Fan Fic: Blood That Flows
Poor Olivie took the title too seriously.
Takamachi Nanoha is just your average nine year old girl thrust into an extraordinary situation, or so she thought.
After bringing Yunno home for the first time, the young mage-turned-ferret remarks to her how he felt strong magical power from Nanoha's mother, which would explain the incredible magical potential he felt from Nanoha. Nanoha doesn't believe him
At the same time, her mother can feel her daughter's magic awakening, and decides to reveal the truth when the time is right
That time ends up being during a confrontation between Nanoha and Fate, where she decides to intervene, becoming Fate's new opponent
. Fate is shocked at the strength of Nanoha's mother that she had to ask, "Who are you
"Who am I, you ask?" The woman smirked as she looked at Fate with her red and golden eyes. "My name is Lina Takamachi. But I used to be known as Lina Inverse."Blood That Flows
is a Lyrical Nanoha AU Crossover
where Nanoha is the daughter of Slayers
protagonist Lina Inverse, who was dimensionally and temporally displaced after her possession by the Lord of Nightmares during the battle against Hellmaster. Written by Nanya of the Relationships Series
fame, who has described the two as the queens of magical overkill
, the story goes through the first two season of Nanoha
before going on its own tangent, including incorporating plotlines and other characters from Slayers
The Story Arcs
of the Fan Fic
- Season One: Based on the original Lyrical Nanoha season, this story arc sticks close to canon, with the addition of Lina overseeing Nanoha and Yunno's magic lessons.
- A's: Based on the Lyrical Nanoha A's season, this is where the divergences from the Nanoha canon begins, with an original Big Bad added into the mix.
- Jump: The extended epilogue of the A's arc, dealing with the defeat of said Big Bad.
- New: A breather arc that shift the scene into the Slayers-verse, which immediately leads into...
- Try: Based on the Slayers TRY season, with added twists and additional Slayers-verse characters drawn from the light novels and the Knight of Aqualord manga.
- Shine: An original arc that pulls in StrikerS era characters, delving into incidents originally mentioned as backstory.
- Dusk: The followup to Shine, continuing some of the same plotlines, while also making use of a plot from a Slayers light novel.
- Red: Yuuno, Nanoha, Fate and Miyuki return to Earth from training on Mid-Childa. And later, Shabranigdo's return.
- Peek: A collection of short character focuses in the aftermath of the Red arc. Intersect with the Airport Fire incident shown in the first episode of StrikerS.
- StrikerS: Arc dealing with the devlopment of the Riot Force, Jail Scaglietti and the Numbers. Based on the Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS season.
- Numbers: An arc focusing on the Numbers' development after the events of StrikerS.
- SSX: Which introduces Runessa and covers the events of the Mariage incident.
- ViVid: Based on the ViVid manga, dealing with the schoollife of Vivio, Arashi and Ixpelia. While in the meantime prepare for the Force arc.
- Revolution: An arc starring Nove and the ViVid kids, while adapting elements of the Slayers season of the same name.
Note: The spoilered content is for material that is on the Nanoha fanfic thread on Animesuki's forums
or the Anime Addventure thread
and not yet published on Fanfiction.net
It should be noted that the Author no longer posts at Animesuki and the Anime Addventure currently has a bad bug keeping any new posts from showing up. You can find the newest parts at The Fanfiction Forum.
In addition, if any tropes are being renamed, please rename the trope to its proper usage instead of just deleting them.
open/close all folders
Tropes Found In Blood That Flows:
- Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder: Lina was pretty much resigned to being stuck on Earth. She also ended up falling in love with Shiro who found her unconscious when she first arrived, got married, and had Nanoha. Thus when she learned the TSAB located her home universe, she knew her return was going to be hard for her old friends, especially Gourry, since it was her attempt to save him that started all this. She figured that there was a chance that Gourry and Syphiel got together. However, it gets more awkward when she returns home, as it turns out it's only been a month since that battle with Hellmaster.
- Accidental Hero: Xellos. See Minion with an F in Evil below.
- Accidental Pervert: Chrono takes Gourry's spot in looking under Filia's skirt after seeing her tail. It turns into a Running Gag with Chrono being in compromising positions with Filia.
- Achievements in Ignorance: Lampshaded by Kyrie when she was told by Amitie that she wanted to try stuff with eggplants.
Kyrie: "The last time you tried to do something with something you made a bomb... Out of cotton, and I still don't know how you got it to stick."
- Actor Allusion: Lina talks how she can go fast on her bike, fast enough to get the attention of flying machines.
- Arisa's Holy power manifests in a way that she has flaming wings and a sword of fire that's blue instead of red.
- Hayate ends up facing down a Mazoku who goes by the name of "Archer", and Fate ends up facing down a Mazoku named "Mokka" during the Red arc of the story. Hayate lampshades the situation against her opponent, of course.
- Lina's cell phone has Get Along as her ring tone.
- In Revolution, Corona ends up facing a mazoku that has a resemblance to Nanaya, complete with a knife and a crazed look.
- In Revolution Ixpellia gets her hands on a rebuilt Blessed Blade that absorbs the negative energy that Mazoku produce and purifies it. She then uses that to pull an attack that's similar to Excalibur.
- A-Cup Angst: With Nanoha being the biological daughter of Lina Inverse, she got hit with this hard, especially when Vita really grew up.
- Affably Evil: Dolphin, Zelas and Xellos, of course. There are times it's easy to forget that they are, in fact, creatures of pure evil. Then they go and randomly kill or curse people for no real reason.
- Aliens Made Them Do It: Xellos and Rangort, after being in a haze after eating chocolate filled with who knows what... for at least a month.
- An Eye and a Hand: The price Signum paid for attempting to knock out Cinque instead of trying something dangerous. Later mentioned that Cinque was barely able to hold her rage in check and was thankful that Signum didn't try to attack her.
- Handicapped Badass: Laevatein's original body was retrofitted into a cybernetic hand for Signum. Due to the newness of the hand, she was advised to only use Laevantein's blade form as anything more might have broken the new hand. Her depth perception is also hindered by the lack of an eye.
- Arc Welding: Original villain Death Bringer Garoth didn't just begin to play his hand during the events of A's. He was also responsible for the catastrophic failure of Precia's experiment and the corruption of the Book of Darkness.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: A variant with Rangort, where she takes a Waterfall Shower and all Xellos does is be a peeping tom. This leads to Rangort dropping a mountain on Xellos and then later directly insisting he "help her".
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Mazoku Lord Lucefer commented Lindy he created a plague that wiped out most of Europe a few hundred years ago, convinced Stalin that communism was lame, and convinced Justin Beiber that he could sing.
- Artificial Limbs: After losing an eye and a hand to Cinque's Rumble Detonator, Signum's right hand is replaced with a cybernetic prosthesis created from the melted down scraps of Laevatein's original framework. Her eye is a total loss, though, so she gets an eyepatch for that.
- Ascended Extra: Yunno, of course. This is one of the author's behind the Relationships Series after all.
- So much so that he's an Adaptational Badass by now.
- Shiro, who manages to hold his own when traveling with his family and friends through Lina's homeworld. It helps he temporally wielded the magic absorbing Blast Blade before relinquishing it to Gourry.
- The Shine arc tosses in Miyuki as the new owner of Gorun Nova and Suzuka and Arisa, who finds themselves drawing the attention of Riksfalto.
- Adaptation Distillation: Plenty of it.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us: The TSAB's Ground Forces HQ is taken over by Garoth so he can use it as the site of his master's unsealing. It later ends up collapsing after Garoth is banished into the Sea of Chaos.
- Awesomeness Is Volatile: Really... mixing the Dragon Slave with Nanoha-style magic? They were bad enough individually... but now...
From his position, Chrono floated up and gaped at the destruction. Where there was hills, flat area and some small bodies of water...
