He isn't nicknamed "Chameleon" for nothing.
A common gesture for villains, Anti Heroes
or anyone with a mean, sadistic streak. Usually paired with an Evil Laugh
, Laughing Mad
or Slasher Smile
This, like Lecherous Licking
, Finger-Lickin' Evil
, Overly Long Tongue
and other tongue tropes, is using the squicky nature of the tongue to symbolize someone you just don't like to be around - in this case, a dangerous person.
Subtrope of Character Tics
. Compare Licking the Blade
Anime and Manga
- One Piece
- Donquixote Doflamingo is known for making this kind of face, usually when he laughs. He's also a notorious Ax-Crazy pirate.
- Caribou is another, and he can come across as even more maniacal than Doflamingo. He also likes to lick his own hair while sporting a Slasher Smile.
- Bellamy the Hyena is another pirate who is often seen sticking his tongue. In fact instead of the more traditional skull, his personal jolly roger is a pair of lips with a tongue sticking out paired with the crossbones. It's all makes sense since he's Doflamingo's subordinate.
- Anime episode #49. In a Flash Back Kaien Shiba is possessed by the hollow Metastacia and turned into a vicious, deranged killer. At one point he sticks out his tongue at Rukia, as seen here.
- The Fifth Espada, Nnoitra Gilga, not only likes to do this, but he also has a reason for it: the number signifying his Espada rank is tattooed on his tongue. As a bonus Nnoitra also shoots his Cero from the tip of his tongue.
- When Nianzol first reveals his presence, mocking Shutara for accusing Yhwach of insolence, his grin is accompanied by his two tongues lolling out in a W-shape. His Sternritter letter is 'W'.
- Naruto: Orochimaru, being a humanoid snake, does this often. And it's all intimidating.
- Yami Malik from Yu-Gi-Oh! contorts his tongue in several different ways. It's very, very creepy.
Film - Animated
Film - Live Action
- Venom (especially Eddie Brock) had gone from being a villain, Anti-Hero and then zigzagging between the two ever since, but he's always memorable by his Slasher Smile with his alien tongue.
- Barty Crouch Jr. often licks his lips in his more insane moments in the film version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Barty Crouch Sr. begins to suspect that Mad-Eye Moody is actually his son when Moody licks his lips in the same manner.
- The Joker from The Dark Knight licks his lips while he talks a lot. Word of God states that this was a result of Heath Ledger being annoyed by the feeling of the scar prosthetics and unconsciously licking at them because of it and after seeing him do it a few times with the full make-up and finding it seriously creepy, they decided to just make it part of the character.
- In Highlander, the Kurgan does this to intimidate a group of nuns in a church.
- Kiss. Gene Simmons' onstage persona "The Demon" is a firebreathing monster of rock and roll. He's well known for sticking out his 7 inch tongue.
- The Undertaker is an electricity controlling, teleporting, implacable zombie who not only threatens his opponents with defeat but also their lives and souls. He likes to stick out his tongue◊ during his rest in peach pin.
- Tasha Simone, especially when using the stomach claw.
- Vampire Warrior Gangrel doesn't just have fangs but a pointy tongue◊.
- MsChif is a metal enthusiast banshee known for tormenting souls and sticking out her tongue.◊ (in the picture, she is using a modified Steiner Recliner to rip at Lexie Fyfe's lips)
- For that matter, the other half of the original Diabolic Khaos, Delirious is also known to let his tongue dangle on occasion or excessively lick around his face/mask.
- Mad Man Manson, who know, in his name and hairdo weren't big enough giveaways.
- Psycho Clown of AAA's Psycho Circus just doesn't know when to keep that thing in his mouth, it's always out.
- Black Rose usually has nonchalant and methodical approach to wrestling, but their are some opponents that make her completely lose it, such as long time enemy La Amazona and, for some strange reason, Angel Rose.
- The first World Wrestling League Heavyweight Champion Monster Pain, so much it is merchandised.
- Roderick Strong, after failing to win the Pro Wrestling Guerilla World Championship from Kyle O'Reilly, well his composure wasn't that normally associated with sanity.
- A staple of the Mutant Chronicles universe with its various demonic entities, especially Nepharites are found of lolling around with their worm-like tongues.