Literature: The Journey to Atlantis
The Journey to Atlantis
is a fiction novel written by Bryan Miranda
. It was published in 2013, and is available for download via its Amazon page
. It is the first part in the Atlantis series of novels. It is currently available only as a digital download. The genre is Action/Adventure, aimed at young adults. The plot centers around Maximillian White and 11 of his classmates who win a cruise trip to the Galapagos Islands, but end up stranded on a deserted island after their ship sinks in a storm. They appear to be alone on the island and must struggle to survive against fierce wildlife, strange weather patterns, and even psychological attacks from a god masquerading as a beast on the island.
The Journey to Atlantis contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: The father of Stacie. Not only does he beat this character and one's siblings, he's a general asshat as well.
- Afraid of Blood: Mickello gets queasy around human blood. Animal blood doesn't affect him since he hunts for food, but when he is exposed to human, blood, he gets dizzy and almost collapses.
- Alcoholic Parent: The father of Stacie.
- Big Bad: Most of the violent "natural" things that happen to the characters are actually the result of the mischievous beast-god Loki.
- Big Good: Gaia acts as the Big Good, giving orders to Luna and Sol to protect the teens so they don't die.
- Conveniently Orphaned: One of the characters is this. It is Mickello, whose dad died in the plane crash that landed Mickello on the island, and whose mother apparently has no idea what the hell happened to him.
- Divine Intervention: Luna and Sol frequently assist the characters on the island when they are in dangerous situations. They stop a snowstorm from becoming deadly, cause rain to get them to focus, and even use a thunderbolt to kill a pack of wolves that would have otherwise killed some of them.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Max has several of these. Two of them stand out. Before getting stranded on the island, he (and Stacie) both dream about being on a certain beach. After the ship sinks and they reach the island, they soon discover the exact beach that was in the their dreams. Another time is when he dreams about Luna and Sol, although he doesn't know who they are. Despite this, he later sees obelisks on the island that have depictions of them, but still doesn't see that what they did was Divine Intervention.
- The Hero: Max.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: This is basically Max's reason for most of what he does. Although it's not all hinged on it, it's the reason he goes to such lengths to appear to be The Hero.
- I Was Having Such a Nice Dream: Max and Stacie are both dreaming about being in each other's arms on a beautiful beach, just about to kiss. Max is woken up by a crash of thunder just before the fact.
- The Idealist: The main character, Max. Things can always look completely hopeless, but he always finds a way to see the positive, and marches on.
- Misery Builds Character: All of the main characters jointly survive a shipwreck, only to be stranded on a deserted island and have to survive through various other hardships while on said island, forcing them to adapt and grow.
- Missing Mom: The mother of one of the character, Stacie, died in a drowning accident.
- Mistaken for Racist: Hispanic Josť is insulted on his race by Chris, calling him a "spick" and referencing his ability to reach America without knowing how to swim. Although he isn't really acting of his own accord but is being influenced by Loki.
- Official Couple: Alex and Rose.
- There Are No Coincidences: The main characters' ship sinks during a violent thunderstorm, which strands them on the island. Obviously, it wasn't just a normal storm, but was created by Loki to get the kids on the island so he could have his twisted fun with them.
- White Male Lead: Max. Not only is he this trope, even his (last) name is White.