Was nothing but a large sunken hole in the ground that had some rocks that were glowing red. Well, that and the large amounts of glass that people were walking on. Other than that, he was certain that if they had gotten there a moment later, none of those girls would be alive, hell, he was almost certain that the continent would be split in two before the energy dissipated naturally.
- Chaos magic can do a lot of things, but it is unpredictable and has a nasty tendency of making its users go berserk the first time they use it, as anyone who was in the same area of Nanoha, Cinque and Dieci found out.
- Babies Ever After: Not only does Try have the original canon ending of Filia receiving the egg of the reborn Val, Lina announces that she's pregnant again.
- Not to mention Hayate becoming pregnant in the SSX arc due to being unisoned with Reinforce for so long. Rein is understandably confused.
- Back from the Dead: Gaav, only for him to die again finally getting his revenge on Shabranigdo.
- Bad Boss: Dynast Grausherra. At least, when he pretty much sees Sherra as worthless after being defeated by Xellos. Of course, he later try to use Sherra as a backup body when Lina vapes him with a Ragna Blade fired through Galveira. Zelas prevents his plan from succeeding though.
- Badass Normal: Shiro and Miyuki.
- Batman Gambit: Regius and Quint pull off a beautiful one near the end of StrikerS: Knowing that the Brains have too many friends in high places, the two instead arrange for Due to "escape" Riot Force custody. When Vita and Leti find her they also find them, and the Leti orders Vita to kill them. As it turned out, they're abominations to the natural order, and Bureau law mandates that such creatures are to be exterminated on sight.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Arisa asks the Fire Dragon King Vrabazaad to burn Yunno's clothes off, since it was his power that melted her pants, revealing her panties. The Shinzoku does so, but instead of a Shirtless Scene, Arisa's treated to Yunno in his birthday suit.
- Big Bad: Plenty of those throughout the course of the series, which is perfectly understandeable since the fanfic encompasses numerous arcs of two different anime series. One takes the cake though. Levi, Mazoku-revived Alicia Testarossa, is the most recurrent and most repulsive one, appearing in numerous arcs to constantly threaten the universe, Kick the Dog and escape after doing some lasting damage.
- Big Damn Heroes: Aside from the canon rescue of Nanoha in A's beginning, we have Precia, the poster woman for abusive mothers, who saves Fate from Alicia's tortures in Jump. Following that is Chrono, Yunno, and Shamal who uses the Jewel Seeds to create a Sea of Chaos rift to keep Death Bringer from killing Lina, and then Unison Reinforce who keeps Death Bringer from pulling a Taking You with Me with Lina.
- Zelgadis finally gets to show off as he saves Erio, Caro and Fried from the Mariages. A moment later, Kuma and the Florian sisters show up to help as well.
- Revolution has Lyos and Pokota bailing out the kids from Gram's subordinates.
- Big Eater: Shockingly, not Lina. Having basically retired and cut back on her magic usage, Lina doesn't need to eat as much as she used to. (Though she still eats a lot.) The kids on the other hand...
- Sette is revealed to be this in Numbers by eating Four steaks, eight pancakes, two hamburgers, a whole apple pie, twenty bread sticks, cheese sticks, at least eight refills on her drink, and some crackers. Then she wants ice cream.
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: The final chapters of the Shine arc has Lina giving birth to her new son Arashi and Precia Testarossa passing away, just as she bequeathed her magical knowledge to Fate.
- Blood Knight: Riksfalto, oh gods, Riksfalto.
- Boxed Crook: Precia gets a pardon provided that she helps stop Garoth and Alicia, including giving the knowledge on how to open a rift to the Sea of Chaos...
- Brain Uploading: Jail and Uno had uploaded a copy of their memories and personalities into Nove's Gun Knuckle, and that copy uploaded itself into Nove's Jet Edge Device when she got it. The program representing those memories slept and only awoke when Nove personally fought a Mazoku.
- Break the Cutie: Poor Lutecia. She never had a chance.
- What Garoth did to Nanoha would leave lasting mental scars on her.
- Breast Expansion: Through the natural method of growing up, as Vita is experiencing. Hayate wonders how big they'll get. As of the Red arc, Vita is a head shorter than Signum with breasts as large as Shamal's. And she's only biologically 13.
- After getting a small power boost of black magic, Levi enlarges her host body's chest in order to have the bust size she originally had.
- Breather Episode: After dealing with Valgaav, Riksfalto, Sherra, and the Golden Dragons trying to kill off Nanoha, the group stops and has a Fanservice-filled rest stop at a local village.
- Broken Bird: Kyrie and Amitie Florian come from the Death Fog staff world where they were created to serve under a Mazoku. They've been resigned to being under a Mazoku's service, not allowing themselves to dream and hope for anything for themselves. Especially after their father was killed. To emphasize their broken nature, Kyrie explains to Shamal what she expected after being captured and imprisoned.
- Amitie fully expected Kuma to use her and throw her away when they entered the Hot Springs. He just calmly talked to her about it and swore not to let Levi use them like she planned... he still got a Raging Stiffie, but didn't act on it.
- Busman's Holiday: Lina's return home was supposed to be just for reuniting with her old friends and family as well as introducing her new ones. However the Mazoku got wind of her return, and she just couldn't leave that be, knowing that trouble could easily follow her back to Earth.
Lina Takamachi: We ended up going on vacation... And had to save every universe.
- Butt Monkey: There's a bandit on the Red World that gets blown up by a Takamachi female when she drops in from the Blue World. Nanoha blows him up in the New arc. Lina blew him up in Peek. Vivio blasts him in Revolution.
- Calling the Old Woman Out: Alicia to Precia while holding a bloodied, naked Fate between them.
- Came Back Wrong: Alicia is revived as a Mazoku, and becomes one of the most villainous female characters in the story. How villainous? Precia has to save Fate from her.
- Canon Welding: The Nanoha-verse is one of the four staff worlds in the Slayers multiverse. The Blue World (home to Chaotic Blue and the Blue Dragon God), to be specific, whereas the Slayers-verse is on the Red World.
- Cast from Lifespan: Lina reveals that while she has unlimited magic and can freely use the power of the Lord of Nightmares, doing so causes her body to start to break down and starts to kill her after awhile. However, her lack of stamina in "Try" was mostly because of her pregnancy, which may have had something to do with it.
- Character Exaggeration: Sein is a lot more perverted in this story than in canon. To the point where she's openly groping Tre while others are watching and sneaks into Tre's room while the latter is naked on her bed.
- Not only Sein, Fate and Arisa got their pervy-ness amped up to the point of willingly going together TOPLESS to Yuuno's room in order to play a prank on him by squeezing their assets on his face. Yeah, we're talking about that Fate and that Arisa.
- Chekhov's Gun: After seeing the Starlight Breaker for the first time, Lina wonders what it would be like to use the Dragon Slave against that spell. Then in the Try arc, the corrupted golden dragon elder uses the Dragon Slave against Nanoha, who counters with the Starlight Breaker. The resulting collision between these two spells is not something you'd want to stick around for.
- In the first arc, Miyuki mentions wanting a magic sword, and Lina said only if the Sword of Light shows up. In the Shine arc, Sirius comes visiting, leaving all five Dark Star weapons in Lina's custody, and Miyuki claims possession of it.
- Cliff Hanger: How ViVid suddenly ends.
- Clothing Damage: While it existed in Nanoha canon, here fights have left cast members at least half naked. In one spar the strategy of Defeat by Modesty even comes up.
- Cool Big Sis: Tre to Cinque and Sein. Due has shades of this as well, tempered by a teasing personality.
- Combat Tentacles: Reinforce makes good use of these when she went berserk.
