Before a duel begins, one character announces himself to his opponent without any prompting because he wants his target to know who is about to pound him.
Causes can be Genocide Backfire
, You Killed My Father
, or there could be nothing personal and the hero is just doing this For Great Justice
. It can lead to But for Me, It Was Tuesday
This trope is also very common in Japanese anime, manga and videogames regardless of situation: It was part of the Samurai
code of honour to tell your opponent your name before fighting them and not doing so was considered rude.
May directly accompany a Heroic Second Wind
Compare Transformation Name Announcement
, In the Name of the Moon
, I Am X, Son of Y
. See also My Name Is ???
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- When a brainwashed and tortured Wolverine first recovers his memories and powers in the "Insane in the Brain" storyline:
This is your last chance, Patient X. Do you hear me? Patient X? Wolverine:
No... (snikt) Wolverine:
My name... is Logan!
- This gem from Superman: Man of Steel #96 in 2000, as Eradicator was trying to get him to turn away from his Human upbringing.
Superman: My name is Clark Kent. Get out of my home. Get off my planet.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Promise, after someone throws a rock at Sokka, Toph comes to defend him with this:
"That's it! Don't you dunderheads know who I am? I'm Toph Bei Fong, the greatest earthbender of all time! When my friend tells you to calm down, you calm down!"
- This classic from 'The Mighty Thor' Vol 1, #379 in 1987, by Thor himself to Jormungand.
But I have many names, serpent, even as you. Vingthor the Hurler, Longbeard's Son, have I been called. Hrodr's foeman, too. In Tyr's ancestral home, wisest Hymir knew my name as Veur; unhappy Hrungnir's playmate some have called me. East of Elvigar in Gianthome they whisper Hloriddi's name. My father called me son. My mother called me darling. And beneath the vaults of Heaven, I am Thor Odinson, the Thunderer, Jormungand's Fear!
Films — Animation
- Monsters vs. Aliens: "My Name... is Ginormica!"
- Brave: "I am Merida, firstborn of the Clan DunBroch. And I'll be shooting for my own hand!"
- The Book of Life: "My name is Joaquin! Son of Captain Mondragon! Tonight, the town of San Angel, is under my protection. Prepare to be defeated."
Films — Live-Action
- In The Princess Bride, this happens just like in the book. Inigo begins repeating it, first barely louder than a murmur because of his injuries. He soon progresses to nearly screaming it.
Rugen: Stop saying that!
- "The name is Bond. James Bond."
- In The Godfather Part II, Young Vito Corleone/Andolini confronts an elderly Don Ciccio, who killed his parents when Vito was a boy. Don Ciccio asks "Tell me, who was your father?" Vito replies "My father was Antonio Andolini, and this is for you!" He then proceeds to stab him and start a gunfight.
- From Gladiator:
- Occupation version: in the second Night at the Museum, Larry finishes his fight with Kahmunrah with "I'm the nightguard".
- "I am Batman!" Done at least once per continuity. Take a look. And this is still not all of them
- The NeverEnding Story: "If we're about to die anyway, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me, G'mork! I am Atreyu!"
- "This is Constantine. John Constantine... asshole."
- Apocalypto: "I am Jaguar Paw, Son of Flint Sky. My father hunted this forest before me. My name is Jaguar Paw, I am a hunter. This is my forest, and my sons will hunt it with their sons after I am gone. Come on! COME ON!!"
- The Island: "My name is Lincoln!!!"
- The first Transformers movie. To clear up all that "N.B.E.-01"/"Ice Man" nonsense the worthless human insects have been calling him, the leader of the Decepticons announces himself: "I AM MEGATRON!"
- X-Men: The Last Stand "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!"
- The Matrix: "My name. Is. Neo!"
- Mortal Kombat: After Shang Tsung tries for the second time to drag someone else into the final fight:
- Beautifully subverted in Once Upon a Time in the West. Harmonica never tells Frank his name. When Frank demands to know, he gives him plenty of names, but none of them his.
Frank: Who are you?
Harmonica: Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood.
