"Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."Before a duel begins, one character announces himself to his opponent without any prompting because he wants his target to know who is about to pound him. Causes can be Genocide Backfire, You Killed My Father, or there could be nothing personal and the hero is just doing this For Great Justice. It can lead to But for Me, It Was Tuesday, but is more likely to be caused by it. This trope is also very common in Japanese anime, manga and videogames regardless of situation: It was part of the Samurai code of honour to tell your opponent your name before fighting them and not doing so was considered rude. May directly accompany a Heroic Second Wind.note Compare Transformation Name Announcement, In the Name of the Moon, Say My Name, I Am X, Son of Y. See also My Name Is ???.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Occurs a lot in Bleach.
"I'm the 3rd seated officer of Zaraki's division, Madarame Ikakku! You don't have to tell me your name, you just have to remember mine...because it's the name of the man who'll kick your ass!"
- Most of the Arrancar seem to have some sort of honor hangup where they need to know their opponent's name. Byakuya flat out refuses to give his because he doesn't see any point in giving his name to someone (Zommari) who's about to die, and Mayuri only asks Szayelaporro's name because he wants to know what to label the jar he'll be in. Yes, all of them are guilty of adding in their rank for no real reason. Only Ulquiorra and Yammy were late on it; Ulquiorra didn't bother with his last name until he'd already killed Ichigo, and Yammy did it when he off-screened Rukia, Renji, and Chad.
- This trope is directly invoked by Ikkaku, who believes that you should only introduce yourself to an opponent if you intend to kill them. Which makes this line all the more badass.
- Ichigo's inner Hollow: I have no name!
"I am... Zangetsu!"
- Later, Ichigo's inner Hollow reveals that this statement was false, and tells Ichigo his actual name. The true significance of this isn't revealed to the readers for another six years.
- Zigzagged with the Vandenreich, as its members have varying degrees of Combat Pragmatism. The Stern Ritter who fights Kyouraku during the first assault clearly feels no need to introduce himself, as 40 chapters later we STILL don't know his name. On the other hand, Haschwalth, Kyouraku's opponent in the second assault, makes a very formal introduction, which Kyouraku reciprocates.
- An epic example when Ichibei erases Yhwach's name, greatly reducing his power. Just when Ichibei thinks he's about to win, Yhwach counters the ability, declares his name, and kills him.
- In Digimon Xros Wars, Shoutmon tends to begin a fight with something along the lines of "We are the ones who will change this world! We are Xros Heart!"
- Played for Laughs in Rurouni Kenshin:
- "I, Misao Makimachi, see no compelling reason to give villains like you my name!"
- Dragon Ball Z (technically Dragon Ball Kai): "I'm a proud Saiyan who calls Earth home, and I'm here to defeat you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!"
- Vegeta also does not let us forget that he's the "Prince of all Saiyans".
- Fate/Zero: Rider particularly does this, in the form of exposing himself as Iskandar, the King of Conquerors.
- GaoGaiGar: "My name is J! Soldat J!"
- Haruhi Suzumiya: Played straight and inverted.
- ''My name is Haruhi Suzumiya and I'm from east Junior high. I have no interest in ordinary humans! if any of you are aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers, come join me. that is all.
- She introduces herself to the Computer President after drop-kicking him. Also, she was accepting his challenge instead of delivering one.
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Polnareff gets in an epic one when he figures out how to beat J.Geil's Hanged Man Stand:
Polnareff: Hey, Kakyoin. You don't say things like that in this kind of a situation. Listen! In situations like this, you've got to say something more like this before you get your revenge. My name is Jean Pierre Polnareff. For my sister's honor, and so that my friend Avdol can rest in peace... I'm going to hurl you into the depths of despair, J. Geil!
Kakyoin: Polnareff, that's not what you say here. When taking revenge, you shouldn't say, "Why, you...". You say this. My name is Noriaki Kakyoin. To avenge my friend, Avdol, and so the soul of Polnareff's sister may rest in peace, I will have you pay with your life.
