A character establishes their cachet by making a laconic self-statement, often in the form of a Badass Creed
. This follows the formula:
"I am [Full Name]! I [Verb] [Nouns]!"
A variation inserts the character's role or vocation:
"I am [Full Name]. I'm a [Job Tag]. I [Verb] [Nouns]."
This trope echoes the old military tradition of revealing nothing to your captors but "name, rank and serial number," as well as the poetry of saga.
See also Badass Creed
Not to be confused with Try to Fit That on a Business Card
, which is usually much wordier
Compare I Am X, Son of Y
and Large Ham Title
("I'm [Full Name], [Noun Verber]!
") with which this can be combined ("I'm [Full Name], [Noun Verber] — I [Verb] [Noun]s.
- Apocalypto: - "My name is Jaguar Paw. I am a hunter."
- Bonnie and Clyde: - "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."
- The Doors: - "I'm the Lizard King. I can do anything."
- In A Fish Called Wanda, - "I'm Harvey Manfren-gen-sen-ten. I'm, uh... with the CIA".
- And then, in Fierce Creatures - "My name is Rollo Lee, and as of yesterday, I have assumed command of this zoo."
- Gladiator: - "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of etc etc..."
- Lawrence of Arabia :
Auda : I am Auda Abu Tayi, does Auda serve?
Lawrence : Lawrence. I've been seconded to the Arab Bureau.
- Parodied a few times in Mystery Men, particularly in the Terrible Interviewees Montage.
I... am the Waffler. With my griddle of justice, I bash the enemy in the head, or I burn them like so! I also have some truth syrup, which is low in fat.
- The Prophecy - Christopher Walken, as Gabriel, has a great one.
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls. And from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.
- Public Enemies: - "I'm John Dillinger. I rob banks."
- Pulp Fiction - "I'm Winston Wolf. I solve problems."
- The Rock :
Stanley Goodspeed : I'm an agent with the federal, FBI, well... I'm Stanley Goodspeed.
- Shutter Island : - "My name is EDWARD DANIELS !"(twice). Later : - "My name is Andrew Laeddis. And I murdered my wife in the spring of fifty two".
- In Pitch Black, there are two in the same scene.
Paris: Paris P. Ogilvie. Antiquities dealer. Entrepeneur.
Riddick: Richard B. Riddick. Escaped convict. Murderer.
- In Sky High, Ron Wilson, bus driver, always refers to himself as "Ron Wilson, bus driver."
- Disney's Hercules:
Hades: Name is Hades. Lord of the dead. Hey, how you doin'?
- Danger Man varies the order a bit: "A messy job? That's when they usually call on me or someone like me. Oh, yes - my name is Drake. John Drake."
- Doctor Who:
- - "I'm The Doctor. I make things better."
- And "Harriet Jones, MP Flydale North," later "Prime Minister" and former Prime Minister.
- Dragnet: "My name's Friday. I carry a badge."
- Saturday Night Live: I am Lothar, of the Hill People. Much have I seen, and much have I done.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - [threateningly] "Maybe you didn't read the crew roster, but my name is Dax, and I'm the new science officer on this garbage scow, and you were in my seat."
- "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."