Frank: More dead men.
Harmonica: They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
- Played straight, however in A Few Dollars More, where Mortimer called out Indio with "Colonel Douglas Mortimer, Indio - does that name mean anything to you!"
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: "The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones."
- Pulp Fiction: "I'm Winston Wolf. I Solve Problems." And then he does.
- "Terry Sugury's my name, but some people call me The Streetfighter."
- In the famous finale of Inglourious Basterds:
Shoshana: My name is Shoshana Dreyfus, and this is the face...of Jewish vengeance!
- Star Trek
John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause, a smokescreen to conceal my true identity. My name is... KHAN.
Clark: My name is Clark Kent.
Clark, "reprogrammed" by Jor-El: I am Kal-El from Krypton.
- A chilling example from Harvest: "My name is Lex."
Duncan: I am Duncan Mcleod, of the clan Mcleod.
- Scrubs does this in Season 7's "Finale", where Dr. Cox is telling a Bedtime story to his son. Cox, as a brave knight, says to a monster (in reality an illness affecting a patient):
Cox: My name is Percival Cox. You're killing my friend. Prepare to die.
- Babylon 5
"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."
- Doctor Who: The Doctor himself has done this on many occasions, especially post-Time War when he is the only living Time Lord. Some examples:
- In Andromeda's "Music of a Distant Drum", a season one episode. Tyr loses his memory after a crash, and slowly regains it bit by bit. When he finally remembers:
- NCIS Season 7, episode 1 does this with a slight twist. Towards the end, after McGee tries and fails to kill Saleem, Tony says to Saleem, "I told you about every member of the team, except myself. The part I play... I'm the wild card. I'm the guy who looks at the reality in front of him and refuses to accept it." (Technically Tony tells Saleem his name much earlier, but this is the point where he really tells Saleem WHO he is, and right before Saleem is killed.)
- Done as strait as an arrow in season 8, episode 23 with Mike Franks' last stand.
Franks: My name is Mike Franks! I figure I got one more fight in me... You want it?
- Seinfeld: In the episode where George does the opposite of what he normally does, he meets an attractive woman. Since George normally gives fake identities when meeting people, he ends up doing this. It actually works
George: Hi, my name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.
- Nikita: Alex does this to Vlad, the man who sold her into white-slavery.
Alex: I am Alexandra Udinov, daughter of Nicholai Udinov. And this is your reward.
- Mook Guard: You work, and you live. That is all. You do not complain or laugh or do anything besides work. Whatever you thought, whatever you were does not matter. You are no one now. You mean nothing. (to boy) Who are you?
- Skins does this in series four. Arguably Katie's Crowning Moment of Awesome.
Katie: I'm Katie fucking Fitch, who the fuck are you?
- LOST: Season 5, episode 12, Ben Linus upon approaching Penny Widmore: "Hello. My name is Benjamin Linus". He wasn't prepared to duel her, though; He was about to kill her when Desmond, whom he just tried to neutralized by shooting him, attacked him from behind.
- Mitchell from Being Human uses a non-violent version of the same style of threat to get a room full of Vampires to shut up and listen to him.
My name is John Mitchell! And I've killed more people than you've met.
- The way that D'Artagnan introduces himself to Athos in the 2014 BBC version The Musketeers so closely mimics Inigo Montoya that it's virtually a Shout-Out to fans of The Princess Bride, but this is actually a subversion of the You Killed My Father trope since Athos has been framed and later D'Artagnan will work with Aramis and Porthos to prove his innocence, naturally becoming Fire-Forged Friends in the process.
: I'm looking for Athos. Athos
: You've found him. D'Artagnan
: My name is D'Artagnan of Lupiac in Gascony. Prepare to fight. One of us dies here. Aramis
: (ironically) Now that's the way to make an entrance
: Can I ask why? D'Artagnan
: You murdered my father. Athos
: You're mistaken. I'm not the man you're looking for. D'Artagnan
: (charging with his sword drawn)
- Johnny Cash as the title character singing "A Boy Named Sue" when he meets his father, who gave him that name that caused guys to beat him to a pulp: "My name is Sue. How do you do? Now you're gonna die!"
