Fan Fic: Relationships Series
"It wouldn't surprise me if Nanoha, Fate and Yuuno suddenly showed up one day and told everyone that they were in a three-way relationship."
A fanfiction series that was started in late August of 2009 between two authors Nanya
, taking place between the events of Nanoha StrikerS
and Striker S Sound Stage X
. It started with a joke from an earlier work of Nanya's, making light of the two vying ships in the series, and evolved into a lengthy story with an extensive plot involving all of the characters introduced throughout the first three seasons of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
The plot starts up with Yuuno, Nanoha and Fate telling their families that they've been in a three-way relationship for a few months now. The plot goes on to explore the troubles that the trio has with Nanoha and Fate both being pregnant and continual pressure from their bosses to have someone cover for Fate and Nanoha in their respective fields. Lots of small plots come up but are seemingly taken care of quickly while a larger plot unfolds in the background.
The first three one-shots Relationships
can be read in any order and flesh out how the three got together. The following Pregnancy
is set a few months after the last moment of the previous one-shots. There is a fifth one-shot called Pain
that follows a What If?
scenario that came up but was never followed up on seriously. It has two possible endings.Day in the Life
started as a series of snapshots into everyone's lives that built upon each other but has slowly turned into something more.
Between August and December of 2009, the two authors managed to write a very impressive amount of fanfiction for this series.
This series comes well recommended
by tropers. Also, despite the fact that there are numerous female characters present, there is several heterosexual romantic interactions. It's not limited to just yuri with a side of YuuNanoFate.
There are a lot of shipping tropes found in this fanfiction series. So much in fact that you could probably look at all the shipping tropes found on this site and still think that you didn't cover all of them.
After a three-month
hiatus, Nanya has confirmed that RadiantBeam is no longer working on the story, and thus future chapters will be written by Nanya alone.Day in the Life
is officially over and a sequel is promised.
Tropes found The Relationships Series:
- All Just a Dream: Reinforce I does this for Hayate at one point
- All There in the Manual: Not for the story itself, but the two authors have spent a LOT of time apparently finding translations for the Sound Stages and manga and utilizing the information there for plot points.
- Alt Fic: Look at the sheer off-the-wall pairings there are.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Diverges off from the end of StrikerS. To be fair to both authors, Force hadn't gone anywhere when they started and even Vivid hadn't gone anywhere by the time they reached their 25th chapter, despite that, there are still references to ViVid in the story.
- An Axe to Grind: Signum happens to be on the wrong end of the character with this weapon.
- Angst: A surprising amount, or maybe not, considering who the authors are, permeates this fanfiction series, particularly in former villains dwelling on their crimes. Still doesn't detract from how good it is.
- Author Appeal: Certain arts and fanarts inspired some chapters of the story.
- Ax-Crazy: Sable comes across as this pretty easily, as does the car crazy Weasel
- Bad Ass Creed: Shamal and Reinforce Zwei BOTH get one.
- Badass Family: Nanoha, Fate and Yuuno become a family, how is that NOT badass? Especially with Yuuno coming to Miyuki's defense in Pain's happy ending, while looking like he's one foot into the grave.
- Beach Episode: Ties in with Author Appeal
- Big Damn Heroes: Shamal and Reinforce Zwei jump to the aid of Zafira, Agito and Hayate when they need it the most, complete with a Bad Ass Creed
- Big Eater: Erio, Subaru, Ginga, Nove
- Genya's worried that Touma will eat just as much as his daughters do.
- Blow You Away: Teana does this to space pirates when unisoned with Teela
- Car Fu: The "Escape" arc in Day In The Life includes a villain known by his nickname "Weasel," who is not only an absolute terror on the roads but also knows how to cause death and destruction with any kind of automotive transport.
Weasel: Speed, faster, zoom! EXPLODE!
- Catapult Nightmare: Fate does this.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Started as a joke, steadily became darker and more serious with each chapter, while still somehow keeping things funny, fluffy and light.
- Chaste Hero: Averted. Unless they're young, most everyone in this series is, or has been, sexually active at one point and doesn't mind going out on dates. The only ones that this trope seems to apply to is Hayate and Vita; the former does harbor romantic feelings for some people and the latter doesn't seem to be interested in romance at all.
