending and entitled worldview failing him repeatedly. Even though he's mellowed a fair bit by that point, what really puts his spoiled nature to rest is spending the night in a homeless shelter with a poor family who lost their livelihood and house, showing him that as bad as he ''thought'' he had it in life, things could be a hell of a lot worse.
* BrokenPedestal: For Doyle, when he finds that [[spoiler: not only is his Dad ''not'' in London as he claimed for his reason for not spending the holiday with Doyle, but he's sleeping with another woman]].
* BunnyEarsPicturePrank: In the movie's poster; see above.
* ChekhovsGun: Dutch's pinky ring, and the pellet gun he confiscates from Doyle.
* GilliganCut: Doyle insists that he's not going anywhere with Dutch... cut to his being hauled out of the school tied up and gagged with a pair of underwear in his mouth.
* GoodOldFisticuffs: Dutch decides to pit his self-described "good old All-American street fighting" against Doyle's "high brown belt." Doyle gets the better of a couple encounters because Dutch doesn't take him seriously enough. Later Dutch shows him how to form a proper fist when punching... [[TemptingFate Then proceeds to stick his chin out and put his hands in his pockets, urging Doyle to take a swing.]]
* GroinAttack: Inflicted on Dutch by Doyle ''twice'' during their first meeting: once via kick and once via BB gun.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: Two of 'em, who pick up Dutch and Doyle when they try hitchhiking. [[spoiler: Subverted when they take advantage of Doyle's [[DistractedByTheSexy young, inquisitive nature]] to rob Dutch while he's sleeping, revealing their nature as a couple of hustlers. Dutch sees right through their act and tells Doyle one morning at breakfast... just before they drive off with his wallet.]]
* IKnowKarate: Doyle proclaims to Dutch that he has a "high brown belt" and proves it.
* InsultBackfire: Dutch goes into some detail about his working-class roots, and how his father and mother both worked long hours on tough jobs to support him. Doyle sneeringly quips [[SarcasmMode "You must be SO proud."]] Dutch's response:
-->'''Dutch:''' [[SincerityMode "...I am."]]
* JerkAss: The two rent-a-cops at the truck depot. [[spoiler: Doyle and Dutch get out of there by pretending to be a schizophrenic killer and his friend.]]
** The horrible, bitchy old hostess at the fancy restaurant our heroes enter to use the washroom. The couple she was trying to "protect" from Dutch and Doyle are so disgusted by the way she treats them that they immediately end their patronage to help the two out.
* KarmicJackpot: Downplayed. The aforementioned homeless family bonds with Dutch and Doyle and drives them back home to Chicago. Once there, Dutch hands the father a business card and promises him a good job with Dutch's construction company.
* MegatonPunch: After [[spoiler: the incident with the semi]], Doyle picks a fight with Dutch, but with Kung Fu style. Dutch tries to show Doyle how to fight all-American with closed fist and loose stance... he catches on pretty quick. Ow!
** The first event that shows this in Doyle is his interest in Dutch's fireworks, which he has to work hard to conceal.
** Also, Dutch talks a lot of game about not caring about Doyle, but when [[spoiler: Dutch believes Doyle's been killed in a semi-trailer crash]], he shows a lot of concern. Of course then it's revealed that [[spoiler: [[JerkAss Doyle was pranking Dutch]], getting him back for abandoning him on the side of the road a bit before.]]
* SelfMadeMan: Dutch has blue-collar sensibilities, but he owns a construction company and is very well-off financially, something that catches Doyle by surprise:
-->'''Dutch:''' "It's a damn sight more than your father gives your mother to live on. Oh, but my money doesn't count in your neck of the woods, does it? Because I ''worked'' for it."
* SpoiledBrat: Subverted. Doyle at first appears to be spoiled, but he's actually neglected by his father without realizing it.