- Immediately after, Kakyoin gets one as well.
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn!: Hibarin from Monster Tamer Tsuna, "I am Hibarin, the dreadful vampire. My address is Demon Valley 2-4. I love Salisbury steak and coconut juice. My hobby is to have fun by myself. And to bite weak people to death. And to play with birds." Cue Tsuna lampshading this trope, "He's giving an introduction when nobody asked for one! And it's taking forever." And Hibari finishing his monologue with this: "And to patrol my castle. That's right. I have one last thing to say. I'm not much of a talker.
- Light Yagami from Death Note informs Naomi Misora that he is Kira, approximately one second before her death kicks in.
- Lyrical Nanoha:
Vita: "Time-Space Administration Bureau's Riot Force Six; Forward Stars' sub-commander, Vita."
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's: "Time-Space Administration Bureau Part-time mage, Fate Testarossa." She does this right after saving Nanoha and right before attempting to place Vita under arrest.
- Done again by both parties during ep 12, right before each of them attacks the Final Boss.
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, we have this little gem:
Zest Grangaitz: "Zest."
- Mahou Sensei Negima! Accompanying a Heroic Second Wind:
Nodoka:" I am Miyazaki Nodoka, treasure hunter and member of Ala Alba. My counterattack starts here."
- Naruto: "My name is Naruto Uzumaki, and I'm gonna beat every one of ya!"
- This happens a lot in the Pokémon anime, especially during gym battles.
- Ranma ˝: I am Ranma Saotome of the Saotome School of Anything-Goes Martial Arts (here, hold my bag a sec). I accept your challenge!
- Shakugan no Shana: "I am a Flame Haze, one who swore and chose to protect the balance of the world!"
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Simon: My Name is Simon. Leader of Team Dai-Gurren. If you've decided to be a wall that's standing in my way, I've got something that will open a hole in you every time. And that something is MY DRILL!
- The heroes have a catchphrase that precisely announces a 'I AM/WE ARE XXX' shout by whoever it is to kick ass: WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM/WE ARE?!"
- This trope became Nia's first Crowning Moment of Awesome! "The Spiral King Lordgenome's eldest daughter, Nia Teppelin commands you to stand down, Andiane the Elegant! Are you aware of who I am?" Simon and Yoko instantly did a "holy shit!" expression upon hearing it.
- Two episodes later, Simon's meteoric return had him pulling off one: "My Bro is dead. He's gone. But on my back and in my heart, he continues to live on! (Guame: "Huuuuh?!") Drilling to pierce the heavens: even if I'm digging my own grave, as long as I break through, it's my victory! (Guame: "What? What the hell are you talking about?!") Who the hell do you think I am? I'm not my Bro, Kamina. I AM ME! SIMON THE DIGGER!!!" Then he proceeds to kick major amounts of ass...
- Simon continues this in the final showdown with Lordgenome as a Pre Ass Kicking One Liner:
- In A Certain Magical Index, magicians have a Magic Name, which they typically only reveal in a very serious situation, like when they declare they will kill someone, or when they need to use their full power.
- Romeo X Juliet: "I am Juliet Fiamatta Ars Di Capulet!"
- When a brainwashed and tortured Wolverine first recovers his memories and powers in the "Insane in the Brain" storyline:
Dr. Rot: This is your last chance, Patient X. Do you hear me? Patient X?
Wolverine: My name... is Logan!
- This gem from Superman: Man of Steel #96 in 2000, as Eradicator was trying to get him to turn away from his Human upbringing and constantly calling him Kal-El.
Superman: My name is Clark Kent. Get out of my home. Get off my planet.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Promise, after someone throws a rock at Sokka, Toph comes to defend him with this:
"That's it! Don't you dunderheads know who I am? I'm Toph Bei Fong, the greatest earthbender of all time! When my friend tells you to calm down, you calm down!"