- Also, Johnny Cash at the start of every show he ever did:
"Hello. I'm Johnny Cash."
- In The Distillers' "The Young Crazed Peeling", one of the lines in the first verse of the song goes like this:
My name is Brody, I'm from Melbourne
Fitzroy Melbourne, Fitzroy Melbourne
I grew up on Bell St. then on Bennett St.
My mom kicked out my dad for battery
Myths & Religion
- In The Odyssey, Odysseus just kicked the butt out of a Cyclops, Polyphemos. As he leaves he brilliantly declares "Kyklops,/if ever mortal man inquire/how you were put to shame and blinded, tell him/Odysseus, raider of cities, took your eye:/Laertes' son, whose home's on Ithaka!" He may as well have given him the precise longitude and lattitude of his house, and just thrown in his social security number, too.
- Protip: if you live in Greece's "Age of Heroes" and you're already well acquainted with several mean-tempered gods, wounding the son of Poseidon is almost as dumb as killing Inigo Montoya's dad.
- Saying hello and introducing himself was the gimmick of Dolph Ziggler in WWE up until he met Vince McMahon, who wanted to know who he was but Dolph was to flabbergasted to answer.
- Boogeyman wants you to know who he is and that he's coming to get you.
- Chrono Trigger has Frogs' heroic speech. "My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!"
- Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep: "My name is Master Aqua. Now return my friend's heart or pay the price!"
- Mass Effect has countless great moments, but a great Moment Of Awesome is in the third game when Wrex leads the Krogans to take back the nuclear wastelands of their Death World Tuchanka from the Reapers, just after they got a cure for the disease that drove them to the brink of extinction:
- The Secret Of Monkey Island has "My name is Guybrush Threepwood! Prepare to die!"
- Shadows Of The Damned brings us: "My name is Garcia Hotspur, hunter of demons, my wrath is your hell!"
- Hakumen from BlazBlue does this all the time.
Hakumen: I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen! The end has come!
- Used by Viktor Reznov in Call of Duty: Black Ops during the Rebirth Island Mission when you break into Friedrich Steiner's Lab. Only, it's not Reznov who said it, but Mason.
Reznov: My name is Viktor Reznov. AND I WILL HAVE. MY. REVENGE!!''
- Assassin in Fate/stay night introduces himself formally on initiating a duel, though he doesn't insist Saber identify herself.
- In Super Robot Wars, anyone who's about to be on the receiving end of Sanger's BFS will at least get to know that "I am Sanger Zonvolt, the sword that cleaves evil!" Wodan Ymir does pretty much the same thing.
- Sir Ano does this in one of the Oaklore quests in Dragon Fable.
Sir Ano: My name is Sir Ano de Berg'rac. You're planning to kidnap my princess. Prepare to die.
- Ezio in Assassins Creed II after he stabs Uberto Alberti to death: "The Auditore are not dead! I'm still here! ME! Ezio! Ezio Auditore!"
- From Fire Emblem, we get KIERAN, LEADER OF THE FIFTH PLATOON OF THE CRIMEAN ROYAL KNIGHTS! / SECOND COMMANDER OF THE CRIMEAN ROYAL KNIGHTS!.
- Dwarf Fortess does this in Adventure Mode with anyone you can talk to, especially the ones you've been sent to kill. Speeches typically have their name, relation to other histrorical figures, kill list, and then the obligatory "prepare to die" if they're trying to kill you.
- Gruntz: when a grunt carries a sword and is forced to walk around non-stop for longer periods of time, you can hear him saying this: "My name is Grunt Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
- From Xenoblade, Dunban says sometimes the following in battle :
Dunban: I am Dunban! Attack me, if you dare!
- Inverted in Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 6; when Erika delivers her dramatic introduction to Crowning Music, the battle is already over, she's lost badly and is prepared to die. She uses a similar line as a straight example for an intro in Ougon Musou.
My name is Imigo Toyota! You killed my lawyer!