- Character Development: A LOT goes on. One of the earliest chapters deals with Nove being unsure on her feelings and Lindy's efforts to help her deal with them.
- Cliff Hanger: Later chapters leave plot threads for the next chapter to clear up.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Vivio has some shades of this. Fate gets a moment of it herself.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Vivio does this to Ixy as she sleeps at the church as a Shout-Out to when she did that in Vivid.
- Crack Fic: Started that way.
- Dark Fic: Seems to be veering that way
- Day In The Life: The core part of the "Relationships" series is actually titled this.
- Deadly Upgrade: Teana when she Unisons with Teela for the first time. Turns out that Teela was dying and started leeching off of Teana's life force to extend her life. It's later revealed that Teana and Teela have a limited amount of time that they can stay unisoned. Exemplified in chapter 38, when Teana gains the upper hand while unisoned, but soon her body starts giving out on her, forcing her to drop the unison, leaving her weakened and tired.
- Dead Person Conversation: chapter 40 has Miyuki talking to Due in the land of the dead.
- Did Not Get the Girl:
- Hayate's been in love with Nanoha for a long time, but never said anything and lost her to Fate and Yuuno when they slept together. Eventually, at the end of Day in the Life, she confesses to Nanoha and kisses her, though she backs off afterwords, just saying that she wanted to be selfish that once.
- Ginga was once romantically interested in someone, presumably Nanoha, Fate or Yuuno," who “had children and lovers now”.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: Teela creates a small tornado with enough strength to punch through someone's chest and out the back, killing them.
- Deus Exit Machina: Whenever a major fight seemed to pop up in "Day in the Life", Nanoha, Fate, Hayate, and Signum seem to be otherwise occupied. When Signum finally got in on the action against a dangerous opponent, she ended up in the hospital.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Einhart Stratos ends up being saved by Nove in a later chapter. Touma Avenir from Force gets rescued by Subaru earlier than in canon.
- Eye Scream: Vice sniped someone in the eye, is it any surprise?
- Expy: Does anyone else think that Rudal Bernstal comes across as Rugal Bernstein?
- Fanservice: Lots of fanservice, mostly from Wendi, Nove and Ginga
- Fix Fic: Kinda. It's been commented on by various people that they'd prefer this series to be the real canon in terms of characters, relationships and characterization rather than what Vivid and Force is doing.)
- Flash Forward: Both omakes cut to the future and potentially show what life is like while giving vague hints and clues about what happened in their lives so far.
- Flirty Stepsiblings: Wendi, Nove and Ginga
- Foe Yay: Nove and Wendi practically bring this up to Ginga.
- Four Is Death: More like chapter 40 is titled "Death". It's a subversion, as Miyuki survives.
- Genius Breeding Act: The "Higher Ups" were pushing Yuuno to get with Nanoha and trying to keep Fate from being near Nanoha to help this along.
- Generation Xerox: Fate has a nightmare where she turns into Precia.
- Genki Girl: Look no further than the Nakajima clan.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Vita slaps Nanoha as she starts breaking down over the possibility of Yuuno dying in the field before reminding her how determined Yuuno is to return to her and Fate.
- Heroic RROD: The main cause of Yuuno's problems in Pain is the second shield he puts up, which pushes himself too far.
- I Lied: Teana speaks these words when she says that she's not much for close-range combat.
- Ill Girl: The OC Teela is one of these, at first. Hayate is laid up in bed in later chapters. Vivio at one point.
- It's Not You, It's Me: Ginga to Wendi and Nove
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Fate and Yuuno were both going to pull this trope on Nanoha, thankfully a drunken party helped solve that problem.
- I Will Wait for You: Wendi and Nove to Ginga
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Chrono, surprisingly, has a touch of this in the series towards Yuuno. Also the part where he shoots Scaglietti with S2U for suggesting that Fate’s pregnancy means she was a success as an Artificial Mage.
- Lampshade Hanging: Vince combines this with Deadpan Snarker while fighting against Signum.