- This classic from The Mighty Thor Vol 1, #379 in 1987, by Thor himself to Jormungand.
But I have many names, serpent, even as you. Vingthor the Hurler, Longbeard's Son, have I been called. Hrodr's foeman, too. In Tyr's ancestral home, wisest Hymir knew my name as Veur; unhappy Hrungnir's playmate some have called me. East of Elvigar in Gianthome they whisper Hloriddi's name. My father called me son. My mother called me darling. And beneath the vaults of Heaven, I am Thor Odinson, the Thunderer, Jormungand's Fear!
- In .hack Trilogy Abridged, Haseo's version of this is: "My Name Is Haseo the Terror of Death, you killed my Shino, Prepare to Die!!", and he says it when he battles Tri-Edge.
- Konata Productions' Neon Genesis Evangelion Abridged Series introduces Touji Suzahara with him saying "My name is Touji Suzahara. You killed my screen time. Prepare to die!!"
- A cult classic, Pokémon Revisited, has Ash burst into every gym with the line "My name is Ash, and I'm here to KILL YOU!" in way of challenging the gym leader.
- In Total Drama Battlegrounds, Ezekiel uses this trope in the virtual reality game after zombies kill his girlfriend, Heather.
- The Elemental Chess Trilogy gives Roy Mustang a short speech like this, when confronting The Mole of the second story.
- The Immortal Game: Twilight Sparkle has a brief, but epic, moment like this when Titan is torturing her, while referring to her as "pony", "unicorn", and by the name of one of her ancestors who fought him the first time around. The pain causes her mind — which had previously fractured from trauma earlier in the story — to fuse back together, restoring Twilight to her true personality and power. Cue asskicking.
- Ace Combat The Equestrian War: Fluttershy, before unleashing a beatdown on Night Raven and after he scoffs at her.
Night Raven: Who do you think you are, you wimp?
Fluttershy: My name is Fluttershy! I’m a member of the Mirage squadron! And I've sworn to protect Equestria and my friends! I’m a pony that represents the Element of Kindness! But, to you... I will show no mercy!
- The Wizard in the Shadows: Harry, Deadpan Snarker that he is, considers that he should have used a variation on the original to Voldemort: "Hello. My Name is Harry Potter. You killed my parents. Prepare to die."
- This is after he quotes the 'to the pain' speech to the Mouth of Sauron.
- In the Horseshoes and Hand Grenades sidestory, Month of Sundays: "I am Akiko Narumi-Terui, daughter of the famous Souichi Narumi... and the new Kamen Rider Skull! Prepare to die!"
- In the fan film The Jedi Hunter, which spoofs the Star Wars franchise in the form of The Crocodile Hunter with Boba Fett in the Steve Irwin role, Boba utters the trope almost word-for-word in his climactic showdown with Mace Windu:
Boba Fett: G'day, mate! My name is Boba Fett. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
- Child of the Storm has the following, when the Winter Guard break into Xavier's school:
"Good evening. My name is Magneto. You kidnapped my daughter. You kidnapped my daughter's godson. You tortured them both. You have twisted the latter into your weapon," he said. The glow in his eyes blazed brighter, in concert with the soft, cold rage infusing every syllable. "I would like to discuss this."
Films — Animation
- Monsters vs. Aliens: "The name... is Ginormica."
- Brave: "I am Merida, firstborn descendant of the Clan DunBroch. And I'll be shooting for my own hand!"
- The Book of Life: "My name is Joaquin! Son of Captain Mondragon! Tonight, the town of San Angel, is under my protection. Prepare to be defeated."
- The title character of Moana tries to intimidate the demigod Maui into helping her with a well-prepared speech centered around the line "My name is Moana Waialiki." When she actually gets to say it to Maui's face, she can barely finish the line because Maui is too focused on discussing his many titles.