- Combining Mecha: Quattro manages to do this with the Gadget Drones and the Megahs to increase the power of the AMF by a substantial margin.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Uno decides to force Quattro to watch three hours worth of Barney & Friends for over-the-top teasing of Tre's figure. Due to Quattro sharing a body with Levi, the punishment was horrifying in their opinion. And this is with Uno not even knowing about the Mazoku in the Numbers' ranks.
- Continuity Nod: Remember how Nanoha chanted the Shining Finger chant when charging up the Starlight Breaker in Season 1? It comes back with a vengeance in the Red and StrikerS arcs, this time with Reinforce Zwei and Hayate doing it respectively.
- Contrived Coincidence: Sein's job was to enter the TSAB and observe their tactics. She does so by enrolling, and somehow by chance becomes Subaru and Teana's roommate. Then by chance, Subaru and Teana meet Nove and Wendi, both undercover as civilian and familiar, and then later Quint meets all three. Nove resemblance causes Quint to confront Regius, leading him to confess her everything about the combat cyborgs, Jail, and his relationship with the TSAB.
- Corporal Punishment: Of the spanking variety: Lina does this to the Leize twins for their involvement with the Book of Darkness. She achieves this using a whip and laughing like Naga.
- Reinforce does this to Vita, seemingly taking the role of Team Mom literally in the Yagami household (outside of being Zwei's actual mother of course).
- Then she does it again, due to events of the Red Arc. Vita really shouldn't have decked Reinforce.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Aside from acts of destruction and violence, this also seems to be the Mazoku's hat. As Corona can attest in Revolution.
- Crash-Into Hello: Yuuno has this happen to him with Miyuki in the Shine Arc.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: While Kuma's super fast and never hid that, he keeps getting people's names wrong, acts rather silly, hits on Teana and flirts with Arisa, but when he finally stopped holding back, he beat the living tar out of Levi.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Poor, poor Olivie.
- Same with Fate. Good thing she had back-up.
- Nanoha pulls one of these on the bad guys in Red.
- Levi was expecting this using the Megahs against Riot Force. Needless to say, when the Cyborgs, the Florians, and Suzuka got involved, it quickly went the other way.
- Darker and Edgier: Well, comparing this version of StrikerS to the canon version. It's almost like Force in a way.
- Deader Than Dead: Mentioned in-universe.
Luna Inverse:Just make sure that whatever you fight, you kill deader than dead.
- This later becomes a form of Dramatic Irony as Levi, who was supposedly killed in the Jump arc returns by possessing Quattro in the StrikerS arc.
- Dynast Grausherra did this to Zelas' human lover, to make sure she couldn't bring him back as a Mazoku.
- Deadpan Snarker: Uno
- Death by Adaptation: Dynast Grausherra, who tried to cheat death by taking over his general Sherra, but Zelas prevents him from overwriting Sherra's mind.
- Jail and Uno were killed by Levi when she decided to to go full throttle on her plans.
- Deal with the Devil: The Golden Dragon elder under the Fire Dragon Lord, along with his loyal followers, make one with Dynast Grausherra in hopes of gaining the power to kill the last Ancient Dragon. He's a plain Hypocrite, as he accused Lina of doing the same earlier with the Lord of Nightmares.
- Vita and the other Wolkenritter made a similar deal with the Book of Darkness. For extra power, they would become its Guardian Knights upon their deaths. It didn't work well, as Signum was shown murdering Vita shortly after Vita got her powerup.
- And now that her plans have been derailed and she's been weakened once more, Levi has struck up a lasting bodyguard deal... with Curren Huckebein. The other Huckebeins followed, except for Cypha and Arnage, with the former preventing the latter from doing so.
- Demonic Possession: The Not Quite Dead Alicia, now calling herself Levi, took over Quattro's body.
- Runessa, who was posessed by a minor Mazoku who ends up being the real villain behind the Mariage incident.
- De-power: A minor case, but Reinforce goes from being able to take on both Lina and Nanoha at the same time, to having trouble with Mechanical Monsters later in the story.
- Both commented on in the story between her and Signum, as well as justified as she lost a major amount of power that came with being purified and can only access her strongest powers while combined with Hayate.
- The second point is also justified because her mind was being assaulted and she was having trouble focusing.
- After being brought back to life, Luna Inverse has found that she no longer has Holy magic at all.
- Death World: Non-administered World 500, aka the Slayers world, is marked with a SS threat level.
(Zest) fought back the urge to get annoyed with them, they were justified in being worried about what he requested, since most everyone in the Bureau was, in fact, restricted to going to this planet. When the ship shook slightly, he closed his eyes and waited for a moment. The planet he was going to was described as the most dangerous of all worlds, and frankly, that was what he needed. Sitting around or trying to go on vacation didn't really suit him, being able to fight and not think about stuff suited him more.
- Deus Exit Machina: Lina's pregnancy keeps her from being physically active in the events of Shine, and places her in just a advising role, allowing the plot to focus back to most of the Nanoha-verse cast as they deal with the new reality.
- A more sinister version has Luna killed off-screen and Nanoha nearly killed, requiring Lina to get Nanoha out of the area so she can focus on stopping Nanoha's rampant Chaos magic from doing more harm than good to her body.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Vita caused this to happen the last time she was at the beach, having grown to become quite the looker. Even some girls crashed into something while looking at her.
- Double Entendre: Taken Up to Eleven with Subaru and Ginga vs. their opponents in the StrikerS arc.
- Double Knockout: In what is supposed to be a Lighthearted Rematch between Nanoha and her friends and the Yagami family, Nanoha and Hayate went all out for their final attack of the battle. Nanoha, channeling her Chaos powers, and Hayate, unisoned with Reinforce. Only then did they KO'ed each other, destroying the entire training grounds in the process.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Averted. After Filia hits Chrono with her mace, Lina gives a What the Hell, Hero? speech in regards to this.
- Dramatic Irony: Jail's goals now involve getting enough power to deal with a Mazoku threat, knowing there are others. He doesn't know that one of his Numbers is being possessed, and then later corrupted by a Mazoku.
- Also Jail's plots involve making the TSAB take the Mazoku threat seriously. He doesn't know that is the reason the Riot Force was founded.
- Dragon Ascendant: Levi, after Death Bringer Garoth was destroyed.
- Drowning My Sorrows: It seems this is what Gourry was doing for a month since Lina's 'death'. Not even Syphiel could snap him out of it.
- Dual Wielding: Lina does this with the freaking RAGNA BLADE!!
- After her injury at Cinque's hands, Signum has taken up dual-wielding as well, first with a Shine Sword, and later a duplicate of the rebuilt Laevatein.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Quint and Megane appear at the beginning of the Jump arc with their children (Ginga, Subaru and Lutecia respectively). Zest and Regius are seen helpless against Death Bringer Garoth's takeover of the TSAB's Ground Forces HQ.
- The newest arc Shine glimpses at the birth of Caro and the creation of Erio. Jail also appears with Uno, Due and Tre seeking information from Precia. Some of the other Numbers soon follow.
- As of Peek, practically everyone through StrikerS other than Otto, Deed and Vivio.
- Caro got REALLY lucky when she met what seems to be the Huckebein.
- Ixpellia shows up in one of Nanoha's dreams while she's in a coma.
- Enemy Mine: Nanoha, Fate, Yuuno, and the Wolkenritter team up during what was the second canon battle when Alicia decides there isn't enough bloodshed and summons a horde of minor demons.
- Huraker's claiming of the Water Dragon Lord's powers from Lyos has her facing Riksfalto, Valgaav, Zelgadis, Yunno, Fate, Chrono, and the Shinzoku Erulogos together.
- Eureka Moment: Chrono gets the idea to use some Jewel Seeds to open another crack into the Sea of Chaos to send Garoth into after hearing Vita wishing for a black hole to toss the Mazoku Lord into.
- Expy: Death Bringer Garoth is pretty much one of Hellmaster Phibrizo. Lina even calls him a Phibrizo-wannabe.
