Men are such perverts
that they even ejaculate in their sleep. There is a perfectly normal (i.e. non-perverted) biological explanation for this, but Fiction Land likes to pretend that it's always a result of an Erotic Dream
and/or A Date with Rosie Palms
. Also, in Fiction Land, women never do this. (In real life, they do, but barring female ejaculation it's a lot harder for women to tell in the morning.) Truth in Television
for both sexes, though this phenomenon is more the exception than the rule.
If a man is discovered to have such an emission by someone else (especially
his Love Interest
), he will Never Live It Down
See also Raging Stiffie
and, as a natural consequence, Jizzed in My Pants
Anime and Manga
- Serves as the basis for one of Bill Cosby's stand-up routines.
- The French humor magazine "Echo des Savanes" once held a fake protest against "nocturnal pollution", the technical term for this.
- A Ranma ½ fanfiction uses this as a way for Ranma's girl side (revealed to have Ghostly Goals) to be impregnated by the male side.
- Address Unknown has a rare female example, when Twilight falls asleep while studying and has an erotic dream involving Derpy. She's too distracted to notice the mess the following morning and rushes off to Canterlot leaving Spike to clean up.
- Blood That Flows: Poor Yuuno. He's incredibly embarrassed about it, but Kyouya tells him that it's perfectly natural and normal for boys his age to suffer through it. He tells Yuuno to pack more underwear when going on trips in the future.
- Empath: The Luckiest Smurf: Suggested to have happened to Empath in the novel, and to his fellow Smurfs in "I Dream Of Smurfette". Referred to as "the Smurfette dream". See this image◊ for some laughs.
- In A Brother's Price Jerin washes the blankets "soiled by dreams" of a woman. It's a good thing for him he does the whole laundry, so there's no embarassment.
- In The Ghost Writer, sometime after he started the pen-friendship romance with Alice, Gerard has Erotic Dream where he had sex with her. When he woke up, he found his blankets and pajamas wet. He then told Alice about this in his letter. Alice's reply letter has her claimed that she had similar dream roughly at the same time.
- In Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, Jesus heads to the East accompanied by his friend Biff to find the 3 wise men who came to witness his birth so he can learn how to be the messiah. The second of the wise men turns out to be a Buddhist monk who is the head of a Shaolin-esque monastery. While staying at the monastery, the two are naturally forbidden from being involved with women, or masturbating, and the only emission of semen can be involuntary, nocturnal ones. Biff, being a natural born lecher, promptly learns how to force himself to have dreams that will result in nocturnal emissions. Since they stay at the monastery for several years, he notes that he got pretty good at it.
- The Road to Mars: Carlton (an android built to look like David Bowie) is marketed as such. His advertising copy describes him as "a cross between a wet dream and a wank."
- In Neal Stephenson 's Cryptonomicon, Randy starts praying for these after a few weeks in jail.
- In an episode of CSI involving the murder of a step-father, they find his teenaged step-son's DNA on his step-daughter's clothing and begin to ask him about it. Some gentle questioning by a sympathetic and understanding Nick reveals that he's just had one of these (possibly combined with A Date with Rosie Palms) and just grabbed something to clean his hand off.
- In The Sarah Silverman Program, Jay was in bed with Laura when she discovered he'd had a nocturnal emission. She found it so romantic because she thought this was because he'd dreamed of her, when it was in fact over the local news reporter. Then he went to work and took his anxieties out on said news reporter but then decided to explain to her about the nocturnal emission. On live TV. His girlfriend sees this and gets mad and he tries to get the news people to let him apologize. On Live TV. Then his girlfriend forgives him and when the news people actually let him apologize, she burst in, onto live TV, and delivers (in a manner not unlike a PSA) a small speech about how nocturnal emissions are involuntary and they and the dreams are not under the control of the person who has them and shouldn't be held against them.
- The Daily Show - Jon Stewart, in response to a Rush Limbaugh sound bite of accusing Obama's immigration policy to be "a dictator's wet dream", had this to say:
"Lemme tell you something, Rush. If you're a dictator, and you've got enough semen left over at the end of the day for a nocturnal emission, you're not a very good dictator."
- Angel: In Season Two, Angel starts having 'dreams' about his maker. It turns out that Darla is dosing him with magic to drive him nuts.
- Degrassi: JT has a wet dream about Liberty. In Toby's bed.
- Suggested in Alice Cooper's "Nurse Rozetta".
- "Wet Dream" by Max Romeo was deemed so suggestive that the song was effectively banned in some countries. Its title couldn't even be mentioned.
- Butters had one in the South Park episode "Sarcastaball". Note that Butters is a ten years old.
- Happens to Orel Puppington on Moral Orel after having dreams where God praises him. Because he loves Christianity, he starts to physically harm himself whenever he feels "blessed" to counter this.
- Happens to Jack in the "Jack and the Beanstalk" segment of Once Upon A Girl.
- On Daria the eponymous character meets her friend Jane in self-esteem class. Jane has done the course six times already ('I like having low self-esteem; it makes me feel special') and mentions that the boys and the girls will be split in the next class. When wondering what a class of all-male teens and a male teacher will be discussing they conclude it's this trope.
- Now that masturbation is less stigmatized, it's possible that many younger men haven't had, or have forgotten the experience. If you want to refresh your memory, it takes about two to three weeks of complete celibacy before the, ah, pressure builds up enough for a spontaneous nocturnal emission.