Films — Live-Action
- In The Princess Bride, this happens just like in the book. Inigo begins repeating it, first barely louder than a murmur because of his injuries. He soon progresses to nearly screaming it.
Rugen: Stop saying that!
- "The name is Bond. James Bond."
- In The Godfather Part II, Young Vito Corleone/Andolini confronts an elderly Don Ciccio, who killed his parents when Vito was a boy. Don Ciccio asks "Tell me, who was your father?" Vito replies "My father was Antonio Andolini, and this is for you!" He then proceeds to stab him and start a gunfight.
- From Gladiator:
Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions. Loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, Husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
- Occupation version: in the second Night at the Museum, Larry finishes his fight with Kahmunrah with "I'm the nightguard".
- "I am Batman!" Done at least once per continuity. Take a look. And this is still not all of them
- The Neverending Story: "If we're about to die anyway, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me, G'mork! I am Atreyu!"
- "This is Constantine. John Constantine... asshole."
- Apocalypto: "I am Jaguar Paw, Son of Flint Sky. My father hunted this forest before me. My name is Jaguar Paw, I am a hunter. This is my forest, and my sons will hunt it with their sons after I am gone. Come on! COME ON!!"
- The Island: "My name is Lincoln!!!"
- The first Transformers movie. To clear up all that "N.B.E.-01"/"Ice Man" nonsense the worthless human insects have been calling him, the leader of the Decepticons announces himself: "I AM MEGATRON!"
- X-Men: The Last Stand "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!"
- The Matrix: "My name. Is. Neo!"
- Mortal Kombat: After Shang Tsung tries for the second time to drag someone else into the final fight:
Liu Kang: "I am Liu Kang, descendant of Kung Lao. I challenge you to Mortal Kombat!"
- Beautifully subverted in Once Upon a Time in the West. Harmonica never tells Frank his name. When Frank demands to know, he gives him plenty of names, but none of them his.
Frank: Who are you?
Harmonica: Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood.
Frank: More dead men.
Harmonica: They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
- Played straight, however in For a Few Dollars More, where Mortimer called out Indio with "Colonel Douglas Mortimer, Indio - does that name mean anything to you!"
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990): "The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones."
- Pulp Fiction: "I'm Winston Wolf. I Solve Problems." And then he does.
- "Terry Sugury's my name, but some people call me The Streetfighter."
- In the famous finale of Inglourious Basterds:
Shoshana: My name is Shoshana Dreyfus, and this is the face...of Jewish vengeance!
- Star Trek
John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause, a smokescreen to conceal my true identity. My name is... KHAN.
- In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Khan has a particularly badass one after kicking the crap out of the Enterprise: "I wanted you to know who it was who had beaten you."
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Lone Ranger
Tonto: "See the face of my people as you die."
- Beauty and the Beast (2017): "Hello, Beast. I'm Gaston. Belle sent me."
- In The Princess Bride all the way through the book Inigo has been practicing his speech. After a huge buildup, when he finally gets to deliver it in the climax to his lifelong search, honing his sword skills for the battle of his life, his enemy runs away like a little girl. Of course, Inigo then chased Rugen down, and then repeated the speech several times with increasing volume as they dueled.
- Original Conan the Barbarian loved this. Best known example is probably in The Frost Giant's Daughter, where Conan and his opponent exchange this.
"Man," said he, "tell me your name, so that my brothers in Vanaheim may know who was the last of Wulfhere's band to fall before the sword of Heimdul.""Not in Vanaheim," growled the black-haired warrior, "but in Valhalla will you tell your brothers that you met Conan of Cimmeria."
- Used to great effect in the Codex Alera book Captain's Fury, when Tavi reveals that he is Princeps Gaius Octavian. Happens to be punctuated by a purely coincidental, plot relevant, volcanic eruption hundreds of miles away.