- Eye Scream: One of the numerous injuries that happens to Signum after she's introduced to Cinque's Rumble Detonator the hard way.
- Also happened to Cinque when she lost her eye to Zest and when it grew back.
- Failsafe Failure: Arisa, Suzuka and Arf are at the mall and meet a malfunctioning Mid-Childa trash compactor that goes berserk and ends up destroying the mall before it's finally stopped.
- Fanservice: Plenty of it throughout the story. Clothes tend to go flying off for various reasons.
- Fanservice with a Smile: As part of Lina's deal with the inn her group was staying in, Amelia, Syphiel and Filia were made to work as waitresses. The latter three did not appreciate this.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Reinforce suffers this at the hands of Levi.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Even if she was thrown less than 20 years back in time that's how it felt like to Lina when she ended up on Earth, a different planet with technology centuries more advanced than the Red World's.
- Foreshadowing: A rather neat and subtle one happens in chapter 8 where Lina thought that if Yuuno had been on her home world, he would have been called the next great sage. 32 chapters, 3 arcs, and one in-story year later when on Lina's home world, both Shinzoku and Mazoku are calling him the fifth great sage.
- There are hints as to why Lina's fighting ability seems to be weaker than what it should have been on her home world. At the end of the Try arc, she reveals that she's pregnant.
- The unnoticed glow around Erio and the dragons roaring just as Caro was born seems to hint these two will have something special on top of what they have in canon.
- The Lord of Nightmares later implies that they might be the current reincarnations of Dugradigdu and Vorfeed.
- Xellos explains to Rangort how Mazoku possess human bodies in order to mate with humans and produce half-human, half-Mazoku offspring, and it's done rarely. Immediately following that, Zelas appears, and then explains that Xellos was the result of such a pairing between her and a human male..
- For Want of a Nail: In the novels, Luke-Shabranigdo knew that Mazoku was responsible for Milina's death, and so gave Lina and Gourry the opportunity to kill him, even granting unlimited magic and stamina. In the fanfic, Luke was only told that bandits killed Milina. Without realizing that it wasn't humans that killed his beloved, his soul was consumed by Shabrangido.
- On a lighter note, during the airport fire, instead of Subaru being rescued by Nanoha, she was rescued by Yunno.
- Zest and Quint's survival puts Regius on a more The Atoner path than in canon. As a result, Riot Force is mostly his creation.
- Friend to All Children: Lina, who brings stuff to an orphanage for abused children every month. Mostly an extension of that side of her that existed in the original canon.
- Friend to All Living Things: Ironically, Mazoku Lord Deep Sea Dolphin gets along well with sea life. It doesn't seem ironic at first, because she claims the sea to be her domain, until you remember that she's a Mazoku and her race wants to destroy the universe, or so they say.
- Friendly Tickle Torture: Due doesn't like it when Cinque and Tre get mopey, so, she tickles them to get them to stop being "frowny faces".
- Funbag Airbag: Happens often enough to members of the cast to be a running gag.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: Yuuno does this to Fate to snap her out of a Heroic BSOD that she was heading into after finding out about what happened to her sister.
- In Dusk, it's Regius of all people that snaps Zest out of his BSOD.
- In StrikerS, during the Nanoha vs Saint-King!Vivio, Nanoha does this to calm Vivio down when long repressed memories of Olivie's last moments before Garoth killed her threaten to drive her insane.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Invoked by Fate and Arisa. In order to get back at Yuuno over a joke he played on them. They walked into his room, topless, dyed his hair a variety of colors, before pressing their breasts together and making out while Thoth recorded the whole thing. This was to keep Thoth from telling Yuuno what was going on. Upon viewing it, it was enough to have Chrono need some relief from Amy and Filia.
- And speaking of Amy and Filia, they did tease Chrono the same way.
- Go-Go Enslavement: The corrupted Golden Dragons do this to Filia, leaving her in lacy corset/thong combo that seems to be irremovable. Then it turns out the undergarments are an illusion, meaning she's really naked.
- Go to Your Room: Lina says this to Luna, expressing her displeasure on how Luna failed to protect Arisa and Suzuka.
- Good Parents: The ones who were adults at the start of the story, Lindy, Genya, Quint, Lina, and Shiro are this to the younger members of the cast.
- Said younger members, Nanoha, Fate, Hayate, Yuuno and Chrono, become this, when they grow up, to the younger children that come into their lives.
- Jail is this to the Numbers while he's still with them. The Numbers are later split into different families with Good Parents of their own, except for Tre and Sein, who go to work for the Saint Church.
- Good Thing You Can Heal: Cinque reveals that she has gained regenerative powers and uses them to their fullest effect, standing near a nearly lethal explosion without using a barrier, cutting her own throat to escape capture and grabbing Laevantein and using her Rumble Detonator skill on it to blow it up and take her hand out in the process. Signum wasn't quite as lucky.
- Happily Adopted: Fate gets adopted not by Lindy, but by Lina, making her and Nanoha sisters.
- Has Two Mommies: Reinforce Zwei and Vita. At the moment. The Vivid Arc adds Hayate's new daughter Kyouka.
- Heel-Face Turn: Quattro, of all people...Nobody saw it coming...but considering her situation.
- Not definite but Cypha and Arnage of Huckebein may also apply.
- Heroic BSOD:
- Gourry in the aftermath of the battle against Hellmaster as he believed Lina was dead.
- Fate when she learns Alicia was resurrected as a Mazoku.
- Nanoha, after being tortured physically and mentally by Garoth.
- Heroic RROD: Towards the end of the Red Arc, Nanoha gets stabbed while actively using her chaos powers. It's also why she survived, even if she was in a coma for months afterward while her body recovered.
- Holy Hand Grenade: It turns out Raising Heart's is a holy-elemental artifact, and therefore capable of hurting Mazoku. It gets more interesting when Nanoha can cast boosted Dragon Slaves through it...
- How Do I Shot Web?: Seems to be a trend for humans when trying to wield holy magic. It was apparently a tough time for Luna Inverse, who couldn't wear clothes because her power kept burning her clothes off until she got a handle with it, and she had no one to teach her.
- Humanity Ensues: After drawing from Nanoha's Chaos-infused Linker Core, the Wolkenritter were transformed from being magical constructs into actual living breathing flesh, their ties to the Book of Darkness severed, and now mortal.
- Humiliation Conga: Levi, at the climax of the StrikerS arc, has been betrayed by her own Priest, blasted by a Divine Buster, had Reinforce, Lutecia, and Vivio taken away, had her evil ass kicked by Kuma, whose armor form is actually able to harm Astral bodies, and currently been outmaneuvered and on the path of a Villainous Breakdown...and Lina Inverse is there too. It takes a Deal with the Devil with Curren Huckebein to stop it.
- I'm a Man, I Can't Help It: Kuma gives this as an excuse for his erection during a somewhat dark Hot Springs Episode... although he decides not to follow up despite the fact he was willing and Amitie was straddling him naked in the water...
Kuma: I am a guy, and you are a very lovely young lady.
- Irony: Remember how Precia used to whip Fate for not being similar enough to her "perfect" Alicia? Well, here she saves Fate from being whipped to death by Mazoku-corrupted Alicia.
- It gets worse for Precia. By the time of Vivid, her dead body is suspended naked in a tube thanks to Levi. Levi evens notes the reversal of their positions.
- I Just Want to Be Special: After Luna loses her status as the Knight of Cephied, she decides to go Mid-Childa and work with the Saint Church.
- Teana feels this way considering she's pretty much partnered with the strongest people in their world.
- Internal Reveal: To wit-
Jail: I just wish I knew why you were trying to stop us from perfecting our ability to fight against Mazoku.
