Unleashed is a Death Metal band from Sweden. Formed in 1989, they are one of the most beloved classic death metal bands emerging in the late 80s/early 90s even to this day. They are known for their unique approach to the genre, an example being vocalist Johnny Hedlund using an almost entirely decipherable shout rather than a deep grunt (although it was harder to understand him on their earlier material, possibly due to the production), as well as their emphasis on catchy riffing rather than full-on brutality. That being said, they are still by all means a death metal act and are still a very heavy band. They are also known for incorporating Viking-themed lyrics in their music while still not being viking metal, as well as their lyrics in general being about various topics that range from fun to storytelling, rarely being about gore/death like most bands in their genre.Unleashed are one of death metal's longest-running bands, having released 12 studio albums in their career. They continue to go strong to this day, still touring and making music on a regular basis. In the crowded genre of death metal, Unleashed manages to stand out among the rest, and don't seem to be going away any time soon.
- Where No Life Dwells (1991)
- Shadows in the Deep (1992)
- Across the Open Sea (1993)
- Victory (1995)
- Warrior (1997)
- Hell's Unleashed (2002)
- Sworn Allegiance (2004)
- Midvinterblot (2006)
- Hammer Battalion (2008)
- As Yggdrasil Trembles (2010)
- Odalheim (2012)
- Dawn of the Nine (2015)
Unleashed and their music provide examples of:
- What Could Have Been: Vocalist Johnny Hedlund was going to be involved with Dave Grohl's metal side project Probot, but problems with the media involving Hedlund's accusation of Nazism meant it wasn't going to happen.
- Gorn: They rarely sing songs about death or gore, but being a death metal group, they've unsurprisingly done a couple, the most notable being "Your Head is Mine".
- Long Runner / Long Runner Line Up: They've had the same lineup since 1997. They are also one of the longest running death metal groups, having released 12 albums and still going strong.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Joy in the Sun", an old-school death metal song about....taking a girl on a date in the summer??
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 10, but there's some melodic riffing that lowers it a step or two sometimes.
- Vocal Evolution: After their first few albums, Johnny's vocals began to get easier to understand.
- Horrible Hollywood: Part of the concept behind "Mediawhore".
- Signature Style: Expect the signature shouts of Hedlund, heavy yet melodic riffs, thrashy rhythms, and lyrics involving vikings, media, or whatever the hell else they feel like writing about.
- Heavy Mithril: "Metalheads" and "Death Metal Victory", among a few others.
- X Meets Y: At The Gates meets Deicide.