- In 1634: The Galileo Affair, by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis, there's a line something like "My name is Ruy Sanchez de Casador y Ortiz. Prepare to die," then subverts the reference's Heroic Second Wind. Our friendly neighborhood old fart proceeds to slaughter and get cut up, while his much-younger girlfriend-from-the-future wonders when he had a chance to read The Princess Bride and another uptimer realizes he didn't — he's Inigo Montoya's prototype.
- The Dresden Files:
Harry: My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk.
- Averted in Cordwainer Smith's "On the Sand Planet", where Casher O'Neill, after gaining enlightenment on his quest, does NOT use any of the scenes he has mentally rehearsed for years.
- A Song of Ice and Fire:
Oberyn: Have they told you who I am?
- In what George R. R. Martin admits is a homage to Inigo Montoya, A Storm of Swords has Oberyn Martell doing this when he manages to arrange a duel with Gregor Clegane, who 15 years earlier raped and murdered his sister and her infant son.
Gregor: Some dead man.
Oberyn: I am Oberyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. Elia was my sister.
Oberyn: Elia of Dorne. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children.
Theon: You have to know your name.
- To which Gregor, after a few repetitions of the phrase, shouts, "Be quiet. Shut your bloody mouth!" - in other words, "Stop Saying That!"
- Also deconstructed hard. Oberyn had very nearly won and could have killed Gregor, but he stopped to get a murder confession. This gave Gregor the opportunity to kill him.
- Inverted in A Dance with Dragons, after Theon Greyjoy pulls a Crowning Moment of Awesome by saving Jeyne Pool from Ramsay Bolton and getting both of them to reach Stannis's army safe and sound
- The Lord of the Rings:
Strider: I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and I am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!
- For greater badass-itude, he later calls out Big Bad Sauron via Palantír, saying much the same (except for the aid or thwart me bit).
- Played with in the Discworld novel Thief of Time, where it's done in third-person after a lowly janitor dares to enter the dojo of an Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy.
Old Master: Hold! Do you not want to know the name of the man you are about to destroy?
Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: I don’t need to know the name of a sweeper.
Old Master: It is always wise to know the name of a sweeper, boy. And my question was not addressed to you.
- The incuels in Tough Magic have the combatants announcing their names to each other while bowing, in a more formal use of this trope.
- In An Army Of T He Dead, before they fight, Sergeant Alon and Chief Mordan introduce themselves to the other.
- At the climax of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Tom Riddle demands to know how the barely-a-year-old Harry was able to defeat Lord Voldemort, to which Harry retorts that Voldemort was decades after Riddle's time. Riddle then writes out his full name ("TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE"), before revealing it's an anagram of "I AM LORD VOLDEMORT".
- Game of Thrones: After Arya kills the Waif and shows her removed face to Jaqen, the following exchange happens as she leaves the Faceless Men for good.
Jaqen: Finally... a girl has become no one.Arya: A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell. And I'm going home.
Clark: My name is Clark Kent.
Clark, "reprogrammed" by Jor-El: I am Kal-El from Krypton.
- And also...
- A chilling example from "Harvest": "My name is Lex."
Duncan: I am Duncan Mcleod, of the clan Mcleod.
- Scrubs does this in Season 7's "Finale", where Dr. Cox is telling a Bedtime story to his son. Cox, as a brave knight, says to a monster (in reality an illness affecting a patient):
Cox: My name is Percival Cox. You're killing my friend. Prepare to die.
- Babylon 5
"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."
- Doctor Who: The Doctor himself has done this on many occasions, especially post-Time War when he is the only living Time Lord. Some examples:
- In Andromeda's "Music of a Distant Drum", a season one episode. Tyr loses his memory after a crash, and slowly regains it bit by bit. When he finally remembers:
- NCIS Season 7, episode 1 does this with a slight twist. Towards the end, after McGee tries and fails to kill Saleem, Tony says to Saleem, "I told you about every member of the team, except myself. The part I play... I'm the wild card. I'm the guy who looks at the reality in front of him and refuses to accept it." (Technically Tony tells Saleem his name much earlier, but this is the point where he really tells Saleem WHO he is, and right before Saleem is killed.)
