They fight and bite and fight!
Fight, fight, fight!
Bite, bite, bite!
The Itchy and Scratchy Show!"
- The characters are involved in the production of the show.
- The characters are fans of the show, or only see it occasionally.
- The show-within-a-show is a plot point.
- The internal show, in either variety, is eerily similar to the real show.
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Fan Works
- Animated Films
- Live-Action Films
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Animation
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- The smallest-scale model train is in the window of a toy store—which is in a model village that's part of a model train.
- The song "Movie in a Movie" by Tony Goldmark is about a ridiculously big set of nested movies.
- Family Guy has a miniature working pinball machine on the playfield, which is played by Stewie at key points during the game.
- Shrek, a reskinned version of Family Guy, has "Donkey's Pinball" instead.
- The Video Mode for Theater Of Magic is a video pinball game.
- Lights... Camera... Action! casts the player as a film Director who must finish a blockbuster action film.
- Dog City (the cartoon) in Dog City.
- The Muppet Show on The Muppet Show.
- In an episode of Dinosaurs (the early '90's animatronic puppet show), Earl watches a sock-puppet show where a woman refers to some skanky-looking characters as "cheap hose/ho's." (See Parental Bonus.) He says something close to, "I love this show. It's got one meaning that's funny for grown-ups, and one that's funny for kids!"
- "If you ever find out what you're watching is a show within a show, sit back and hang on for the ride of your life." — Jack Handey
- GURPS Magical Items 3 includes a brief description of a setting where The Fair Folk battle with Magitek Humongous Mecha in the chapter describing such mecha. The vignette for an earlier chapter on magic toys suggests that this setting is a popular kids' TV show in the world of GURPS Technomancer, with its own line of living action figures.