Pro Wrestling Guerilla (PWG) is a Professional Wrestling
federation based in and around Los Angeles
, California. If CHIKARA
is TV-Y7, and WWE
is TV-PG, PWG at some point in each show will hit TV-MA.
Established back in 2003, the company was founded by six wrestlers from California. As of 2010, it's still run by six wrestlers based in California (though not the same six).
Their main titles are the PWG World Heavyweight Title
, and the PWG World Tag Team Titles
. As of May 23, 2014, their World Champion is Kyle O'Reilly, and, as of July 26, 2014, their Tag Champions are the World's Cutest Tag Team, Joey Ryan & Candice LeRae.
Since this is a wrestling federation, there are a buttload of pro wrestling tropes that have been called upon. It would be remiss to not point out, however, that the majority of the matches they put on are governed by Rule of Cool
Tropes Associated with Pro Wrestling Guerilla:
- Armed Legs: The Young Bucks armed theirs by stomping in piles of thumbtacks.
- Christmas Episode: Astonishing X-Mas, which did not actually occur on Christmas but close enough
- Crossover: On October 28, 2007, they held PWG/wXw European Vacation II: Germany, a cross-promotional event with Westside Xtreme Wrestling at the Musikpalette in Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. They were also one of the hapless organizations to be invaded by Age Of The Fall, which started in Ring of Honor. They used to have a working relationship with TNA too, but that went sour over some issue with Highspots.com.
- Disco Dan: Disco Machine and The Human Tornado
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Check out the logo. Nemesis wears a Gorilla Mask.
- Facial Markings: Demus 3:16 and Stalker Ichikawa
- Force Feeding: The Young Bucks force fed Joey Ryan thumbtacks. This was partially because they accidentally switched their thumbtack bag with a gummy bear one, but them they tried to kick the tacks down his throat when he wouldn't swallow.
- I Have the High Ground: AR Fox, Yoshitsune and ACH standout but there are many other examples such as London And Kendrick, The Amazing Red and AJ Styles.
- Loser Leaves Town: Kevin Steen just barely avoided being deported back to CZW
- Masked Luchador: Chiva Kid has a goat mask, horns and all. Also, Hallowicked, Delirious, The Hurricane, Jushin Thunder Liger, Player Uno, Player Dos, El Generico, Nemesis, Super Dragon and Dragon Kid.
- Maniac Tongue: Roderick Strong when he turns on Kyle O'Reily after failing to win the PWG Championship, Delirious a lot.
- One Steve Limit: Adam Cole, Adam Page, Adam Pearce and Adam Thornstowe. Eddie Kingston and Eddie Edwards. Arik Cannon and Arik Royal. Jimmy Hart, Jimmy Jacobs, Jimmy Kagetora, Jimmy Rave, Jimmy Susumu and Jimmy Wang Yang. Jay Bradley, Jay Briscoe and Jay Lethal Jake Crist, Jake Manning and Jake Roberts. Dave Crist and Dave Finlay. Davey Richards and Davey Boy Smith Jr. And it goes on and on, if you didn't get that they don't follow this trope at all.
- Power Stable: Mount Rushmore
- Several to Kurt Russell. On January 24 and 25, 2004, they held the Tango & Cash Invitational, a tournament to crown the inaugural PWG World Tag Team Champions. Starting in 2011, one of their annual events is titled Kurt Russellreunion.
- To Back to the Future as well. The March 7, 2004 show was 88 Miles Per Hour! and the May 20, 2006 show was Enchantment Under The Sea
- The February 24, 2007 show was titled Holy Diver Down, combining Ronnie James Dio and Van Halen.
- Joey Ryan & Candice LeRae, The Worlds Cutest Tag Team
- AR Fox and ACH, The African American Wolves
- The Worf Effect: Roderick Strong was aware of this trope and got tired of being the measuring stick new comers to Pro Wrestling Guerilla were held against.
- Tournament Arc: Battle of Los Angeles and DDT4 (short for Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament) are two of their biggest events of the year.