Subaru:...What are you talking about? The Riot Force that I work for was designed to train mages to be able to fight against Mazoku.
- Interspecies Romance: Chrono and Amy with Filia.
- Intoxication Ensues: Someone spiked the punch at a party and it led to Fate having a Heroic BSOD about her feelings when it comes to other girls and Yunno, and Vita losing her virginity.
- Intrigued by Humanity: Mazoku Lord Lucefer. This is what gets him marked as a traitor by his fellow Mazoku, especially after he gave away knowledge on how humans can fight Mazoku. Despite their efforts, he is still alive... for the present term.
- I Want Grandkids: Well, even though Lina already has a family, Lina's parents are bugging her sister Luna to get married and have kids. Which is going to be impossible since Luna's into girls.
- Journey to Find Oneself: Zest goes to the Red World in order to recover from his BSOD.
- Kill Us Both: This trope is in effect when Gaav with the Gorun Nova used himself as a conduit for the heroes to use for slaying Shabrangido.
- Knife Nut: Ixpellia
- Knight of Cerebus: Gram, the Mazoku handler of the Florain sisters, is this to the ViVid cast, his minions injuring Corona and he personally killing Rio.
- Lampshade Hanging: Needless to say, all over the place.
- Lamarck Was Right: Nanoha's magic potential is stated to be because of her mother having a tremendous amount of magic.
- Suzuka is revealed to have powerful anti-Mazoku abilities because it was passed on from her ancestors. Justified in that her ancestors were experimented on and made into weapons to fight against Mazoku and the powerful abilities would be passed on throughout the generations.
- Xellos, after his month-long tryst with the Earth Dragon Goddess Rangort, has twin girls, both of whom have Holy and Black Magic radiating from them.
- LEGO Genetics: Jail gets his hands on Filia and Val's DNA for implantation into the Numbers, as part of his safeguards against the Mazoku. This obviously results in Wendi, Sette, Otto, and Deed being half-human, half-dragon, cyborg clones.
- It is later revealed that during the Garoth crisis, Jail had Due get the blood of Lina and Nanoha, isolated the DNA that related to their magic, and implanted into Cinque and Dieci. He later realized that particular magic is not to be worked with lightly.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Signum rushed at Cinque despite (or perhaps because) sensing Chaos magic in the already dangerous cyborg. Needless to say, things didn't end well for the Blazing General.
- Living Battery: The Megahs are powered by Unison Devices. In this story, that is how Agito was discovered. However Unison Devices get turned into Empty Shells once they are hooked up. They are only able to regain a form of personality if they Unison with someone for a long time. But there is a limit to how long they can remain hooked up to the Megahs because once removed, they cease to exist.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: So much so that by the time that the Try arc gets done, most of all the canon Slayers characters were used, on top of the canon Nanoha cast from season 1.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Thoth Driver.
- Love Makes You Crazy: The apparent reason for Dark Star and Vorfeed's rampage. They were in love, but stuck in their vicious cycle of wars among their subordinates. Incidentally, Lina guessed the basic reason for the rampage without knowing anything at all.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: As far as Xellos knew, he is like all Mazoku, created from their immediate master's severing part of their astral body off and shaping it into a new individual Mazoku. However, Zelas reveals that she is his mother in the traditional sense, and that he had a human father. After he was born, Zelas purged his human side and made him a full Mazoku (for Xellos' safety), only later giving him the power that made him one of the more powerful servants of the five Retainers. As for the father, he was killed by Dynast.
- Nove learning she's related to the Nakajima family. And on the other side, Subaru learning that Nove's her sister.
- Luke, You Are My Father: When Reinforce Zwei introduced herself, she calls Hayate "Daddy", especially since Reinforce was made pregnant with Zwei as part of the creation process, and that both Hayate's and Reinforce's Linker Cores were used. This scene was pulled from another crack short Nanya wrote.
Arisa: Hayate's not even 10 years old and has a child of her own, and she's the father? Argh! You magic people throw everything out of whack!
- More dramatically, Zest being told that Lutecia is his daughter, after hearing the news of Megane and Lutecia's deaths. He doesn't take it well.
- And on a sillier note, Rangort introducing Xellos to his daughters.
- Mama Bear: Lina, it's probably her only Berserk Button now.
- Both Rangort and Zelas promise to raise hell on anyone who hurts Rangort's twin daughters.
- Quattro brags to a recently healed and apparently unconscious Megane about what she did to Lutecia and is about to kill her when Megane wakes up, overpowers Quattro and snaps her neck.
- Lina's status as a Mama Bear was never in question, but if anyone forgot about it, all they have to do is look at Lina's reaction to finding out about her children and grandchild nearly getting hurt.
"Shiro, get some pants on, someone tried to kill our family."
- Mayfly-December Romance: Filia is a century-years-old dragon, and the youngest of her race. Chrono and Amy are just approaching adulthood. Filia has a sobering moment regarding this in the Advice chapter of Peek.
- Meaningful Name: Arashi means storm or tempest. Fitting as he can use Chaos Magic naturally with no ill effects.
- Hayate names her new daughter Kyouka, which can mean "reinforce".
- Mind Rape: Poor Nanoha, with Death Bringer making her suffer like this. Good thing she got therapy for this.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Xellos really does not understand Earth's socioeconomic or environmental patterns, so he keeps trying to create misery, and ends up a town hero. Like killing a warlord. Or turning a diamond mine into a coal mine. Or blowing up a port that turned out to have been a Wretched Hive. Or killing all the rabbits in Australia.
- Mirror Match: The infamous Shadow Reflector, once destroyed by Lina Inverse, is repaired by the Mazoku conspiring in the Kingdom of Dils. This time, it does create an evil twin, and they use it on Zest.
- Mark of the Supernatural:
- One of the external signs of Lina being 'marked' by the Lord of Nightmares is her left eye being gold. She covers both of her eyes with a glamor to hide it, making them both blue like the eyes of Momoko Takamachi.
- Cinque has one normal eye and one literally black eye, formed from Chaotic energy.
- Mood Whiplash: Many. One notable event was the end of the Shine arc. From the birth of Lina Takamichi's son Arashi to the Sudden Downer Ending of Precia Testarossa's death and funeral.
- Moment Killer: Filia comments that she and Chrono were interrupted when Amy asks why Chrono seemed upset.
- More Than Mind Control: How Death Bringer corrupts the soul of Alicia.
- The Mutiny: While they've made it clear that Hayate is Still The Leader, they've had her step down as commander of Riot Force 6 due to her emotions overruling her decisions and placed Chrono in charge.
- Mythology Gag: Nanoha sticking her head into the kitchen at the Midoriya Cafe causes all fights to stop.
- Mazoku-Alicia's disguise is based on Material-L from TheBattleOfAces . She later adopts Material-L's new name Levi found in the game's sequel The Gears of Destiny.
- Reinforce reverse-unisons with Hayate at the end of the battle with Death Bringer and gains the look she had during the final fight in the PSP game.
- A confrontation with the corrupted dragon elder get Nanoha's hair partially burned off, leaving her looking like Material-S.
- Even earlier than that, Nanoha's new spell Divine Flame Buster can be seen as a Material-S shout-out.
- Lina gets one when she comments on how she's glad that Fate's not being arrested for being herself and wonders if that might have happened if she stayed on her own home world. Guess what happened in the fourth season of Slayers?
- Lina tells Gourry she's selling him the Blast Sword for 550 – the same price that she had originally offered to buy the Sword of Light for when she first found out Gourry had it.
- Hayate, thanks to Reinforce being around, has spells and abilities of both her canon self and how she was in the PSP game.
- Luna musing on how the Staff of Bones, a weapon made from Shabranigdo's own body, might be able to withstand the Blast Blade. That's what happens in the final Slayers Light Novel, when Gourry, armed with the Blast Blade, fights Luke-Shabrangido who is wielding the Staff of Bones.
