He'd have worn a Hazmat Suit
, but he's too awesome for that.
"God knows what would happen if you spread Branston Pickle onto
No More Heroes. Possibly the universe would explode. And it would be
"Awesome" is a hazardous substance in fiction. Put too much of it together, and dangerous things can happen. Things will blow up
, heads can explode/implode
, or even the universe could end, all for no other reason than the awesomeness itself
Probably first created by the Rule of Funny
, combined with the fact that explosions are, themselves, awesome (a sort of Transitive Property Of Awesomeness).
of Awesomeness Is a Force
Compare Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot
(making awesome by a combination of cool things), Nerdgasm
, Incendiary Exponent
, Reality-Breaking Paradox
, Testosterone Poisoning
, Big Bulky Bomb
, Readings Blew Up the Scale
, Yin-Yang Clash
, The Power of Rock
, Explosive Overclocking
Compare/Contrast Suckiness Is Painful
open/close all folders
- Segata Sanshiro did a judo throw on a guy so hard that he exploded. Twice.
- In a recent commercial for PS3 motion tracking games, a montage of said games play as a (''real'') operatic duo sings in the background. It all ends when a random houseplant sets on fire, shocking the entire family.
- The Terry Crews Old Spice commercials tend to include random explosions. Makes sense though, you have a buff black man who uses Old Spice. Can't get much more awesome than that. Of course, they're made by Tim and Eric.
- On one occasion Old Spice Guy claimed that if he and his rival Fabio were ever in the same room their combined pizazz would destroy the universe. They did, but thankfully all that happened was a bit of reality rearrangement, some time travel, things went wibbly wobbly, and after a heartfelt speech from Isaiah got past-Fabio to back down, everything went back to normal. *Old Spice jingle whistle*
- Very heavily used in a commercial for Verizon, wherein Michael Bay spent the entire commercial saying how he doesn't just have things, he has awesome things. And every time he points out an awesome piece of furniture, appliance, or even his POOL, it erupts in a huge fireball.
- Nintendo Power will blow up your head, your house, and even the planet itself!
Anime and Manga
- In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Simon and Viral once actually killed an armada of enemies with nothing but the sheer awesome they radiate.
- It is also canonical that, if Spiral Power is overused, the violation of conservation of mass will create a supermassive black hole and end the universe.
- In other words, the sheer amount of Awesomeness in TTGL is actually capable of DESTROYING THE UNIVERSE.
- Lordgenome also repeatedly sets himself on fire by doing awesome things and generally being Lordgenome.
- In The Movie version, everybody gets a Tengen Toppa mecha and poses as a team. A galaxy sized volcano spontaneously forms behind them and erupts/explodes.
- Getter Robo: The combination sequence of the Getter Emperor is apparently so awesome that it generates energy levels equal to the Big Bang and shakes the universe.
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, the most powerful mages have to have Power Limiters attached to them, even more so if they're in a group together. Otherwise, they'd run the risk of having their sheer combined power potentially warping the fabric of reality, which really happened when Nanoha and Fate fought a Beam-O-War Divine Buster to Thunder Smasher back in Season One over a Jewel Seed.
- It's also meant to keep unit power levels moderate. Because, let's face it, Hayate is basically a living magical nuke, Nanoha has more firepower than a battleship and Fate can pretty much beat anything she can touch. Those three alone pretty much constitute an army. And then put all three into the same unit.
- Sengoku Basara. The characters are all so manly and Hot-Blooded that something's bound to spontaneously explode from the sheer overwhelming awesome at least Once an Episode.
- At one point, the release date for Tiger & Bunny's BTB image song was pushed back two weeks. The "official" reason for the delay was that the awesome combination of elements that comprised it produced an unexpected chemical reaction and blew up the sound studio.
- Invoked in Excel Saga when Nabeshin concludes that anything capable of undoing the "Freaky Friday" Flip in the final episode will have to be highly volatile, so he simply lights a stick of dynamite and holds it out toward those affected. It works.
- In Bleach, a villainous Reality Warper accidentally tears his own body apart while trying to imagine himself being stronger than Zaraki Kenpachi. Zaraki is so awesomely powerful that the villain, capable of imagining things like a meteorite crashing on Soul Society and a pocket of the vacuum of space, couldn't imagine being stronger than Zaraki.
- In Kill la Kill, anytime two Three Star Goku Uniform or Kamui users fight, things simply explode. At one point a multi-part explosion was caused simply because Ryuuko and Satsuki were glaring at each other.
- It's very often in Super Sentai / Power Rangers team ups for this to occur: Both teams morph, do an Ass Kicking Pose, and then things behind them explode due to how awesome having both teams morph in the same place at the same time is. Most notable is the In Space / Lost Galaxy team up, which happens right before the two groups whoop the asses of the PSYCHO RANGERS.
- Power Rangers RPM, being one of the more meta series, actually covered this. Ziggy asks Doctor K why things spontaneously blow up behind them when they morph, and she explains it as run-off energy from the morphing process being shunted. In the same episode, Flynn has to fix his malfunctioning morpher, but realizes that doing so will have a lot more feedback than usual. His solution? Weaponize the ensuing henshin explosion and take out a squadron of mooks.
- Also present in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers during the original Ultrazord sequence. There's a massive explosion as the Mega Dragonzord completes its descent into Titanus' carrying bay.
- Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! has a title sequence so awesome that its creators' heads appear to explode into showers of kitten heads. And that's the least concerning thing about the show.
- In iCarly, it's said the two most powerful warrior classes in a World of Warcraft parody can't fight because the resulting epic battle would be so volatile, it'd destroy the multiverse.
- The playfield and backglass for Flight 2000 features asteroids exploding in space, for no other reason other than because they can.
- Mr. Torgue's life philosophy in Borderlands 2: absolutely nothing can't be made better by blowing it the fuck up.
- The Portal of Awesome in Billy Vs SNAKEMAN. If putting two Memetic Badasses together causes that much devastation, imagine what would happen if you did that with seven. If a village's leader is able to open it up, it means the village is about to go down in a blaze of Awesome. Once that happens, everyone in the village gets a bonus, and the leader is allowed to build up an even more awesome village from the ashes. The Wasteland is filled with the fallout of these Awesomizations.
- World of Warcraft introduced the Lethal Joke Character "Bard" class as an April Fools joke. The class would wield an axe called "The Facemelter" whose Power Of Rock was sufficient to melt faces.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Memetic Badass Mike Haggar´s Level 3 Hyper, a Spinning Piledriver, explodes on impact with the ground.