Franks: My name is Mike Franks! I figure I got one more fight in me... You want it?
- Done as strait as an arrow in season 8, episode 23 with Mike Franks' last stand.
- Seinfeld: In the episode where George does the opposite of what he normally does, he meets an attractive woman. Since George normally gives fake identities when meeting people, he ends up doing this. It actually works
George: Hi, my name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.
- Nikita: Alex does this to Vlad, the man who sold her into white-slavery.
Alex: I am Alexandra Udinov, daughter of Nicholai Udinov. And this is your reward.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Demon Guard: You work, and you live. That is all. You do not complain or laugh or do anything besides work. Whatever you thought, whatever you were does not matter. You are no one now. You mean nothing. (to boy) Who are you?
- Skins does this in series four. Arguably Katie's Crowning Moment of Awesome.
Katie: I'm Katie fucking Fitch, who the fuck are you?
- Lost: Season 5, episode 12, Ben Linus upon approaching Penny Widmore: "Hello. My name is Benjamin Linus". He wasn't prepared to duel her, though; He was about to kill her when Desmond, whom he just tried to neutralized by shooting him, attacked him from behind.
- Mitchell from Being Human uses a non-violent version of the same style of threat to get a room full of Vampires to shut up and listen to him.
My name is John Mitchell! And I've killed more people than you've met.
- The way that D'Artagnan introduces himself to Athos in the 2014 BBC version The Musketeers so closely mimics Inigo Montoya that it's virtually a Shout-Out to fans of The Princess Bride, but this is actually a subversion of the You Killed My Father trope since Athos has been framed and later D'Artagnan will work with Aramis and Porthos to prove his innocence, naturally becoming Fire-Forged Friends in the process.
D'Artagnan: I'm looking for Athos.
Athos: You've found him.
D'Artagnan: My name is D'Artagnan of Lupiac in Gascony. Prepare to fight. One of us dies here.
Aramis: (ironically) Now that's the way to make an entrance.
Athos: Can I ask why?
D'Artagnan: You murdered my father.
Athos: You're mistaken. I'm not the man you're looking for.
D'Artagnan: (charging with his sword drawn) MURDERER!!!
- The Big Bang Theory: Season 9, episode 5 "The Perspiration Implementation" has Raj and Howard quote the line word-for-word to each other while being taught fencing by Barry Kripke.
- Also features some pretty intense flynning from the main characters the moment Kripke's back is turned.
- Johnny Cash as the title character singing "A Boy Named Sue" when he meets his father, who gave him that name that caused guys to beat him to a pulp: "My name is Sue. How do you do? Now you're gonna die!"
- Also, Johnny Cash at the start of every show he ever did:
"Hello. I'm Johnny Cash."
- In The Distillers' "The Young Crazed Peeling", one of the lines in the first verse of the song goes like this:
My name is Brody, I'm from Melbourne
Fitzroy Melbourne, Fitzroy Melbourne
I grew up on Bell St. then on Bennett St.
My mom kicked out my dad for battery
Myths & Religion
- In The Odyssey, Odysseus just kicked the butt out of a Cyclops, Polyphemos. As he leaves he brilliantly declares "Kyklops,/if ever mortal man inquire/how you were put to shame and blinded, tell him/Odysseus, raider of cities, took your eye:/Laertes' son, whose home's on Ithaka!" He may as well have given him the precise longitude and lattitude of his house, and just thrown in his social security number, too.
- Protip: if you live in Greece's "Age of Heroes" and you're already well acquainted with several mean-tempered gods, wounding the son of Poseidon is almost as dumb as killing Inigo Montoya's dad.