- One of Nanoha's dreams while in a coma involves her mother not being Lina, her father dead, Lindy a fairy, and marrying Chrono. In short, the Lyrical Nanoha Pilot Episode that came with later versions of Triangle Heart 3: Sweet Songs Forever.
- Speaking of which, Nanoha recently got a fox plushie that she named Kuon.
- Mugging the Monster: Just shortly after Lina and her group arrive on her home world, they are beset by a group of bandits who were emboldened due to the news that Lina Inverse is dead.
- Naked People Are Funny: In the final Nanoha vs. Fate battle, Fate gets her Barrier Jacket burned off from the heat of one of Nanoha's fire spells. Lina admits it's kinda funny.
- Arisa's lack of understanding of the holy magic inside her gets her shirt burned off.
- Named by Democracy: After the Unison Device known in canon to us as Agito finally recovers, she realizes that she doesn't know her own name. The Numbers try to find a name for her, eventually settling on Agito.
- Never Live It Down: In-Universe application. When Sirius, one of the Shinzoku under Vorfeed, is beamed aboard the Arthra, he asks if the on board chef routinely blows up the kitchen while cooking, remembering Vorfeed's time as a spaceship included such incidents.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Outside of using the Giga Slave or an Arc En Ciel bombardment, there was no way for the defenders of Seyruun to be able to defeat a fully awake shard of Shabranigdo. Then Shabranigdo decided to send in a resurrected Gaav, with some of Gaav's memories modified of course. By chance the heroes manage to unseal Gaav's memories, causing Gaav to revert to his original goals of rebelling against Shabranigdo. Doubles as a Hoist by His Own Petard.
- Nocturnal Emission: Poor Yuuno. He's incredibly embarrassed about it, but Kyouya tells him that it's perfectly natural and normal for boys his age to suffer through it. He tells Yuuno to pack more underwear when going on trips in the future.
- Noble Demon: Jail's goals now involve reminding how bad Mazoku are, even if he's seen as a villain.
- Noodle Incident: Just before Lina is about to reveal her magical talents to Nanoha, Lina assures Shiro it won't be like that incident in China. The trope is then averted in the New arc, where Lina explains that a bodyguard job ended with a mountain and part of the Great Wall of China vaporized when Lina decided to test her Nemesis Breaker spell on the demon that was after their client. It is also hinted she did something to the Clover group for what they did to Shiro.
- This trope is FURTHER averted in the Red arc as Lina tells Luna exactly what she did to the Clover group.
- Whatever Dynast did to Zelas in the past is never fully explained. At least... until the Red arc.
- Lina mentioned several more incidents involving the Pope, mecha-piloting Leprechauns, and Oompa Loompas during her European honeymoon (the latter two also serving as a Shout-Out to Gold Digger).
- No Periods, Period: Averted: As part of the Wolkenritter becoming mortal, Vita now has to go through puberty and the joys of the monthly. This is not the reason the fanfic was entitled ''Blood That Flows''.
- Not Blood Siblings: Fate being adopted by Lina doesn't keep her from having a relationship with Nanoha.
- Not So Different: While standing near one of the sites of the Holocaust death camps, Xellos remarks to Sirius that Mazoku and Shinzoku are both reliant on humans for survival.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: A number of characters come across far less dangerous than they really are upon first glance, notable is Lina (who's a lot more mellow than she was in canon), Nanoha (who's seen being mischievous quite often), Reinforce Zwei (who's so incredibly cute, bubbly and energetic that you want to take her home), and Caro (who's so cute that people say is too cute sometimes.)
- Vita probably takes the cake by the StrikerS arc, simply because she'd rather be out partying, going on dates, having fun with said dates, riding her motorcycle and generally relaxing. Despite this, she's arguably the strongest mage in the Riot Force physically, is quite willing to provoke her friends into a sparring match where she's at a disadvantage, and has enough raw sexuality to make someone who disliked her suddenly start crushing on her.
- Older and Wiser: Lina, after spending 15 years on Earth. When she reunites with her friends, they are surprised at how changed she is.
- Exemplified in the Red arc where Luna's inaction could have cost Arf, Arisa and Suzuka their lives. Instead of losing her temper at Luna, Lina dismisses Luna and later takes her to a place where Luna can see the potential results of her actions.
- Our Zombies Are Different: The Mariage are undead women who look completely identical, can morph their arms into various weapons, move so fast that even augmented humans have a hard time following their movements, cut down barriers with ease and explode when they've had enough.
- Outside-Context Villain: The TSAB were blindsided by the appearance of the Mazoku of their universe, mostly because the Mazoku kept their involvement a secret as they brought down the precursor civilizations before them.
- More specifically, Garoth is this in the A's arc for the Nanoha side of the cast. His Dragon is a bit of a subversion, as the end of the arc reveals she's Alicia Testarossa, who Came Back Wrong.
- The inverse is expected to hit Levi hard, with increasing involvement of Mazoku and Shinzoku from the Red World as well as Dark Star and Vorfeed reborn on the Blue World.
- Overshadowed by Awesome:
- Pre-StrikerS Nove feels this way when she compares herself to her sisters.
- Teana feels this way and makes it known after she gets manhandled by Riksfalto, combined with this comment.
Kuma:Listen, little missy, at this level, only the freaks of nature can survive, if you're normal, you're likely to get hurt.
- Pals with Jesus: Lina's golden eye is a direct link to the Lord of Nightmares. She has one-sided conversations with 'the Lady'.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Einhart goes to some lengths to try and avoid this by using her adult form to become male. Unfortunately, by retaining her long hair in the form, she only succeeds in confusing people about her gender, much to Nove's dismay.
- Parents Walk In at the Worst Time: Yunno catches Caro and Erio in bed together.
- Past-Life Memories: Val is beginning to remember some of his life as Valgaav, and in particular, of Gaav himself.
- Patchwork Fic: The fourth arc New and then the fifth arc, Try (the author wanted to make the arc be named Try but was lazy when posting to the message boards), involves blending the plot of the Slayers TRY season with elements, characters, and plots of the Knights of the Aqualord manga and the second half of the original Slayers Light Novel series. The result, a Thirty Xellos... err... Xanatos Pileup. This was due to the author unable to decide which storyline to go with.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Nila Vesnire is revealed to have this when her hooded cloak is shredded. She ends up talking more as well.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Levi artifically ages Lutecia while she's in a tube. By the time she awake, she's a six-year-old with a teenager's body.
- Polyamory: It was Filia who push for the three-way relationship between her, Chrono, and Amy. The same Filia who first thought of Chrono as an unrepentant pervert.
- Yuuno's relationship with Nanoha, Fate and Miyuki, to the point where they're all living in the same house and raising Erio, Caro and Vivio.
- Premature Eulogy: Lina returns to her home world only to here that Seyruun just held a funeral for her, and finds her family holding a wake for her. She does admit, though, given that she had been consumed by the Lord of Nightmares, no one should have expected her to return alive.
- Put on a Bus: Every main character in the Dusk arc, allowing the author to explore the minor and secondary characters more.
- Race Against the Clock: For the defenders of Seyruun against the Mazoku horde led by Luke-Shabranigdo, they have two-and-a-half hours from the beginning of the battle till a TSAB fleet arrives, in which the Arc en Ciel equipped ships will begin to purge the area.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: This is definitely played straight in universe. As mentioned above, Quattro/Levi was already looked as no quite right by the other numbers, Duo beings to get even more suspicious as Lutecia spends time with her, and acting like an overly devout servant. This gets cemented in the fanbase when Levi, now fully possessing Quattro, rapes Reinforce Eins into a state of obedient catatonia.
- Reality Warper: The high-ranking Mazoku in general, but special mention goes to Death Bringer and Huraker.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Hayate in the StrikerS arc. Surprisingly, Regius as well.
