Web Video / Guru Larry and Wez
Two New Media
enthusiasts investigate the various computer-game controversies, video game ventures and digital disasters that you didn't even realize were a thing, with series such as "Games Yanks Can't Wank", a series about games that were only released in the United Kingdom on their beloved home computers and "Fact Hunt", a series that, of course, details various obscure facts about video games, old and new, as we say: But, hello you! This is the page on Guru Larry and Wez, and we welcome you to it!
Originally from ScrewAttack, these two guys from The Midlands
provide voice-over top-10 countdowns related to popular video games, as well as other gaming-related videos. Can be found here
- Acceptable Targets: Peter Molyneux, Tim Langdell, and Ocean Software. Larry will find a way to poke fun at Molyneux in each "Fact Hunt" video, even when he's cutting him some slack by finding something so stupid that it makes him look good in comparison.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Guru Larry is fond of these, dropping a good few of them in the intro most of his videos.
- Badass Baritone: Even if he didn't have his accent, no one would deny that Larry has a killer speaking voice.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Invoked in the intro to "Games Yanks Can't Wank" when the theme song suddenly takes a Shocking Swerve to a darker tone:
Would you like to be my friend
I don't have many friends
- The Cameo:
- Larry likes to start off his videos for real by saying "But... hello you! I'm Guru Larry and I welcome you to Fact Hunt!"
- "I'll get me coat" whenever some particularly horrible wordplay gets a Lame Pun Reaction.
- Cluster F-Bomb:
- Wez does this at the start of "Top Ten Overhyped Shite Games":
Wez: We're not on TV any more, we can say what the fuck we want! Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!
- The "Top 5 Hidden Pissed Off Programmer Rants" sub-series of "Fact Hunt" also contains a fair share of cussing. Take, for example, this rant against software pirates hidden in the code of the Amiga ECS version of Jurassic Park:
"MESSAGE TO FAGSHITE AND PARAPLEGIC AND ALL THE OTHER DICKHEADS! BETTER LUCK THIS TIME! TRY AND REMOVE MORE THAT [sic] 20% OF THE PROTECTION THIS TIME YOU USELESS CUNTS! ISN'T IT TIME YOU STOPPED PULLING YOUR DICKS AND LEFT YOUR BEDROOMS AND GOT A REAL JOB?"
- There are two episodes dedicated to cheat codes and pass codes that contain swearing. The first one, "Top 5 Offensive Cheat Codes", focuses on codes that are deliberately put in by game programmers. The second one, "Top 5 Offensive Passcodes (That all Exist Purely by Chance!)", focuses on codes that are generated due to the games' password systems (as opposed to battery backups and save files) that coincidentally form curse words.
- Comically Missing the Point: On a video riffing on DSP's Christmas special, Guru Larry commented how disgusted he was...because Phil didn't get the real Santa Claus for the video.
- Crossover: Has done several joint reviews with Stuart Ashen in which they look at board games based on video games.
- Curse Cut Short:
- During his retrospective of DuckTales, Larry concedes that the game had a sequel, "but it was a pile of shi-".
- A visual example from Larry's retrospective of Art Alive; one of the pictures Larry draws with the game includes text saying "ART ALIVE IS SH".
- Epic Fail: "5 Hilarious Idiotic Gaming Screw Ups" lists examples from developers, such as a cheat code for Keio Flying Squadron unlocking the full game in the demo, and the DRM for Rainbow Six Vegas 2's digital version being so hard to fix, that not even a clean install could do anything, that Ubisoft was only able to fix it by using a pirated crack of the game as an official patch.
- Everyone Has Standards: At the end of Apaches there's a list of names of real children who died playing on farms, but Larry stops there as he's not sick enough to joke about that.
- Fourth Wall Greeting: A common introduction to his videos.
- Harmless Villain: His friend Ashens kills Itsmyyard on the Top Tens.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The Fact Hunt episode "5 Times Scalpers Totally Screwed Themselves Over" documents how scalpers of things such as the PlayStation 2 and the Super Nintendo Classic Mini were eventually brought down by their own greed.
- Hurricane of Puns: When looking back at previous entries on the Top Tens, in preparation for the number 1, every number comes with a pun.
- Machinima: Larry and Wez created a Wrestling Machinima video, WMW Smackfest!
- Market-Based Title: The Fact Hunt episode "5 Games Renamed for REALLY Stupid Reasons" covers this, from George Lucas forcing Star Fox 64 to be retitled as Lylat Wars in Europe,note to Activision's UK branch renaming the first Tony Hawk's Pro Skater to Tony Hawk's Skateboarding.note
- No Export for You: The point of his shows "Games Yanks Can't Wank" and "Films Yanks Can't Wank", looking at media that was released in the UK but not the USA.
- Nonindicative Name: Larry's internet image is being the one British guy on gaming sites otherwise dominated by Americans. Yet his full name, Larry Bundy Jr., sounds rather stereotypically American to British ears. Furthermore, the addendum to Larry's name is spelled "Jnr" in British English, but he thought the U.S. spelling looked better.
- Older Than They Look: Larry is in his late thirties, but easily looks a decade younger.
- Once per Episode: A potshot at Peter Molyneux is made in every episode, no exceptions... even when they make the exception by finding something even more stupid.
- Precision F-Strike: Wez drops one during "Top Ten Biggest Rip-Offs in Gaming". It's bleeped out, but it's pretty obvious what he's saying.
- Pun: In every episode, at least one is usually horrible. Larry likes to lampshade them with a Beat and a quick "I'll get me coat".
- A Rare Sentence: Larry acknowledges that even he can say something nice about Peter Molyneux at the end of "10 Companies EA Bought, Then DESTROYED!!!" While explaining the circumstances that lead to Electronic Arts acquiring Bullfrog Productions, Larry comments that it was Molyneaux's business savvy that helped fight off EA from acquiring their studios in the first place. When Molyneux left, the company had nobody who could stop them from being bought out.
- Running Gag:
- Larry has referenced the game "Pinball Construction Set" several times in his videos.
- His various pot shots to Peter Molyneux.
- Anytime he speaks the word "Edge", expect a shot at infamous copyright troll Tim Langdell.
- Self-Deprecation: Larry tends to make fun of the fact a lot of his Fact Hunt videos have clickbaity titles, sometimes after making fun of someone else employing the same technique.
Larry: But, Hello you! And I welcome you to Fact Hunt. "Five Purposely Broken, Unbeatable Games by Dickish Developers." Yes, I know it's a convoluted name. You try coming up with a more clickbaity title to describe this episode.
- Shoddy Knockoff Product: He reviewed British games that ripped off famous NES titles.
- Shout-Out: Boggle Flash (Ahhhhh!)
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Several times in "Top Ten Awesome Weapons", during the BFG-9000 segment.