- Saying hello and introducing himself was the gimmick of Dolph Ziggler in WWE up until he met Vince McMahon, who wanted to know who he was but Dolph was to flabbergasted to answer.
- Boogeyman wants you to know who he is and that he's coming to get you.
- "MY NAME IS ALBERTO DEL RIO!!!!!!! But you, you already know that!"
- Chrono Trigger has Frogs' heroic speech. "My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!"
- in Dark Souls, Siegmeyer of Catarina shows his badass side this way when he decided to help you to defeat the Chaos Demons.
I'm Siegmeyer of Catarina, AND YOU SHALL FEEL MY WRATH!
- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep: "My name is Master Aqua. Now return my friend's heart or pay the price!"
- Mass Effect has countless great moments, but a great Moment of Awesome is in the third game when Wrex leads the Krogans to take back the nuclear wastelands of their Death World Tuchanka from the Reapers, just after they got a cure for the disease that drove them to the brink of extinction:
- The Secret of Monkey Island has "My name is Guybrush Threepwood! Prepare to die!"
- Shadows of the Damned brings us: "My name is Garcia Hotspur, hunter of demons, my wrath is your hell!"
- Hakumen from BlazBlue does this all the time.
Hakumen: "I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world, and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen! The end has come!"
- Used by Viktor Reznov in Call of Duty: Black Ops during the Rebirth Island Mission when you break into Friedrich Steiner's Lab. Only, it's not Reznov who said it, but Mason.
Reznov: My name is Viktor Reznov. AND I WILL HAVE. MY. REVENGE!!''
- In Super Robot Wars, anyone who's about to be on the receiving end of Sanger's BFS will at least get to know that "I am Sanger Zonvolt, the sword that cleaves evil!" Wodan Ymir does pretty much the same thing.
- Sir Ano does this in one of the Oaklore quests in DragonFable.
Sir Ano: My name is Sir Ano de Berg'rac. You're planning to kidnap my princess. Prepare to die.
- Ezio in Assassin's Creed II after he stabs Uberto Alberti to death: "The Auditore are not dead! I'm still here! ME! Ezio! Ezio Auditore!"
- From Fire Emblem, we get KIERAN, LEADER OF THE FIFTH PLATOON OF THE CRIMEAN ROYAL KNIGHTS! / SECOND COMMANDER OF THE CRIMEAN ROYAL KNIGHTS!.
- Dwarf Fortess does this in Adventure Mode with anyone you can talk to, especially the ones you've been sent to kill. Speeches typically have their name, relation to other histrorical figures, kill list, and then the obligatory "prepare to die" if they're trying to kill you.
- Gruntz: when a grunt carries a sword and is forced to walk around non-stop for longer periods of time, you can hear him saying this: "My name is Grunt Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
- From Xenoblade, Dunban says sometimes the following in battle :
Dunban: I am Dunban! Attack me, if you dare!
- In Mortal Kombat X, Quan Chi makes the mistake of addressing his former minion as Scorpion:
"My name is Hanzo Hasashi! You killed my wife! My son! And then you burrowed your way into my head. Misdirected my vengeance. Cost me my one chance to have them restored!"
- In World of Warcraft, the Thunder King Lei Shen lets you know exactly what you're dealing with if you attack him:
"I am Lei Shen, slayer of kings and gods. You have made a grave mistake."
- Assassin in Fate/stay night introduces himself formally on initiating a duel, though he doesn't insist Saber identify herself.
- Inverted in Umineko: When They Cry Episode 6; when Erika delivers her dramatic introduction to Crowning Music, the battle is already over, she's lost badly and is prepared to die. She uses a similar line as a straight example for an intro in Ougon Musou.
- Played with straight in this this page of Last Res0rt.
- Yokyok in this strip of The Order of the Stick, parodying the Trope Namer.
- Bob and George "My name is Mega Man! You killed my dog! Prepare to die!"
- Avacado tries this in Trigger Star, almost word for word. The bad guy doesn't care.