- Red Herring Twist: Initially it looks like Lina will be able to revive Alicia, but then a few scenes later we learn she failed. Then subverted when we learn Alicia was already brought back...as a Mazoku.
- Retired Badass: Lina was content to just settling down and run a business like her parents, especially in a world where few things needed the use of her magic. Then the Jewel Seed incident happened...
- Revenge by Proxy: Valgaav was convinced to target Nanoha instead of targeting Lina directly. Unfortunately for him, Raising Heart had a new upgrade that made Nanoha a not-so-easy target.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: It was revealed that after the incident that sent Shiro to the hospital, Lina decided to kill every known member of the Clover terrorist group. Part of this was misplaced guilt that she could have done something about them after the attack on the Fuwa clan reunion. Needless to say, several hundreds died at her hand within a span of a week. This was the last time she lost control of her temper.
- Running Gag: Lina's now modest breast size being felt up or commented on while back in her world.
- Mr. Snuggles, the world's most unlucky cat.
- He's now considered the most awesome cat in the world after Jail turns him into a cybernetic familiar for Sette.
- Thoth's perverted comments and Yuuno's reaction to them.
- COWS! Poor Dieci.
- Schedule Slip: Comparatively speaking, when the author was posting at his peak, he was getting two to three, and sometimes up to five chapters a day done. The posting speed has dropped to maybe two to four times a week at best.
- Sealed Good in a Can and Sealed Evil in a Can: The Blue Dragon God and Chaotic Blue sealed each other away. This is the biggest problem with Garoth's plan, as it hinges on that the pillar he found actually contains his master and not his master's enemy. He is killed without succeeding in getting the pillar broken, so nobody knows for sure.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: The Lord of Nightmare's punishment for both Dark Star and Vorfeed.
- Arisa Bannings is revealed to have a fragment of the Blue Dragon God inside her.
- Secret Test of Character: Fire Dragon Lord Vrabazard gives one to Yunno to see if he's worthy of wielding Vrabazard's holy power.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: Filia was temporary locked in human form by the corrupted Golden Dragons.
- Shout-Out: Lina flat-out states that she's a mecha fan, and at the end of the first season, she adopts a pose that would make Master Asia proud.
- Shower of Awkward: Early in the Red Arc, due to a lot of steam, Yunno thinks the bath is unoccupied, when in fact Miyuki was in it. Yunno quickly thinks he's going to end up hurt. Instead, it seems to spark Miyuki's interest in Yuuno.
- Significant Anagram: During the Revolution arc, the kids meets an informant of Lyos, a sorceress who rarely speaks and her face obscured by the cloak she wears. Her name? Nila Vesnire. Now if the letters of her name are rearranged, a very familiar name can be put together.
- Skinship Grope: Hayate and Sein who else?
- Something Only They Would Cast: Lina proves to her parents that she isn't a Mazoku doppelganger by casting a Dragon Slave. Mazoku can't call on powers higher than themslves as it would be admitting they are weak and therefore end up absorbed by the Mazoku they are trying to call upon.
- Couldn't she have used a Ragna Blade or something, instead? Same principle, only it would have had less collateral damage.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Precia, who is taken into custody after being introduced to Lina's Nemesis Breaker spell, a Dragon Slave variant that calls upon the Dark Lord Chaotic Blue. She ends up dying at the end of the Shine arc, and after that given a proper funeral, a funeral that even Jail attends. And even then it is not the last time we may see her. See Irony above.
- Reinforce, after Lina purges the device of the corrupt defense program. Despite this, Reinforce Zwei is still created as the original can only safely Unison with Hayate now. This almost becomes subverted in the StrikerS arc when Reinforce seems to get killed by Hayate for good.
- Mazoku generals Riksfalto and Sherra, who died in the Aqualord manga and novels, respectively.
- Zest and Quint both survived what killed them in canon, but end up in a state where they can't serve the TSAB as they are, in order to keep some things close to the original canon. However, this and earlier changes in history keep Regius from being killed as well.
- In Sound Stage X, while Ixpellia doesn't die, the original canon had her fall into a regenerative sleep from which she wouldn't awake for a thousand years after the incident. The fanfic instead has Arashi infuse her with Chaos energy. As a result, she is now living with the Saint Church. The affects of being energized with Chaos, however, have yet to be truly explored.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: A more literal example: after Teana destroys a couple Megahs with Sein's help, she immediately turns on Sein and punches her twice and slaps her once for her betrayals, then kisses her for saving her in the first place from the Megah. And then arrests her.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The Nanoha cast compared to the Slayers cast, barring Lina. And among the Slayers-verse characters, the Mazoku compared to everyone else. This is due to the fact the remaining human cast of Slayers only show up in Slayer-centric plotlines so far, and there is not much in terms of Slayers plots to adapt, barring the REVOLUTION and EVOLUTION-R storylines, while most of the post TRY arcs have been focused on the buildup to the fic's version of StrikerS.
- With the REVOLUTION season being adapted, it looks like the Slayers-verse characters are going to be relevant again.
- Stripperiffic: In her first appearance, the human form of Earth Lord Rangort is described as a dark skinned, light haired, top heavy female wearing a bikini-like outfit.
- Suicide Mission: Going up to fight a high ranking Mazoku, or worse, one of the Demon Kings like Ruby Eye, is pretty much suicide.
- Worse, the TSAB has a mission classification for this, showing that they have dealt with such missions in the past. Its classification: X Class.
- Super Mode: Nanoha's Assault Mode, which can safely channel Nanoha's internal Chaos powers for about five minutes, and Fate's Rubin Blitz form, both designed to aid in combating Mazoku. Quint and Zest's Devices were updated with a new Blast Mode armor form, with the material derived from reverse-engineering the Blast Sword.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Nanoha when forced into tapping into her innate Chaos magic abilities.
- Super Speed: Straight Kuma (Cougar), whose ability is the same from s-CRY-ed, running so fast he turns the ground to glass and is faster than Fate. Although if he overuses it, he can't walk right for a while.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Well, Xellos and Rangort weren't expecting daughters between them, given how their specices actually procreate, much less procreate with each other.
- In a darker moment Garoth reveals that the Saint Kaiser was pregnant with Klaus' child. Emphasis on the 'was' as he terminated said pregnancy before ending the Saint Kaiser's life.
- When Hayate is introduced to Reinforce Zwei (who calls Hayate her father, no less), she promptly faints. To be fair, Reinforce was also certain that Unison devices couldn't get pregnant.
- At the end of the Red arc Amy and Filia reveal that they are both pregnant with Chrono's children. Chrono had the same reaction as Hayate.
- After Quint has the Chaos energy removed from her body, she discovers she's now pregnant. It's implied that her desires for children that she actually conceived directed that energy to repair her reproductive organs.
- At the end of SSX, Hayate gets surprised again, although this time she's the one pregnant! How that happened isn't explained, but probably has to do how she was Unisoned with Reinforce for quite some time after the Cradle incident.
- Team Dad: Kuma, to Amitie and Kyrie.
- Tempting Fate: No, not Fate T. Inverse. After a meal at an all-you-can-eat buffet, Yunno hoped they can relax for the day and have nothing crazy like an airport fire happen. Hayate bet her current pair of panties against that. Guess what happened.
- The Cameo: Naga shows up at the end of the Try Arc, much to Lina and Amelia's shock.
- The Call Put Me On Hold: Interestingly, The Pope was able to tell that Nanoha would be very special in the future.
- The Dragon: Lots of 'em, but Levi in particular while Garoth was alive.
- The End of the World as We Know It: In Shine, it seems the world of Lost Universe lives up to its name, somewhat, with it going through the Big Crunch and then the Lord of Nightmares hitting the Reset Button on it, sans Mazoku and Shinzoku.
