Who Are You?
Who are you? / Who, who, who, who / I really wanna know...
— The Who, Who Are You?The Hero has burst into the scene, has saved the girl, and is holding the villain at sword/gun-point. The villain (or maybe some other bystander), bewildered, demands "Who are you?" The hero usually responds with a Badass Boast, although a big monologue is not necessary. Sufficiently awesome heroes can get away with just their name, which is especially effective if it's the first time the audience is hearing it, or the first time the character has referred to himself by that name. A common subversion is when the boast is interrupted. If the hero's actions are especially amazing, the villain may demand, "What Are You?" instead. Precision F-Strike is sometimes employed when asking the question. Can also overlap with Who Dares?. Not to be confused with the ridiculously awesome song by The Who.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Full Metal Panic! when a Mook asks Sosuke who he is, he replies in a cool voice:
"I'm the garbage man."
- Inverted or...something in Gurren Lagann. The hot-blooded heroes were rarely actually asked, but often answered their opponents preemptively and at great length, always ending with the series' Catch Phrase / Arc Words, "JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?"
- Fullmetal Alchemist's resident Action Mom, Izumi, gave this repsonse:
"Normally, I'd say 'just a housewife', but today, I feel like showing off: I'm an alchemist."
- Her normal (utterly terrifying) response to 'what are you' was "a housewife." And it's true. She's Happily Married to a strong, silent-type meat butcher and is great with the local kids (though horrifyingly abusive toward her students)...and everything else in the series that isn't an Eldritch Abomination finds reason to fear her.
- Tragically, she never will be an Action Mom. Or any other kind of mom. Except potentially adoptive, but she doesn't seem interested in that.
- Sailor Moon villains were fond of this one. The hero who got this the most was Tuxedo Mask.
- In Machine Robo Revenge Of Chronos, any villains that has just been lectured by Rom Stoll will often demand to know who the hell Rom is for lecturing them like that, in which Rom's reply would be "YOU DON'T DESERVE TO KNOW MY NAME!" before Rom began kicking ass. This also extends to anyone in Super Robot Wars that got speeched by Rom... even an Angel.
- The first issue of All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder included this memetic exchange (which, for better or for worse, effectively set the tone for the series as a whole):
Dick Grayson, Age 12: Who the hell are you anyway, giving out orders like this?
Batman: What are you, dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the Goddamn Batman.
- Kyon Big Damn Hero has this exchange just after Kyon arrivies to save Tsuruya and her bodyguard from a dozen Yakuza:
Yakuza Mook: You've bought yourself ten seconds, and a one-way ticket to a world of hurt, kid. Who the hell do you think you are?Kyon: Today, I'm a defender of justice, and that girl's guardian. Cliche though it may sound ... from this point on if you want to get to her, or him, you go through me.
- From A Growing Affection:
Ninja!Reaper: It is over, ninja. Give me your name, that I may remember it.Naruto: My name is Naruto Uzumaki. And there's no way I'm going to die here. I'm going to be the next Hokage.
Films — Animated
- Mulan: Mushu heads over to the fireworks area during the final battle, and is asked by the guards there, "Who are you?" He responds, "Your worst nightmare," and they flee.
- Rafiki does this with Simba in The Lion King in a non-evil variation.
Simba: Creepy little monkey. Who are you?Rafiki: The question is, who are you?
- Hoodwinked! has a variant in the form of Red Puckett's reaction to seeing the Wolf impersonating Granny:
Red Puckett: What? Who are you?The Wolf: I'm your grandma.Red Puckett: Your face looks really weird, granny.The Wolf: I've been sick, I... uh... [puts his hands over his chest]Red Puckett: Your mouth doesn't move when you talk.
- Said by Tai Lung in Kung Fu Panda when Po interrupts him while he's choking the life out of Master Shifu when he doesn't divulge the location of the Dragon Scroll.
Tai Lung: Who are you?Po: Buddy, I... am the Dragon Warrior! [bows over, panting over from climbing the stairs]Tai Lung: [incredulous] You? (laughs). He's a panda! You're a panda! What are you gonna do, big guy? Sit on me?Po: Don't tempt me.
Films — Live-Action
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl has this, aimed at Will Turner. It features a mild subversion, with Jack trying very hard to keep Will from answering, since it will derail his plans.
- Kick-Ass has this a couple times. First when Kick-Ass saves the guy outside the store, and the guy with the camera phone says it:
Bystander: Dude, who are you?
Dave: I'm Kick-Ass.
- Lawrenceof Arabia uses this far too many times to count. Once even before the film transitions into the extended flashback that makes up the vast majority of it.
- From Rambo III:
Zaysen: Who are you?
Rambo: Your worst nightmare.
- Batman uses the same line here.
- The Princess Bride:
Inigo: Who are you?
Man in Black: No one of consequence.
Inigo: I must know.
Man in Black: Get used to disappointment.
Inigo: (shrugs) Okay.
- From Sgt Kabukiman NYPD:
Mook: Who are you?
Kabukiman: *Aside Glance* I'm Kabukiman.
- At the beginning of the first Naked Gun movie after beating up the various Arab leaders, Idi Amin and Mikhail Gorbachev:
"I'm Lieutenant Frank Drebin, Police Squad. and don't ever let me catch you guys in America. (Drebin then falls out the window)
- From Hook while Peter Pan is swordfighting a pirate mook:
Pirate: Hang on now, ain't you-Pan: Peter Pan.