- Girl Genius: "I am Gilgamesh Wulfenbach, son of Klaus. I will say this only once. Leave now, or you will die."
- Drowtales has Yami'ni pull this after breaking through some brainwashing by sheer willpower. Unfortunately for her her treacherous cousin was right behind her and stabbed her In the Back.
- In a later chapter Lulianne does this immediately before turning her sword on herself, having realized that she's been possessed by Khaless and not wanting to be forced to kill her own clanmate, making the saying of her name extra potent.
- My name is Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham. I end messes.
- Homestuck: After Brain Ghost Dirk becomes real, he paraphrases the Trope Namer to challenge Aranea:
DIRK: I am Brain Ghost Dirk.DIRK: You kissed my boyfriend.DIRK: Prepare to die.
- What makes this so perfect is that since he's basically Jake's idealized belief in Dirk, it makes complete sense for him to be quoting an old film.
- Tower of God: Ren introducing himself to Anak.
- "From the Royal Enforcement Division, no. 67, my name is Ren. I am your nemesis.''
- A running gag in That Guy with the Glasses' third anniversary special, Suburban Knights, features Angry Joe, dressed as Inigo Montoya and repeatedly getting the line wrong.
- The GEKICOM Elementals and the STRUQ Team in Ilivais X do this like it's required by law. They're all Large Hams anyway. En Arteya did as well, and technically Ashe too. Justified in that otherwise we'd have no idea who they are, due to their Monster of the Week nature.
- Aeofel does this constantly in Acquisitions Incorporated when he swears Oath of Eminity. Which he does a lot.
- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! Even Wilbur Finletter pulled this trope in one episode!
Wilbur Finletter: I am Wilbur Finletter. You killed my business. Prepare to die!
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Danny delivered one to Paulina while she was (unknowingly) under the effects of one of the two Amulets of Aragon. It didn't go as planned...
Danny: Hi! I'm Danny Phantom, and you are? [Paulina swats Danny through the window. Danny sits up a bit dizzy.] Testy, got it.
- Ben 10: Alien Force: Said by Kevin. "My name is Kevin Ethan Levin. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Too bad it didn't work. As usual. Though Kevin does eventually manage to kill the guy at the end of the episode.
- Word of God says that Kevin's mom actually read The Princess Bride to him when he was little.
- In the Futurama episode "Silence of the Clamps", Zoidberg of all people gets a pretty spectacular one:
My name isn't Slick. It's Zoidberg. JOHN F*CKING ZOIDBERG!!!
- Transformers Animated Final episode "Endgame, Part II":
Megatron: You're a persistent little Autobot.
Optimus: My name is OPTIMUS PRIME!
- In X-Men, both Gambit and Cable invoke this trope while fighting Apocalypse.
- VeggieTales had a take on the story of Israel's conquest of Jericho. After the walls collapsed, Joshua marches into the destroyed city, faced the two characters that had been taunting them from atop the wall this whole time, and shouted in an appropriately let's-try-this-again-shall-we tone: "Hello! My name is Joshua! And God has given us this land!" At which point they scream in terror and run for the hills.
- In the Steven Universe episode "Mirror Gem", Lapis Lazuli does it when she faces off against the Crystal Gems.
"I'm Lapis Lazuli, and you can't keep me trapped here anymore!"
- Manchu Chief Nurhaci issued a public manifesto citing Seven Grievances against the Ming Emperor, which included killing Nurhaci's father and grandfather, as a call for rebellion. The revolt was successful, and Nurachi became the first Qing Emperor of China. Alas, he did not get to kill his opponent - the last Ming Emperor committed suicide when the capital was about to be overrun.
- Hello. My name is Aixin-Jueluo Nǔ'ěrhāchì. You killed my father and grandfather and did five other things about which I am angry. Prepare to be Driven to Suicide while your capital is about to be overrun.
My name is Imigo Toyota! You killed my lawyer!