- The Internet Is for Porn: Played for Laughs when Einhart explains how she managed to use transformation magic to turn herself into an anatomically correct male for the purpose of fighting random people in the streets.
- The Maiden Name Debate: Instead of taking the last name Takamachi, Fate decides to take Lina's maiden name when being adopted.
- The Mole: Sein, with Due already exposed back in the Shine arc, and unable to fulfill her canon role. This time however, Sein is roommates with Subaru and Teana.
- Theme Music Power-Up: Word of God says that the Slayers REVOLUTION opening song Plenty of Grit would have played during Lina and Nanoha's double team against the Book of Darkness. Lina knows of this trope due to the fact she watches Humongous Mecha anime. Magical girl anime, not so much. Too cheesy for her.
- There Are No Coincidences: Lina's opinion on continuous events happening around her life. Justified by having met and interacted with the Lord of Nightmares several times: as an example Lina was thrown over a decade back in time, just enough time for being back to her homeworld when the fusion of Dark Star and Vorfeed is arriving to the Red World so she could kill them and eventually have their reincarnations/seals join her family as adopted grandchildren. The fact that L-sama has admitted to having fun watching Lina's life and its repercussions only reinforces that opinion.
- Lampshaded in Vivid, when Fate learns about a prophecy that seems to talk about Vivio, Einhart, and Ixpellia.
- It also appears that Arashi was included in that prophecy if the term "Scion of Gold" is applicable due to his natural use of Chaos Magic.
- The Reveal: Death Bringer Garoth's priestess being Alicia at the end of the A's arc.
- The Slow Path: As it turns out, not only Lina was sent to another world, but sent back in time as well. Had she managed to return to home universe on her own, she would have found herself in her own past.
- The Starscream: Quattro was this to Levi.
- The Talk: Lindy gives this to Chrono, and later, Hayate. And since this is Lindy, the recipients can only twitch.
- The Tease: Well, Yuuno keeps seeing Miyuki without a shirt for some reason...
- The Triads and the Tongs: Zelas ends up in control of the majority of Hong Kong's underworld, all because she killed some two-bit thugs for harrasing her and decided to go up the hierarchy.
- Think Nothing of It: Xellos would rather not accept any gratitude from the slaves he inadvertently saved. Praise makes a Mazoku sick, after all. Turns into a Running Gag as everything Xellos tries to do to make things worse for people or make them feel bad ends up helping someone else out in return.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Zelgadis learns how to temporary take on a human form from observing Arf's shape shifting. His chimera body is his true form still, but it's closer to a cure than he's ever had before.
- Time Skip: The Red arc has a two year time skip, jumping to when Nanoha is 14.
- Time to Unlock More True Potential: Zelgadis didn't like the idea that he was ignored by the Mazoku assassins in favor of the mages Lina brought, so he decided to head for Mid-Childa as well to learn new magical styles in exchange for his magical knowledge. He becomes a renowed instructor.
- Token Evil Teammate: Quattro due to Levi's influence. Already couple of the other Numbers feel something's wrong with her, and some are harbouring thoughts of doing something mean to Quattro without feeling guilty about it. She solidified it by helping to kill Jail and Uno.
- Took a Level in Badass: Yunno having learned Shamanistic magic and Resurrection, as well as nearly killing Riksfalto with a modified Ra Tilt, earning him an audience with Vrabazard. Since then, those in the know are already calling him the next Great Sage.
- Arisa and Suzuka are both capable of harming Mazoku, though for different reasons.
- Even the canon badass characters from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha take a level and become even more so.
- Too Much Information: Lina is not amused when Xellos talks about his unintended conquest of Rangort with unnecessary details, especially in front of 12-year old Fate.
- Touched by Vorlons: Not only did the aftermath of the Hellmaster incident tossed Lina through time and space, but a fragment of the Lord of Nightmare's being is infused into her soul. Nanoha has her own fragment, having inherited from her mother, and Hayate and Reinforce got theirs when the Book of Darkness drew from Nanoha's linker core. Nanoha's younger brother was also infused with L-Sama's essence as well, with Lina casting the Ragna Blade and attempting a Giga Slave during the first weeks of her pregnancy.
- Training from Hell:
- Lina puts Nanoha and Yunno through this.
- Then her sister Luna puts Arisa through one as well.
- And Shiro subjects Suzuka to this in order allow her to control her strength.
- Trying Not to Cry: Lina when she first met Zelgadis and Amelia in the story.
- The Unfettered: When Chrono is put in charge of the Riot Force, he orders Nanoha to take down the Combat Cyborgs by any means necessary as they couldn't take any more chances. Levi returning actually helps by forcing an Enemy Mine.
- Unhand Them, Villain!: When a Mazoku holds Rio hostage, Nove demands that he let her go. He does, and then blasts her through the torso in mid-air. And this is followed by a another magical blast that sends her over a cliff, followed by several other lethal magic blasts after her as she fell.
- Unstoppable Rage: After the Wolkenritter begins absorbing power from Nanoha's Linker Core, Nanoha becomes consumed by her own fragment of Chaos, and begins to punish the Wolkenritter for hurting her in painful ways. This prompts both Fate and Yunno to try to stop her, only for her to turn on them until her mother canceled her Chaos powers. Nanoha would have nightmares after this incident, made worse with Death Bringer's involvement.
- Cinque goes through this herself when Zest injures Due and Tre.
- Events in the story hint that having some of the Lord of Nightmares' Chaos energy enhances a person's rage, causing the person to become a berserker if left unchecked. Nanoha, Cinque and Dieci have all suffered this.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Suzuka is revealed to have some sort of superhuman strength and magical power and it was recently revealed that she could beat Vita; however, the exact details of such a victory are unknown as the author has specifically stated that there was no context to the win and they could have easily had been arm wrestling.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Rein Zwei once rode in Vita's cleavage.
- She also gets Agito to do it with her one time.
- Villains Out Shopping: When the Mazoku discover Earth, they decide to go on vacation there. Evil activities are kept to a minimum. Except for Xellos who really tries to be evil while on Earth and winds up being a hero multiple times.
- Was Once a Man: Reinforce Eins used to be human, before becoming the corrupted Living Weapon. Levi's Evil Plan involves discovering this process, so she can mass produce Unison Devices for her army of Megahs.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Jail created his Numbers while planing to fight against Mazoku. Had this been revealed to the protagonists even earlier, they may not have to fight each other.
- Wham Episode: ViVid suddenly ends when out of nowhere a being, either a Mazoku or Shinzoku, forcably teleports the kids and Nove to another world (later revealed as the Red World) just as the kids were about to join the mock battles with the adults.
- Wham Line: In StrikerS...
Jail:I remembered... I remembered the location... Of Al Hazard.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: Blood Knight Riksfalto has a case of this in regards to Yuuno, the boy who nearly killed her. Near-defeat means love?
- Worf Barrage: While present in both series, the fanfic takes it Up to Eleven when Dark Star survives an Arc-En-Ciel blast.
- Wrong Turn at Albuquerque Corona should have made that turn at Allenburky.
- You Are Not Alone: In the battle against Garoth, Lina finds herself nearly beaten, when she imagines her old True Companions telling her to not give up, since that was never her style.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Filia chooses to leave the Red World, believing there's no place for her there anymore due to her actions and the actions of her clan. Lindy allows her to stay with her on Earth.
- You Have No Chance to Survive: Death Bringer Garoth gives one to the populous under the TSAB.
Death Bringer Garoth:You people, who have lived here for years in relative peace, know nothing of the terrors as society falls, crumbling away to dust. You think that your precious Bureau can protect you, and yet, your precious Bureau is completely helpless against me. So, just sit back, relax and enjoy your last few moments before I destroy your entire world. Oh, I know you don't believe me, so, how about a small sample?
- Zombie Apocalypse: The SSX arc.