- High Plains Drifter.
- Both the 1989 Batman and Batman Begins feature the classic Batman introduction:
Crook: What are you?!Batman: I'm Batman.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon features perhaps one of the lengthiest and floweriest examples of this trope:
Monk: Who are you?Jen Yu: [while menacingly unsheathing her sword] You want to know who I am? I am... I am the Invincible Sword Goddess, armed with the Green Destiny that knows no equal! Be you Li or Southern Crane, bow your head and ask for mercy! I am the dragon from the desert! Who comes from nowhere and leaves no trace! Today I fly over Eu-Mei. Tomorrow... I topple Mount Wudan!
- The Wizard of Oz has it
Oz I am Oz. The great and powerful. Who are you?Dorothy: I'm Dorothy, the small and meek.
- Vfor Vendetta: V's Establishing Character Moment involves lampshading the Fridge Logic in play:
Evey: Who are you?
V: Who? "Who" is merely a form following the function of "what," and what I am is a man in a mask.
Evey: I can see that.
V: Of course you can. I'm not questioning your powers of observation, I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.
Live Action TV
- Kamen Rider Decade gets this question a lot (usually preceded with a rude pronoun) when he finishes his Kirk Summation. The correct answer is, "Just a passing-through Kamen Rider. Remember that!"
- Doctor Who: The Doctor is another frequent recipient. How he replies depends on his personality at the time.
- The Doctor also asks this of River Song several times, until he finds out in series 6.
- Torchwood: Rex Matheson asks, "Who the hell are you people?!," before Gwen shoots down a hostile helicopter. Gwen nonchalantly answers, "Torchwood."
- Yelled by Bill O'Reilly to Stephen Colbert during his interview in The O'Reilly Factor.
- Angel. In "Soul Purpose" Spike saves a couple from vampires.
Woman: Wait. Who are you?Spike: (without turning to face them, hangs his head, then softly) I'm The Hero.
- One of the sets of Arc Words on Babylon 5, along with "What Do You Want?" and "Why Are You Here?" In contrast to its typical usage, giving your name or title is highlighted as being the wrong answer to the question.
- Burn Notice, the episode "Center of the Storm"
The Client: Who are you?Michael Westin: I'm Michael Westin, and I'm here to save you people.Hitman: WHO ARE YOU?!Michael Westin: *sigh* I'm Michael Westin, and I'm here to save these people.
- Happens on Leverage with Damian Moreau in season 3 after the heroes spent the entire third season taking him down. He has no idea who any of them are except Eliot.
- Variant: The Rock would often act nonplussed when being addressed by someone he viewed as inconsequential (which was pretty much everybody), waiting until they were finished before asking them, "Who in the blue hell are you?", then interrupting them after a couple of syllables with, "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!"
- WABC-TV Consumer Reporter Nina Pineda was asked this when she tried to get back money owed to a swindled customer. Her reply was "Channel 7!" This was included in a commericial for her, with Aretha Franklin's "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" as the soundtrack.
- Star Fox 64:
Cornerian Boss: Who are you guys?
Fox: We're StarFox!
Cornerian Boss: YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ANDROSS!!!!!!
- The end of Duke Nukem 3D (LA Meltdown), the defeated boss asks, "Who the hell are you?"
- From the Privateer intro:
Space Pirate: Who are you that flies so good? Are you insane?!
Grayson Burrows:: No, it's just got a load of cargo in the back, and a load of bills to pay at home.
Pirate: And I the same! You shouldn't kill me just for attacking you!
Burrows: I don't mind that you tried to kill me, but protecting myself against your kind gets to be expensive, and I'm on a budget! [missile to the pirate's face]
- Final Fantasy XII features one when the heroes finally do battle with the Big Bad: Vayne asks who Ashe is, an angel of vengeance or of mercy. Ashe replies that she comes as herself, and nothing more.
- Zuko of Avatar: The Last Airbender gets such a scene after he defeats a group of thugs in his Day in the Limelight:
Gao: Who... who are you?Zuko: My name is Zuko! Son of Ursa and Fire Lord Ozai! Prince of the Fire Nation and heir to the throne!
- Daffy Duck demands this of the unseen animator at the end of Duck Amuck.
- Evil Lawyer Goodwill gets clocked by a chair at the end of 1938's The Case Of The Stuttering Pig.
Porky and family: Who did that?Unseen Man: Me!Goodwill: Who are you?Unseen Man: I'm da guy in the third row...ya big sourpuss!
- Megatron meets Optimus Prime this way in the time-travel episode "War Dawn" from The Transformers.
Optimus: You've caused enough destruction for one day, Megatron!Megatron: I haven't even started.Megatron blasts Prime, but it glances off his armor.Megatron: You! Who are you?!Optimus: Your worst nightmare!Prime starts blowing away Megatron's army, single-handedly turning the tide.
- In Superman: The Animated Series, Superman asks this to Darkseid when the latter banishes his son Kalibak back to Apokolips. Darkseid blasts Superman with his Omega Beams, forcing him to kneel, and answers "That is who I am."
- Said by Marco in Star vs. the Forces of Evil, after he witnesses Star's magical abilities.
Marco: Who are you?Star: I'm a magical princess from another dimension.(Creates a rainbow that quickly bursts into flames).