- Large Ham Both Nanoha and Miyuki like to ham it up on various occassions, Miyuki even gets called out on it.
- Les Yay: So many females, of course there's Les Yay.
- Little Miss Badass: Vita, despite suffering from burns that later need treatment, is able to knock her opponent out, then go look for survivors, where she got blown up, and she still wanted to help when she was dug out of the rubble.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The authors actually do a really good job of remembering so many characters and using them all. There was a chapter where the authors tried to use everyone at the same time. Never happened again.
- Marshmallow Hell: Poor Touma, being only twelve, he tends to be too short when Dieci hugs him.
- Meaningful Funeral: For Yuuno in one of Pain's endings.
- Multiple Endings: In Pain. Yuuno dies in one and lives in the other.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: In the Omake special.
- Not Blood Siblings: Played straight and subverted with Wendi, Nove and Ginga after it's revealed that Nove, Ginga and Subaru have the same biological mother. They are initially unaware of this.
- Not Quite Dead: Signum: "I'm not dead yet."
- Omake Two Omake chapters so far. Moczo added an omake to the end of chapter 40.
- Original Character: Several, despite the fact that both authors dislike Original Characters.
- Parental Substitute: To some degree, Lindy for Nove.
- Playing with Fire: Signum and Agito obviously one of the Original Characters from later chapters as well
- Plot Bunny: Started as this.
- Precision F-Strike:In Pain, Shamal asking Vita “What the hell happened?” to Yuuno shocks her, since it's noted that she doesn't usually swear.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Nove to Cinque. “"How... DARE... YOU... THINK SO LITTLE OF HOW I FEEL?”.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: A group of this has shown up in recent chapters.
- Running Gag:
- Poor Arf and Yuuno. People keep practicing summoning in the Infinity Library and those two keep having to clean up the messes.
- Also, Touma as Memetic Sex God.
- Scars Are Forever: Shamal, from one of her old masters whipping her. Ginga from her fights with Nove and Wendi, as well as with Subaru.
- Science Is Bad: Some scientists are eager to get ahold of Yuuno in order to examine his damaged Linker Core in Pain, and view him as more of a specimen than a human.
- Sequel Hook
- Shipper on Deck: Fate to Erio in "Pregnancy"
- Shout-Out: Considering that both authors have different views, but generally work together, they both throw in shout outs to other fics, particularily Radiant Beam's "Shadow" series, as well as references to Vivid.
- Shotacon: Cinque has traces of this around Erio and Touma.
- Shown Their Work: The amount of nods and tidbits of information about the various Sound stages and Triangle Heart 3 prove that both authors took their time researching the series fully, though they do take some liberties with certain pieces of information.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Subaru is said to be “Teana-sexual” by Ginga, and it’s suggested that she would be attracted to Teana if she were male.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Later chapters has one character that can blow up anything that he touches or stands still long enough.
- Sister Sister Incest: Nove, Wendi, Ginga, hinted that Ginga and Subaru had sexual relations with each other when they were younger, though Ginga denies it happened.
- Suddenly Sexuality: Subverted, Cinque is straight, much to the shock of her bisexual and lesbian sisters. It becomes a Chekhov's Gun later when Cinque sees Touma and starts blushing.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Chapter 17 is this. Understandable since it's the chapter dedicated to Nanoha and Fate giving birth.
- Technobabble: There's a warning about it on one of the chapters.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: A generally non-evil version: The Higher Ups. Interestingly enough, the vagueness isn't because of some "just as planned" moments, but rather because of how no one seems to know how they work and yet everyone does.
- They Do: See Wedding Day below
- Three-Way Sex: Oh, come on, the whole fic series basically started on this premise.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Hayate
- Was It All a Lie?: Ginga to William after he reveals himself as an assassin who wants to kill her for her participation in the mission against the pirates. He notes that he was attracted to her, but he has a job to do
- Wedding Day: Day in the Life ends on this note.
- Women Drivers: A male version of this trope goes completely crazy when he gets behind the wheel of a car. Wendi even states that he's crazier than she is.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Nanoha, Fate and Yuuno.